Okay, the chords are

E flat 9 for 2 bars

D flat 9 for 2 bars. (then you repeat this)

B flat 7 sharp 9 for 4 bars.

A piece that I have to play soon for an exam has these chords and I don't know quite how to go about soloing over them. I'll give your suggestion a go and see if it hits the spot for me.

Thanks.
Bb Dorian.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Eb9: Eb, G, Bb, Db, F
Db9: Db, F, Ab, Cb, Eb
Bb7+9: Bb, D, F, Ab, C#

I'd use a scale that fits with those notes and resolves to where the progression resolves. I don't know though.

Edit: ^I probably agree.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Great, thanks. I'll try it out as soon as I can.

EDIT: You hit the nail on the head, it's just right. Thanks.
Last edited by Les Paul Ell at Nov 19, 2008,
Bb dorian is a good scale, just make sure you don't solo wildly with it. Be aware of the chords.

for example, in your Bb7#9 you have Bb D F Ab C#

Your Bb dorian mode is Bb C Db Eb F G Ab

You would want to avoid the natural 9 (C) over this chord. Try throwing in #9, or if you wanna get real fancy, flat 9 (B natural.) Also be aware of the 3rd in this chord. You have a D natural, when Db is diatonic. Granted, Db is the enharmonic #9, so it will still sound good in this case, but try throwing in some chromatic approaches to D natural to really pump the dominant sound out in your solo.

Db9 is Db F Ab Cb Eb

The 3 chord in dorian mode is diatonically a major 7 chord. So in this case, you would definately want to make sure all of your Cs become Cflats, in effect, making your scale of choice for this chord Bb phrygian natural 6. Really though, we would call this Db Lydian b7.

Eb9 is IV7 in Bb dorian, a primary cadence chord. Straight Bb dorian here.

Anyways, yeah. Bb dorian is your key, just be aware, thats all i'm sayin. hope you shred
"These are the words you wish you wrote down. This is the way you wish your voice sounds; Handsome and smart. My toungue's the only muscle on my body that works harder than my heart"
what ever happen to jazz again !,
try basing your solo or arpeggios rather than scales ,
arpeggios in question being dominant 13 for the 1st 2 chords and maybe a pentatonic minor for the last one .
you can start the arpeggios on the 3rd for a "charlie christian-ish" effect .
and connect some of the arpeggio tones with chromatic runs - 9th to octave or 13th to 5th and so on ...
let me know if you find this info useful
Okay, thanks for the responses, but I'm still a little confused with all this technical talk. Would anyone be willing to tab out the scales I'd need and point out which notes are the ones that I should be emphasising? Till then I'll try to work out how to do what the last two messages have been saying, but I'm mega confused.
Find the pattern for Dorian and just use your ear from there dude. Much more effective than me pointing you to notes. Experiment and you'll find them more organically for yourself.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Okay, I just took the exam. Used D Dorian for Eb9 and changed some the C to C flat for Db9 like you said ISLYJAM!
For the last chord, Bb7#9 I just used a Pentatonic Bb scale.

Once again, thanks to everyone who helped, hopefully I did well
Oww fck ive been playing for 10 months and i dont understand a sht from what youre talking about. i know nothing about scales and chord names ( i know simple chord names ) is it toooo bad should i learn them as soon as possible?
I converted the Db9 to Fmi7b5 and made the progression a I7 ii7b5 V7#9 making Eb7 the tonal center ... now the dominate scales of Eb7 Ab7 and Bb7 become related and interchangeable .. depending on the rhythm of the progression..you can stretch with your solo over the Bb7#9 as you have 4 bars to solo over..

the very tasty ii7b5 arpeggio works well for both the vamping of I7 to ii7b5 due to the diminished quality of the chord...with a nice altered dominate effect that will work against the V7#9

play well

wolf
Quote by blind.quardian
Oww fck ive been playing for 10 months and i dont understand a sht from what youre talking about. i know nothing about scales and chord names ( i know simple chord names ) is it toooo bad should i learn them as soon as possible?
When I had been playing for 10 months, I only knew a few open chords and I thought barre chords were impossible to play. Hang in there dude.

(Though I spent all that time learning how to read music so it didn't go to waste. Back then all I did was play guitar; nothing else.)
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Yea okay but i dont think i will have any problems playing any chord or scale so its not good that i havent learned anything. i need to start as soon as possible.