Budget= $500-1000$

I play alot of different types of music but the main one is metal (please lets not genre war) ranging from August Burns Red to bands like Children of Bodom and Nevermore.

My current guitar is an epiphone les paul custom- http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=518350

I've had it for two years and its falling apart already, and yes I've taken good care of it. I'm absolutely tired of it, it comes out of tune after every song, nobs are falling off, screws to my strap holders come out all the time... its JUNK..

So I'm looking for the best guitar I can get with a 500-1000 dollar budget that will play to my hearts content for metal music. Brands that I've looked into are Jackson and Ibanez, Jackson only because Alexi Laiho from COB uses them alot. I sweepz alotz.... so something with a nice action to it would be great.

Thanks.
The guitar doesn't matter really. Its what you want and what you feelw hen you're playing live. If what you feel is a screeching scream from nowhere and you like the sound of single coils then go for a strat. You can swap pickups out for what you want. If you want a Jackson thats fine too. Play a lot and just pick the one you feel the most comfortable and don't worry about the specs. Worry about the playability and the comfort.
Schecter hellraiser
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Quote by Nate45s
Yea, I've played alot of Jacksons and I love their feel over all.

You want a trem or a fixed bridge?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Have a look at the stuff you are playing and check out their guitars the bands are playing.

if you're playing metal exclusively I would suggest looking at Jackson and LTD guitars. Alexi uses LTD and ESP from what I remember.

If you look at LTD, keep the models above the 400 series, you get better wood and hardware.

Play as many as you can, and check out secondhand, all my current guitars I have bought secondhand, just check them out before you buy.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
esp ltd ec-1000.. awesome guitar, the only thing is that its a little neck heavy.
Quote by jwax
Ibanez.

though they're nice im sick of everyone saying to buy an ibanez
Quote by Fzau
Wait.. you had sex thirty seconds ago and now you're in The Pit?
... you sir, are sick...

Quote by timeconsumer09
Quote by ThatGuy177
I can play bass.
That's not a useless talent.
It's just useless.

do you prefer thin or thick necks? if thick necks, then i say a schecter hellraiser (the fixed bridge and the trem version fit in your price range). it also depends on your amp though, cuz some pickups dont work well with solid states
EDIT: and +1 to looking for something secondhand
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
To the guy who asked if I wanted a tremolo or a fixed bridge, either or honestly.

I don't like very thick necks.

And I use a Crate 120Watt GLX212.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-RR3-Rhoads-Pro-Electric-Guitar?sku=512230
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=511668
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-KE3-Kelly-Electric-Guitar?sku=511669
Those if you're thinking about a trem equipped guitar, and all of these should be able to do at least rock as well as metal, and even some blues here and there (The DK-2)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMGT-Dinky-with-EMG-Pickups?sku=512241
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-SLSMG-Electric-Guitar?sku=512234
If you want a fixed bridge, and mainly want to play metal, one of these if probably the guitar for you. If you want a warmer sound with a bit more beef, go with the SLSMG, but if you want brighter scream and crunch, go with the Dinky.

Try as many of them as you can, see what body shapes interest you more, see what pickups you prefer, etc., and make your choice

Also, if you go to musicians friend and search Jackson, narrow the search to "guitars", you can look at your specific price range ($500-750, and $750-1000). There are many more viable options in the 500-750 range

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Nov 19, 2008,
Quote by Nate45s
To the guy who asked if I wanted a tremolo or a fixed bridge, either or honestly.

I don't like very thick necks.

And I use a Crate 120Watt GLX212.

i say maybe look for an alexi-600 used, you could find one cheap. you should also look into getting a better amp though, with that price range you could hold back on the guitar for a bit and get an amazing amp.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
i say maybe look for an alexi-600 used, you could find one cheap. you should also look into getting a better amp though, with that price range you could hold back on the guitar for a bit and get an amazing amp.

That would be hard to do with a current guitar that's literally falling apart, as stated in the first post But I do agree, especially if you're getting active EMGs, you might wanna look into a small tube combo and an OD/Distortion/EQ later on.
Quote by Nate45s
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMGT-Dinky-with-EMG-Pickups?sku=512241 I actually have given that guitar alooooot of though Shin, I like it alot and I've played it and loved it.

Then go for it, and save your remaining money for a tube amp later on

Stupid name.

Quote by Perturabo
Have a look at the stuff you are playing and check out their guitars the bands are playing.

if you're playing metal exclusively I would suggest looking at Jackson and LTD guitars. Alexi uses LTD and ESP from what I remember.

If you look at LTD, keep the models above the 400 series, you get better wood and hardware.

Play as many as you can, and check out secondhand, all my current guitars I have bought secondhand, just check them out before you buy.

Laiho uses his signature Alexi ESP Models, and also his Jackson Rhoads.

Lots of these suggestions would really work.

Best thing, especially for this, is to feel and try the guitars first. You might not feel comfortable with the Rhoads shape of the Jacksons and ESPs. And the necks are all different sizes, which makes a huge difference.

But definitely check out Jackson, ESP, Schecter, and Ibanez.

Secondhand is pretty good too, but once again, YOU NEED TO TRY THE GUITAR ITSELF.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Thanks for all the help guys, giving me a bigger insight into it all. As for the amp situation, I'm aiming to have the money for an amp soon after the guitar, but the guitar has to come first because the piece of crap that I have now is litterally falling to pieces..(DAMN YOU EPIPHONE)...Anyways.. Continue the postage =D
Your typical metal guitars for that price r a schecter c1, jackson dinky or ibanez rg1570.

I have the ibanez, very metal indeed, but its all a matter of personal opinion. I personally prefer playing metal on my epiphone SG equiped with EMG's these days.
RG's & Mesa's
im tired of people saying NOT to buy ibanez...
i dont want to sound like i am just glorifying it cuz i own it, but you should get an ibanez xiphos. the f*cking neck rules, you wont need new pups, and you can use the extra money to buy an ofr, have it installed and set up with 10s

there you go
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Sweeping? Metal?

I'd recommend something along the lines of a Warlock. They have the metal look and they feel great. But that's only if you're looking to save some money.
Jackson RR3, SLSMG, or DK2M.

/thread
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by COBHC728
Schecter hellraiser

+1 I want one BAD! They are great for metal with their EMG's.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
the only bc riches worth sh*t are through neck...
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Since you don't understand my initial post i'll just say go buy a used V or Explorer.