Im debating between a peavey 5150/6505 combo.. or Jcm800 combo... i play early death/thrash (death/slayer/exc..) to modern metal (bodom/necrophagist/exc.)
Now my question is as im not able to get ahold of either which would hit the two genres the best? I have played a kerry king jcm800 and quite liked it, but thats ridiculously overpriced.
thanks
They could both do it I'd think but the 5150 having more gain would probably do death metal and modern metal better. The jcm with an eq and a boost would do slayer perfectly.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Jcm800, IMO
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
They'd both do the trick, but I'd take the JCM for the tone.

Plus if you're playing a gig, people will see Marshall, so you'd look more professional
Quote by wwfattitude1998

Plus if you're playing a gig, people will see Marshall, so you'd look more professional

haha..
i wish i could try em both ><
im diggin more towards the JCM tho... i figure if i dont like i can always sell it and get the 5150..\
now the combo.. does it pack the same punch as the head? cuz it looks alittle weak.
Quote by wwfattitude1998

Stereotype much?

I'd vote for the JCM too, just throw a good OD in front of it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
^plus one.

but wanna now how you can get a definate anwear.

TRY THE FRIEKEN AMPS OUT YOURSELF.

Unless your stranded on an Island, i think you can find some.
I'd have said the 5150 would be better for pure metal, but if you ever plan to play anything else the JCM is better for ya.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by THEKID546
^plus one.

but wanna now how you can get a definate anwear.

TRY THE FRIEKEN AMPS OUT YOURSELF.

Unless your stranded on an Island, i think you can find some.

ive already stated i cant.. no one here carries either. :/ i wouldn't have even bothered posting if i could try em.
plus i was just asking which would do metal better.
anyone else? the combo looks promising but also looks like it will lack.. maybe its just me :/
the combo will have more balls than it looks, dont worry. you might want to get a head/212 for the best balance (imo) though.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
so today i played the JSX and it had the liquid like solo tone ive been wanting.. only problem its not in the br00talz zone i wouldnt say. .if i OD'ed it would it work perfectly?
*cough* B-52 *cough*

Dude though seriously B-52 AT100 is a great amp trust me, you'll get BOSS tone for a great price...

and if not that just go for the peavey
My signature has doubled...
well i tried the 6505+ today,.. relized ill never be able to crank it and it sounded like ass at a low volume... the JSX was so much nicer and i got a decent sound at a low volume

EDIT.. ive heard the JSX was modeled after the XXX? do they sound similar?
Last edited by PixieDust13 at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by PixieDust13
does the XXX get fluid like tones like the JSX by chance?
Somewhat, but not quite. The XXX is harsher and a bit colder sounding. While the JSX is warmer and smoother sounding. It also has some more natural compression to it's tone. Especially on it's ultra channel. But the base foundation of tone is pretty much the same, with the JSX expanding on it.
The XXX ultra channel has mind boggling amounts of gain, that I actually find to be almost unusable. The crunch channel is where it's at with the XXX.
While the ultra channel on the JSX is borrowd from the XXX's crunch channel, with added gain and compression. (confused?) The JSX's crunch channel is literally a Peavey Classic 50 circuit with jacked up gain. (great channel)

I think you would be very happy with a JSX combo or head. As you said, they have great low volume tone and it only gets better as you turn it up.

The 6505 is a great amp, but takes time to bond with and isn't for everyone. These amps also sound best at high volume.

I've been dissapointed with a lot of JCM 800's. I think a few of them have Holy status tone, but a lot of them are weak and uninsipring for modern metal. OD pedals can help, but don't solve the dilemma. Aftermarket mods would be the only fix for me and an 800. Again just my opinion. I also like the KK800, but that's not a normal 800. The jacked up gain in the preamp and the KT88's make that amp killer.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Yea, for your rhythm tone on the JSX you wanna use crunch because the ultra, as previously stated, is too saturated for a clear rhythm sound.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by PixieDust13

thanks guys i tihnk imma go with the JSX

Why is Satch's signature gear so much better than other signature gear? I want just about all of it on the basis of performance alone but then I'd look like a poser D:

If you want the JSX for thrash-y stuff, I suggest sticking an OD in front of it. The JSX is lovely and smooth, which is great for lead but you'll probably want to try and add some more edge to the rhythm sound. Try an EQ.
yea i have an eq now.. and a bbe sonic stomp.. i figured id grab a maxon OD with it to tighten it up?
I found OD pedals to thin out the tone of my JSX. It's a very tight and articulate amp already. I just run an ISP Decimator in front of mine and a Sonic Stomp in the loop. I use the ultra channel for modern metal rhythm tones and play in the style of The Haunted, LoG, Gojira, etc.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
sorry to revive this thread.. but i heard a mesa boogie F-100 tonight and it sounded killer.. any thoughts?
There's a sic local band that used the JSX to record their album.
Here is the myspace
http://www.myspace.com/chaosisdivine
The tracks Avalon and Refuse the Sickness were both recorded with JSX and the other one might have been to.
Just thought you might like to hear it in action.
Good luck bro .
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by John Spartan
*cough* B-52 *cough*

Dude though seriously B-52 AT100 is a great amp trust me, you'll get BOSS tone for a great price...

and if not that just go for the peavey

Agreed. They're so cheap right now.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel