Well ever since I've been trying to learn John Mayer - Neon I've found it difficult to pull off a lot of the stretches on the fretboard. I always end up stretching my thumb really far. Recently my thumb has started "popping" at the knuckle each time I move it a certain way and sometimes when I play the guitar it causes tremendous pain. This is quite a let down for me because for the time being it's put me off guitar playing altogether (you don't realise how often you actually use your thumb).

Question!

Have any other people experienced this kind of injury or is it just me? And should I get it checked up to see if it's anything serious or should I just rest it and see what happens?
The one thing I fear is that if I get it checked, I don't want them to say I need surgery... which will probably screw my guitar playing for ages.

Suggestions?
Just let it rest until it feels better. I do finger stretching excercises everyday and when i finish my thumb hurts like a bitch, so i just relax for a half hour before i start playing again.
Quote by Giles92
Just let it rest until it feels better. I do finger stretching excercises everyday and when i finish my thumb hurts like a bitch, so i just relax for a half hour before i start playing again.

It's not just the pain that I'm worried about, its the popping noise and the feeling I get when I stretch it.
my thumb does that all the time.
you might be double jointed
OMG...i'm a girl.

GOO INDIGO TEAM!

X
I have the same problem. It's a nuisance in my left thumb and it exists to a lesser extent in my right. I know what you're talking about with what happens when you stretch... it sort of locks in place.

And resting it doesn't help, it's a permaneant problem as far as I know.
I play that song with a mixture of thumb/finger for fretting the 6th string, just go for whatever's comfortable, if you keep playing some chords with your thumb eventually your stretch will increase but dont strain yourself too much at first.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
I think I caused it from straining it too much without doing any stretching exercises. It's only a new thing, I've been playing with my thumb on the fretboard for years and only recently has it become painful....