Dear Car buffs...

I need some advice on what sort of car to get. It would be my first car, but I'm almost 20 working full time, so I'm not really after an old banger.

I want something either reasonably fast (but not obnoxious), by fast I mean quick/powerful acceleration, I don't care if it maxes out at 88mph. (I'm a motorcyclist)

OR I want something ridiculously huge and safe like a range rover (not in the price range)

My budget isnt amazing for the requirements I just gave, but I have about £4000-5000 to spend but only on credit/monthly payments.

Anyway suggestions welcome.

Cheers
Quote by Steve The Plank
Hitler, is that you?
I just realised after clicking post that the majority of you guys will be kids, but if you know about cars anyway please contribute.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Hitler, is that you?
when ever these threads come up i always recommend a subaru. or maybe a VW the germans make good cars.
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

I didn't realise there was a car thread, it seems so rediculous that there is, there is no way I'm going to post in it.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Hitler, is that you?
any little german italian or french car.

Renault Clio, FIAT punto/panda/Seicento VW golf beetle polo

Just go to your local used car dealer, have a look at what you can afford and decide on whats in stock.
Arnold Clark seem to have pretty newish cars for low prices.

PSN ID: ArranP
£5000? Get yourself a Triumph TR6, wooar, I love those, pure British sports cars.

For five grand it wont be in great condition though.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Like OddOneOut said, have a look at a VW Golfs. It'll be a piece of cake to find a Golf IV in good condition within your budget. They're pretty comfortable and reasonably fast.

EDIT: Or a late '90s or early '00s Audi A4, fantastic cars even when they're a tad older.
DO NOT GET A FORD. They are close to going bankrupt along with General Motors and Chrysler. Even with a bailout, they will go through the money in months. Just a warning to you.

Also, now is a very good time to buy a car IMO, you can get some great deals because of the economy at the moment. It's like house prices, the longer you wait, the cheaper they will get. My advice would be to wait until after Christmas.
NOOOOO dont do it.
what bike do/did you last have?
seeing as you're 20 id suggest a cbr250, or zxr 250, both lovely bikes, and theyre fast yokes too. or you could get a factory restricted gsxr6, depending on the licensing laws in england i dont know them.
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

Quote by TheQuailman
Like OddOneOut said, have a look at a VW Golfs. It'll be a piece of cake to find a Golf IV in good condition within your budget. They're pretty comfortable and reasonably fast.

EDIT: Or a late '90s or early '00s Audi A4, fantastic cars even when they're a tad older.

www.autotrader.co.uk is showing mea rather lovely looking mk5 at £5000
I think my dad sold our mk4 at £5200, was in excellent condition, leather seats, some adjustments too. Sold it a couple of months ago, which was good. In january, older Golfs should be cheaper, since the mk6 comes out.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by irnbrurules
DO NOT GET A FORD. They are close to going bankrupt along with General Motors and Chrysler. Even with a bailout, they will go through the money in months. Just a warning to you.

Also, now is a very good time to buy a car IMO, you can get some great deals because of the economy at the moment. It's like house prices, the longer you wait, the cheaper they will get. My advice would be to wait until after Christmas.

Fail.

There are so many fords about that parts supply wouldn't be a problem for 10-20 years anyway.

TS, as Oddy has said Golfs are a good bet.
I know of an Integra Type-R going for £4K near me...
Just get out there and try a few really.

Avoid the French and Italians. Quirky and cute they may well be, but spit and cleenex does not last.
Mitsubishi Starion. Cheap. Will run for ages. You will however will be hard pressed to find one without a very high milage. Look gorgeous. Extremely quick, especially if you get the 2.5 turbo.

Or go for as said an old golf. Preferably not a mk2 -> 4 because those were the ones VW ruined. Look for a decent Mk1.

Or.. Seat Leon Cupra. Basically a Golf in cheaper clothes. Its a Golf GTI engine, but with a Seat badge. And if im honest they are a lot more gorgeous.
My Gear:

Washburn 6 String Bantam Series

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
Bare in mind insurance will cost a fair amount no matter what you get.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Get a Honda bro. Ridiculously reliable, especially the VTEC models. I was surprised to hear the other day that in the history of Honda VTEC there has NEVER been a warranty claim. Plus, they're hella quick, especially the 2.2 Preludes...mmm

The old shape Honda Civic type R's are great. Japanese, so it'll be reliable. Great cornering, fast, better than the new models and because there is a new model they'll be cheap as well.

And a word of advice: as Oli 88 said, avoid French and Italian cars like the plague. They are not known for reliabilty. Quite the opposite in fact. My uncle, a chief mechanic, calls FIAT's "Fix It Again Tomorrow", such is their poor reliability.
Thanks all, seems like generally I should avoid the italiofrancians, but am I quite interested in Japanese. I like the idea of Honda's too. My budget is dropping slightly, I can only really spend £2000 perhaps outright, more like 5k if its on credit.

Regarding getting a bike....I need a car for my work in construction management, so driving sort of 4 hours a day sometimes to either site visits or meetings so nowhere my leathers would be suitable heh.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Hitler, is that you?
2nd gen Mazda RX-7 (86-91)

'nuff said
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
I'll say again, be aware that insurance will cost quite a lot.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by elliott FTW
stick with bikes, thats what im doing!

Quote by munkymanmatt
NOOOOO dont do it.
what bike do/did you last have?
seeing as you're 20 id suggest a cbr250, or zxr 250, both lovely bikes, and theyre fast yokes too. or you could get a factory restricted gsxr6, depending on the licensing laws in england i dont know them.

^ I'm with these two.

You can ride any bike restricted to 33bhp for two years if you pass your test before the age of 21. Nothing to stop you de-restricting it after you've got the paperwork to say you had it done though.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Quote by pawnshopguitars
The old shape Honda Civic type R's are great. Japanese, so it'll be reliable. Great cornering, fast, better than the new models and because there is a new model they'll be cheap as well.

And a word of advice: as Oli 88 said, avoid French and Italian cars like the plague. They are not known for reliabilty. Quite the opposite in fact. My uncle, a chief mechanic, calls FIAT's "Fix It Again Tomorrow", such is their poor reliability.

Everyone calls them that.
Fords are known as Fix Or Repair Daily...

Cicvic Type-Rs can be had for about £5k now, pretty much bullet proof. But insurance will be about £3k. Friend of mine who is 20 drives one.

Heed what Jambi_mantra says. My car is 30 years old, a 1.8 and still costs £1600 a year.
astra 1.4...anythin over like 1.4 is so expensive on insurance...
mine is 1450 a year..where as a bike is 300ish
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=

THIS

You'll need to carry a stick with you to fight the bitches off.
get a nissan micra 1.3 and mod it a bit...dirt cheap, insanely reliable and very light with a nice revvy engine
Quote by pimpinazndude
^ wut he said

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Quote by Preid

THIS

You'll need to carry a stick with you to fight the bitches off.

This post is made of epic and win.
Preid. You've got style and taste.
haha! petrol...... you UKians are funny, not in a bad way, i've actually decided now that im gooing to say petrol instead of gas or fuel. seriously.
Some of the advice in this thread is absolutely hilarious, bar one or two posts.

If it is your first car, do you really want an old car that could crap out, have a high fuel bill and require constant maintenance, love and care?

Have you thought about getting a sensible car (from 2 to 3 years old) along the lines of a decent Corsa or Fiesta? It doesn't have to be flash, as long as it is reliable and gets you from A to B. Seeing as you only want a top speed of 88mph a 1.2 litre of either of those two cars would get you there easily.

Parts are common, cheap and so is filling it.

Paying a bit extra you could get something like a Golf. Not very original but nice, well built cars with lots of space. Tough build too.

Quote by BadgeMan
get a nissan micra 1.3 and mod it a bit...dirt cheap, insanely reliable and very light with a nice revvy engine

Not bad.
Used Skoda Octavia? Don't bitch because it's a Skoda, they're made from exactly the same parts as all VWs and Audis thesedays.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Ed Hunter
Used Skoda Octavia? Don't bitch because it's a Skoda, they're made from exactly the same parts as all VWs and Audis thesedays.

Even better get one of the earlier model Fabias, rock solid reliability and no assrapage when it come to insurance. Used to have VRS and it was the mutts nuts...

OP, you really, really will get buttf*cked for insurance with anything over 1.2 or anything considered sporty.. good luck!

EDIT: Avoid the 1.2 Corsa, my asthmatic wheelchair bound 90 year old grandma has better acceleration, you'll struggle to overtake cyclists...

SH
For 5k I got my Mk4 Golf GTI. Petrol 1.8 Turbo 20v 150BHP and it flies...

Awesome interior, and exterior come to think of it. Very nice sounding engine and very quick acceleration (I don't really help that with a 12" sub and amp in the boot though TBH)

I'm 20 and it costs me just over 1k insurance, god knows where you guys are getting your quotes!!

Golfs are a nice choice along with the Ford Focus (Tad common but so are Golfs) newer Ford Fiesta's (ST's are the way forward) but as someone said I probably wouldn't go with a Ford right now
"Remember, nothing says 'good job' like a firm, open-palm slap on the behind"

Gear:

Fender Highway 1 American Strat
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez Acoustic
Roland Cube 30
Boss GT-8
Last edited by spikey20001 at Nov 21, 2008,
First car? Get something that isn't pretty, is cheap to insure and doesn't use much fuel. Skodas and Seats are the same as VWs but cheaper. Peugeots and Corsas are cheap as hell to insure.
To be fair my first car was a 1.1L Peugeot 106 and the insurance was dearer than my Golf is now, and that was only a 1.1!!! Granted I had been driving for a year before I got my Golf.

Regardless, if you live in the UK and you are a youngish male you will get shafted for insurance. Getting a 5 door rather than 3 helps a bit as it is not classed as a "Boy Racer" car (depending on the make/model)

Gear:

Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez Acoustic
Roland Cube 30
Boss GT-8
Mercedes 190e, trust me, pure win

or a MK4 golf, thats wat im gettin
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
i have to admit, I laughed a little

at long f*cking last... a decent compliment

I POSTED THE PEAR ALL I GOT WAS A LOUSY WARNING
Quote by themightymitch
Mercedes 190e, trust me, pure win

or a MK4 golf, thats wat im gettin

You knows it....

Gear:

Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez Acoustic
Roland Cube 30
Boss GT-8
Quote by metalblaster
haha! petrol...... you UKians are funny, not in a bad way, i've actually decided now that im gooing to say petrol instead of gas or fuel. seriously.

Good idea.

Petrol = petroleum which is what cars run on. Unless you have a diesel, in which case it runs on diesel. Both are fuel, neither are a gas.

I'd expect insurance to be around £1000, might be able to drop it a bit lower with pass plus, I'll check before I take it. I learnt in a Corsa and Fiat Punto, both I didnt really like as cars as they look too much like flash trainers like a lot of modern cars and arnt very impressive in speed terms.

What are my chances of picking up a cheap but reliable pickup/4x4?
Quote by Steve The Plank
Hitler, is that you?