I'm getting a new amp, and right now I want to go with the fender twin reverb. I love the way it sounds clean, but obviously it can't do more than a light overdrive. I want to play just about any type of music with it, so I need to know how distortion pedals sound with it. If it doesn't handle them well, then I'm also considering the Mesa/Boogie Express, which in my opinion doesn't sound amazing clean or distorted, but would cover most stuff. If you've used either of these amps a good bit or have suggestions for others fill me in.
I had a Twin Reverb, it takes dirt pedals REALLY well, especially fuzz pedals. I'd reccomend a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET for Overdrive, if your looking for one to go with it.
well, what kind of distortion do you want with it? IF you want all modern metal preamp gain, I'm sure it'd be pretty easy get that sound with a decent pedal in front. If you want some authentic poweramp crunch, you will probably never get it. You can buy a lot of pedals that basically act as an additional preamp channel, but you'll always have to rely on the same poweramp sound comingout of the reverb. Obvious I know, and maybe not too helpful, but thought I'd throw that thought out there anyway. Keep in mind that you could spend $200 on a decent pedal, or put that towards the amp fund. Not that I know any amps off the top of my head that are as good as the reverb but much more versitile for only $200 more.
It works well with overdrive and fuzz, but what about with a DS-1 or Big Muff? Does it sound unnatural?
DS1 won't sound great, but it will sound alright.

Big Muff will sound LOVELY, especially if you crank the twin reverb.
Quote by ClementWave
DS1 won't sound great, but it will sound alright.

Big Muff will sound LOVELY, especially if you crank the twin reverb.

Did you try both?
Never tried a DS1 on a twin reverb, but i've tried it on my Hot Rod deluxe... it was meh, not great. But the big muff will sound incredible