I had one of these a few weeks ago to narrow down my choices and now I'm pretty much at my final choices before hitting the shops to get the best deal for what I want!

Well I'm torn between two basses. A MIM P-bass and an MIM J-Bass but depending on funds I may be torn between a Highway 1 P or J, or maybe even a special/deluxe MIM! Well this is what its coming down to, I love the feel of the P it's a pretty large step up in neck size from the GSR but it feels right, not sure why but it's lovely! And the Jazz well.. its good but hasn't got the same feel as the P on the neck anyways. I prefer the control layout of the Jazz as its slightly nearer and easier to adjust quickly while playing but with the P I find it a bit more effort as its kinda further back (not as if it makes a HUGE difference just giving some more information!) In actual body shape I prefer the P but I also feel the Jazz is nice and one day I would love to own one of each maybe even the same model of each but this is now and I'm looking at a £500 MAX budget so both would be taking the piss a little methinks! In terms of standard playing/body/cosmetic (not including electronics as there more model specific) I prefer the P however the Jazz has those lovely versatile pickups. But there's just something about the tone of the P that I have a secret lust for! So really do I go for versatility or a nice punchy sound that works really well with aggressive playing? I'd probably be looking at the deluxe (active) Jazz or the Special P (the one with the gold pickguard - probably end up buying a plain black guard off a Fender parts website near instantly after purchase of the bass but cosmetics don't matter!)
At the moment my band is at a fusion of Indie, pop-punk and Paramore-esque rock so I'm a bit concerned at how versatile I would need my bass to be, thinking a PJ config would work pretty nicely but either the two single coils on the jazz or the split coil on the P could fit in pretty well. I would love a Highway one but I'm not sure if I can really warrant spending my full budget on a bass considering the current economic status n' all. And if it helps I'm playing through an Ashdown MAG300!

Sorry for all the writing and stuff, just kinda answers a few questions that could be asked! And I've tried out all the basses so no more trying other than making sure I'm not buying a lemon really!

So basically... Two questions!

1. Precision or Jazz? (based on the views given above - and my stupid bias to the P-bass!)
2. Standard MIM, Deluxe Jazz/Special P (both actives) or Highway 1? (preferably good quality and a pretty nice price too!)

And another quick question, with my MAG can I unscrew (saw some pretty large screws in the top) the head from the combo cabinet and hook it up to a 4ohm 410 or something so I wouldn't have to haul around an extra cab & the combo for the whole 300 watts? So basically I'd be turning it into a head and cab configuration rather than a combo + a cab, because I've got a friend selling a fairly decent cab for pretty cheap.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Last edited by Rywad at Nov 19, 2008,
sounds like you want a p-bass. I am personally inclined to go with whatever feels and plays right and (as long as the bass doesn't sound like ass) let the amp take care of the rest of the tone.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
would an aerodyne P bass be in your price range, P-Bass looks and a P/J pickup configuration
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by TANKER69
would an aerodyne P bass be in your price range, P-Bass looks and a P/J pickup configuration

verrry nice bass, tried one a few days ago, fell in love with it, itll for sure be my next expenditure
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
verrry nice bass, tried one a few days ago, fell in love with it, itll for sure be my next expenditure

It's a nice bass but I'm not a lover of the body, I considered it in my options but I prefer the P-special to it :P (It's also a tiny bit more expensive than a Highway 1 which suprised me!)
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Dude, please, unless you are big into modding, get a highway one. Save up a bit and get the american build quality...the mexican fenders are rubbish. You would be better off getting a Squier Vintage modified, and you would save money.

I bought a Fender Mexican Standard Jazz, and I LOVE jazz basses, and this instrument basiclaly made me not want to paly bass anymore. Terrible build quality, I think fender shoudl step up the highway one series and do away with the mexicans, or jsut rebrand them as squiers, they dont deserve the fender name at ALL.
Hmmm.. what about a Japanese Fender?

MIJFender.com

They're based in Edinburgh, so you don't have to deal with transport worries from Japan. Take a look there, if you're having a look around.

£425 for a MIJ P bass, that's what? £70/80 more than a MIM? Not bad price.
highway 1 P.

theres one on basschat.co.uk for 320 delivered. i'd snap that one up real quick.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by Dan_Q
highway 1 P.

theres one on basschat.co.uk for 320 delivered. i'd snap that one up real quick.

I saw that actually, was tempted by it but I'm not too sure about it.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

p bass special. a good bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
If you're stuck between jazz and P but leaning towards a P your best choice is probably a P special. For indie and pop punk either will work well.

If you get a standard MIM P or Jazz wait until they new ones start coming out. They have a new (much better looking) logo and a cool 3-Ply parchment pickguard.

If you go for an active MIM I would suggest the P. My friend has the Jazz and I have the P and I enjoy the sound and feel of mine much more.

If you go Highway One you're going to have a quality bass that will last you a good while. Just make sure you like which ever you get 100%. You definitely don't want to have a Highway One Jazz and wish you got the P instead.
Last edited by Miss G at Nov 20, 2008,
Personally I'd go for the Jazz but that's just preference. You say your band's Paramore-esque, and the guy from Paramore uses a Precision, so a P would make more sense.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Go for the Precision bass. It seems like you're already in love it now.
I'm actually going to go against everyone and say don't get a Pbass special. The whole tone associated with jazz pickups works the best when two jazz pickups are blended. When you blend a jazz with a Precision pickup, it doesn't work very well. And to me, the single jazz lacks oomph. This is all based on the settings I use on my Aerodyne.

If you can go American or Japanese, do it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
He uses both Precisions and Jazz basses.

Yep, he has been using the American Deluxe jazz. People poke fun at Paramore and their musicianship but apparently their bassist was in a funk band before Paramore.
Yeah you definitely want a Precision. I'd go for that special P, because it's got the J bridge coil, so you won't be stuck with that same Precision tone all the time (not that there's anything wrong with the P tone, it is a beauty).

Oh, and don't remove the gold pickguard, it's a thing of beauty!
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
I play a P-Bass through an Ashdown and I used to play in an indie band, it works great.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Another option that I'm really loving at the moment is a MM Sub, ever since I played one a while back I loved it and recently played another. It's almost the tone I'm looking for, it's got the 'punchy' sound from the P but is also pretty versatile, only the problem before was I kept finding it hard to track one down for a reasonable price. So I'm thinking having tried another Jazz today that I'd prefer to eliminate it from the running, and turn it into more a P bass or the MM Sub (I've got a fairly solid deal on one at around the same price as a MIM P so my heart and head are telling me to go for it!)
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Now that the sub is here get it. I love it, iprefer stingrays but for the price, build and quialtiy its a great instrument and there are always on and off ebay. I would choose it over the p and it is alot more versatile.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Exactly what I was thinking fatgoogle. And I'm pretty sure it's exactly what I want
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Ya i tryed one and then a stingray the only real thing that makes the stingray better is the active preamp and the fact it comes in 5 strings. But ya go get the Sub!!!!!
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Did you know they do 5 string Subs? I found some on a website when I was checking the serial no. of the Sub I found.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Quote by Deliriumbassist
He uses both Precisions and Jazz basses.

Never actually seen him use a Jazz but then I'm not usually watching the bassist
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
highway one, either of 'em. They have bad ass II's pre installed.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
highway one, either of 'em. They have bad ass II's pre installed.

I've given up with the P or J basses and am going to get a Musicman SUB!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

No i never noticed a 5 string. But i would still prefer the activ premap. But those subs are up there with stingrays in qualtiy and build.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Deliriumbassist
IIRC the Sub 5er has the same pickguard as the Stingray 4... which automatically makes it better than the Ray 5

Agreed, that Ray 5 pickguard really lets the whole bass down (I'm not shallow or anything ).
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
That is true it is of putting. Is there any musicman out there that comes pickguardless.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
That is true it is of putting. Is there any musicman out there that comes pickguardless.

take the pickguard of a 4. problem solved.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The Sub I've found has an active 2 band EQ so it's not a bad find, and for a similar price to an MIM P-bass it's not bad at all!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Here's a picture of the good ole SUB 5! Not sure how hard it would be to track one down though, my guess is fairly hard.

The 20th anniversary Stingray 5 comes pickguardless and I think the control cavity may be rear mounted, and comes with a flamed maple top.

Is this this the Stingray you were saying about?

Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Last edited by Rywad at Nov 21, 2008,