Looking into getting an S series Ibanez.

I guess the real question is if I should go and buy an SV, SV prestige or just the plain old S. (The only one thats out of my price range is the E Gen 18... damn you Herman Li!!!! lolz)

Honestly I like the S, it has everything I need, I just wanted to discuss the equipment on the higher end models.

I don't want anyone telling my I should get a Gibson or Fender. I own an 87' Les Paul, I have a HSS Strat, and I've played the **** out of a buddies Dean Flying V. (not sure which model)

Please limit your comments to discussing the Ibanez S. Thanks guys, rock on!

P.S. I hope this is in the right forum, if not my apologies.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
I'm in the same situation as you. But I'm debating between the SA or the S. If I got the S it'd get a coil split straight away.

They seem like a guitar with massive potential.
Quote by ljohn
I'm in the same situation as you. But I'm debating between the SA or the S. If I got the S it'd get a coil split straight away.

They seem like a guitar with massive potential.

Its just soo light, the action is rediculous on these things. Currently looking at the S620EXQM... *drool*

These things have some serious shred potential.

I'm thinking about getting an S too.I think the SV prestige is the overall better guitar,But I think it depends on what you want to play.
If you're debating between an SV, SV prestige, or S, the prestige is the clear choice. It's just a higher quality model. If you want the ZRII bridge, though, I'd recommend the S5470. Everything is exactly the same as the SV5470, except it has a ZRII bridge, a locking nut, and different pickups. Same price, too.

Edit: I'm also saving up for the S5470, so I'm pretty biased. I've played the SV5470 also, and it's still a great guitar. I'm only 150 bucks away! Woo!
Quote by SlashYourFug
If you're debating between an SV, SV prestige, or S, the prestige is the clear choice. It's just a higher quality model. If you want the ZRII bridge, though, I'd recommend the S5470. Everything is exactly the same as the SV5470, except it has a ZRII bridge, a locking nut, and different pickups. Same price, too.

I like the S2170SE for that price... but your right about the SV5470, and the extra frets are a plus for sweep picking. Thanks!

Quote by TheQuailman
I've read on another board that the S 5470 lacks sustain, can anybody comment on that?

Ut oh... Someone please confirm/denounce!!!

Quote by TheQuailman
I've read on another board that the S 5470 lacks sustain, can anybody comment on that?

I think that really depends on how the guitar is set up. I was having sustain issues with my S7320 until adjusting the trem and action and got a new amp. So I'd say that's a real variable with sustain changing depending on the set-up of the rig, but also having said this I've never played a 5470.
I totally recommend the S series though for sure. Amazing guitars in every aspect, I love mine so much I don't even care that it's only 22 frets like I've heard a lot of people do.
Quote by gizmodious
(The only one thats out of my price range is the E Gen 18... damn you Herman Li!!!! lolz)

Lol, correct!
Quote by gizmodious
Its just soo light, the action is rediculous on these things. Currently looking at the S620EXQM... *drool*

These things have some serious shred potential.

I don't care what people on the forum say, I'm either gettin an SA260 if I want more of a blues guitar, or an S470DXQM if I want a jazzy shred machine with potential to sound like anything.

And yeah, they lack sustain, but that can be fixed with a compressor if you really want to.

In this case, just buy what feels best. In Aus, they charge exorbitantly, especially for the prestige.
Quote by TheQuailman

Unfortunately, yes.I own an SA, and the slim body reduces the sustain. You just can't get that fat and thick mahogany tone you find in LPs.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic

yeah it does. I Played one today at the guitar store, and the sustain and tone is all good for like 4-6 seconds then all of a sudden the note just dies sharply. Just comply stops.

Note I tried all 3 of the S ibanez prestiges they had. and they all had the same problem. I also loved the feel the neck and the body tho. So if your not a person who holds those notes forever then why not, the pick ups are really hot and crunch.

Jem was another level. Sick guitar. Just as easy to play as the S. But with AWSOME SUSTAIN. 2500

I also played a jackson sl 1 and i almost bought it right there. Gorgus guitar. Neck feels kinda different than my ibanez i dont know. I need to play it more. Deffinetly a little wider than my SZ. But i cant just carry 1700 on me every day now can i.
The best part about the S guitar that I've tried would be the action. It's the best on any guitar I've played. Very easy to play legato, it's just the thinness of everything that takes a bit to get used to.
I have SAS36FM, its a great great guitar, but watch out i think the S and SA guitars only got 22 frets.

also, the SA32EX looks like a cool one to get

I've tried the SV
Pretty sick
Plus it includes the 24 frets everyone b*tches about that the standard S doesn't have.

but I wasn't to "ooo'd" by the S or SV Prestige models.
I would just stick to a S520EX and change the pickups to some JB/59 or EVO's

I was only really "wow'd" by the JEM7V
ie. the reason I love EVO's now.

Although if you have the cash for a Prestige model
I'd say go it.
I'm just sayin' I'd go for an S520 because I'm cash strapped
i've never had problems with sustain with s320 but it does lack the warmth and fatness that mahogany has in les pauls.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab