Hi all,

I just bought my first real guitar, Fender Stratocaster (mex) from 2003.

When I started playing, without the amp, I noticed a buzzing sound from 6 and 3. Read a suggestion on the forum to change the strings, which I did. The problem is that I now have fret buzz on 6-5-4-3. I find this extremely annoying, especially since I can hear i through the amp as well.

So, the next step was to adjust the saddle on string 6 to raise it a bit. It helped but the buzz is still there so I lowered it again to the original level.

Went over to the local music store but they said "at least 3 weeks", and I don't want to wait that long (also, $70-80 didn't sound too good either).

So I was thinking, do I need to adjust the truss rod?

If I put a straight ruler on top of the frets, I can fit a piece of paper under the ruler from fret 5 to 12 which I guess means that the neck is bent backwards, correct?
From what I've read there should be a slight convex bend?

I know that there's a lot of information out there but they all have the truss rod adjuster way up the neck while it's by the pickups on mine which means I have to remove the plate?

Anyway, could someone who knows this kind of stuff help me out?

Thanks!
Last edited by Gussifer at Nov 19, 2008,
Yeah, if it's low-fret buzz it's more likely to be a poorly adjusted truss rod. If I were you, and it's a recent purchase, I'd take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it for you (for free), since it was obviously a problem present when they sold it to you.

If you bought it online/2nd hand, whatever, bit more tricky; either fork out for pro adjustment (might be recommended, if you're unsure of what you're doing), or, adjust the truss rod yourself.

http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2001-05-01_geneimbody1.shtml

talks you through it pretty well (your issue is 'back-bow')

If you do decide to take the risk and do it yourself, use little force, the right tools, and SMALL turns. Wait for the neck to settle.
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Nov 19, 2008,
Thanks,

I'm probably wrong here.

Mine is more like the "Typical Setyp", a small gap, but the gap is not larger than a piece of paper.

So I should turn the rod so that the gap get's somewhat bigger?

There's a lot of talk about breaking the neck of the guitar by turning the rod. Is there a real risk of doing just by gently turning the rod?
Ok,

After measuring the neck and measuring again, it's at the right bend.

If I slightly raise the saddle the buzz is somewhat better but still very loud closer to the body. It doesn't matter how high I adjust the saddle, the buzz is still there.

What have I left out here? If the neck is at the right bend what else could be wrong.

The new strings I put on are 0.046 instead of 0.042 for example, could this have a huge impact?

Thanks!
I had a similar problem with my Mexi Strat. After giving up, I took it to the guitar tech at a local store that has a good reputation. Scheduled an appointment for a week later, and I dropped off the guitar in the morning and got it back the same afternoon.

Guy did a bunch of fretwork on it, did some work to the nut, changed out some of the saddle screws and fixed the bridge down. I don't get anymore fret buzz now. I imagine it's the fretwork he did. Maybe he adjusted the truss rod too, not sure.

You can see the threads I made about it here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=985012

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=991327

I actually did adjust the truss rod myself as well, but it didn't seem to really do much and someone at work recommended me the guitar tech so that's why I took it in to him. Best $60 I've spent so far on my guitar.

I use 10-46 strings by the way.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
So this is what happened.

I found this guy who did guitar repairs. Turns out that he lived a couple of blocks away and had his workshop in the basement. Usually he wants to keep the guitar for three weeks to monitor any changes to the wood. However, I told him that I didn't care and that everything was better than what I had at the moment.

Got over there and he started fixing everything.
Changed the strings, adjusted the neck, made a new nut, tightened the bridge, did adjustments to the bridged, tuned and intonated.

This took over two hours and I learned a hell of a lot from it ($60).
No more fret buzz and the guitar sounds really awesome!

Closing comments, "this is as good as this guitar every will get".

Link to website (Sweden)
Quote by Gussifer
So this is what happened.

I found this guy who did guitar repairs. Turns out that he lived a couple of blocks away and had his workshop in the basement. Usually he wants to keep the guitar for three weeks to monitor any changes to the wood. However, I told him that I didn't care and that everything was better than what I had at the moment.

Got over there and he started fixing everything.
Changed the strings, adjusted the neck, made a new nut, tightened the bridge, did adjustments to the bridged, tuned and intonated.

This took over two hours and I learned a hell of a lot from it ($60).
No more fret buzz and the guitar sounds really awesome!

Closing comments, "this is as good as this guitar every will get".

Serious? If so that's awesome. After I got my Strat back from my guitar tech (which incindentally also cost $60 as I previously mentioned), this guitar honestly feels better than my friend's PRS which cost him more money, but that's just preference on my part. It sounds to me like it's the same for you cause you said it sounds really awesome. I'm really happy that you got your issue fixed, I know how it feels to finally have a guitar that doesn't have any issues and just plays how it's supposed to play, isn't it great?
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer