I searched for it, but alas could not find it.

Here's the story: The guitarist at my school can't set up guitars, and the school's new Mexican strat has an action about an inch off of the fret board. So, I lowered it down so that it's on the brink of buzz, but not quite. Problem solved. Now he's complaining that the bridge is throwing it out of tune, but I've never worked with a Strat-style bridge before. Should it be set parallel to the body like an FR, or is it meant to be placed at an angle? Any advice is greatly appreciated, my UG brethren.

~FI
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
u dont have to have it flush all though u can, mine has a slight angle so i can do dives both ways, its not like a floyd where it has to be exact or it will go out
Fender MIM Stratocaster With YJM pickup in neck
Esp Ltd Kh-202

Crate 15w

Electro Harmonix Metal Muff
DOD Yngwie J. Malmsteen OD
Digitech Rp 80
Does the angle affect it at all? Right now the bridge is tilted upwards, I'd say around a 30 degree angle.

is the back of the bridge tilted or the front, really the angle doesnt matter as long as its not TO extreme, maybe u should play it for a bit to see if it is going out of tune, i mean in no way will it stay in tune like a floyd but it should stay in tune pretty good mine does, and mines probly angled 15-20 degrees on the back
Fender MIM Stratocaster With YJM pickup in neck
Esp Ltd Kh-202

Crate 15w

Electro Harmonix Metal Muff
DOD Yngwie J. Malmsteen OD
Digitech Rp 80
The bridge is tilted away from the guitar. Not sure whether you'd consider that the back or the front.

i would say just put it flush to the body, by tightening the trem springs in the back, then the bridge wont move and he cant complain :P

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629891

Strat bridges can be set to float, but I personally don't like it, and wouldn't recommend it as it makes double stop bends impossible. For better tuning stability its normally best to have the bridge flat against the body.

Here's a different setup approach found on the bottom of this page .
Quote by Callaham Website
On vintage styled bridges the pivot screws need to be down almost to the top plate. I screw the screw down until it touches the plate and lifts the back off the body. Then back the screw off until the plate rests back down on the body. You should feel small movements, side to side and forward and back of the bridge. It pivots fully up and down. Too far down and the bridge will bind. Too far away and the bridge will slide up the screws. Both mistakes cause tuning problems.

I recommend a minimum of 4 springs for the bridges. They should be set so that if you are doing double stop bends, the guitar remains at pitch. This means the top plate will have a slight pressure against the body. Sorry no pull ups with a vintage bridge, unless you can live with pitch problems.
flip the guitar over and tighten the screws, and or add a spring.

make the bridge flush against the body.

there's no way for you to keep a school guitar balanced.

you'll be at it all the time, with others wanking on it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
A wealth of information, this is. Thank you all. I'm setting it up once for him, then the rest is up to him to keep it in shape.

Quote by Fatal Instinct
Does the angle affect it at all? Right now the bridge is tilted upwards, I'd say around a 30 degree angle.

then you need more spring tension in the back cavity.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer