Page 1 of 2
Ok for christmas i want either a Fender Stratocaster Standard [$399.99]
or an Epiphone Les Paul Plain Top [$420ish]

i like playing classic rock but i also like the chili peppers and stuff like them
i know the les paul looks beautiful but i dont like the feel so much
and the strat is just a strat even though i love the feel
If you like the feel of a Strat more.. then go for that.
I would get an HSS so that way you have good versatility.
Quote by epiphoneconnal
what really the difference between a hss and standard other than hss has a humbucker

Well, the humbucker is the difference. Everything else is the same pretty much.
id def go with the strat....i dont like the feel of les pauls myself....and really what good is a guitar if it doesnt play very well? even if its not the most pretty guitars out there
Quote by epiphoneconnal
what really the difference between a hss and standard other than hss has a humbucker

that is the only difference.
Quote by RGshred88
id def go with the strat....i dont like the feel of les pauls myself....and really what good is a guitar if it doesnt play very well? even if its not the most pretty guitars out there

and les pauls feel great. idk what your talking about
strat all the way

fenders kick ass

and if you like the feel more than it shouldnt even be a question
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
Depends which one you like the feel more. I play on both a Les Paul-shaped guitar and also a Fender Stratocaster. I love the feel of the Stratocaster much more in my hands. My dream guitar is to have an Explorer shaped guitar (ideally a japanese Edwards or ESP), but my next guitar will probably be Strat or Superstrat shaped because I like the way body feels that much more.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Fenders give you a bell like sound. Gibson gives you that amazing crunch. Depends on your amp but to go halfway buy the Lespaul ultra
If you go with Strat, I'd definitely check out an HSS, it'll just give you more options for tone.

As far as LP vs. Strat... They're completely different guitars, you should really look into them more and try them out. LP's are generally warmer, Strats are much brighter, and if you don't know what you're doing in terms of tone, you can very easily end up with a very very harsh, thin tone.

If you are just looking at a Les Paul because they look nice, don't.

Try them, and use your ears.
Strat, nuff said

a HSS Strat will give you extra versatility
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
LPs FTW
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

its all about the SGs and the Teles!
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by epiphoneconnal

i like playing classic rock but i also like the chili peppers and stuff like them

go for something in between then... maybe a prs or something... tehre are loads more than 2 manufacturers and even those 2 manufacturers make more than 1 model each... try out more guitars
Thank you please.
It's odd that you're picking between those two instruments, especially in that price range. There's a big difference in sound between the two. I have a feeling that you're just limiting your choice to Les Paul or Stratocaster because you're being a bit of a brand snob. This should not be. Just try EVERY guitar in your price range.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I got a Les Paulis ESP Eclipse and a Mexi HSS strat.
The strat is far and away more comfortable and I dont baby it due to its rugged construction.
It has a nice chime to it as well that sounds good with my current style of playing.

Id say go with a strat, but I would REALLY say test them both, and other guitars and go from there.
i started out with a strat but quickly realised (in my opinion) the Les Paul looked and sounded much better.
les paul for the classic rock but a strat is versatile and correct me if im wrong but frusciante uses a strat
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by epiphoneconnal

I prefer the sound and feel of a Strat to that of a LP (don't get me wrong; LPs sound bomb, just not for me), but I don't think there are many guitars sexier than a LP with a white finish.

Solution to your dilemma:

Go to guitar store
Play Les Paul
Play Strat
Form a decision based on the latter
???
Profit
Get a Good Strat over a semi decent les paul. A real Les Piz is like 2000 so get a good 600 dollor strat.

But if you got the cash get the Les Piz, Sexy Guitar, and beef cake sound.
If you like the feel of strats, and play the chilis, get a strat

i think john fruiscante uses a strat, a tele, and somthing else
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
If you do decide to get a Strat, I'd strongly recommend getting one of those higher-end mexican models the ones that are like ~$600-$650 and come with better pick ups on them. Those are very good value. If I had to buy my guitar again, I wouldn't get the standard mexican strat and would get one of those better mexican strats.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
If you don't like the feel of a Les Paul, why is this even a question. Most people are just saying what they would get. Ass said above, a SSH strat would give youa bit more versatility and some of the humbucker goodness of a LP, but on a guitar you like the feel of.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Get the Strat, fender standard series are really good quality guitars, the sound would be perfect for both chilli peppers and classic rock
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Out of those two, and having tested both, i'd go for the strat.
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
Last edited by theo_siordia at Nov 21, 2008,
I THINK BOTH SOUNDS ARE IMPORTANT. it very useful tu have a guitar with both sounds if i were you i bought the fender Hss
Ruinas Circulares
Depending what your price range is, I'd get a Gibson Les Paul Studio or Standard (greatest guitars in the world)!
I had a situation exactly like this, I went with the les paul, I didnt like the feel at first but I adjusted and like it now, My friend has a fender so I tested that too, they both sound great.
I prefer the neck on the les paul (scale & frets too) and the body on the strat....thats why I got a Jackson with both humbucker and single coils (81 & SA)
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 21, 2008,
Honestly, this is a no-brainer. If you don't like the feel of the guitar (width of neck, size of body) go for the one that suits you.
has been like two posts of on topic discussion and rest of them are just "fender sucks" and "gibson sucks"

I would just go to guitar center or where ever and try em both out. as AlanHB said, try more then gibson and fender
Quote by brownsfan456
Fenders give you a bell like sound. Gibson gives you that amazing crunch. Depends on your amp but to go halfway buy the Lespaul ultra

are you dumb? fenders give amazing crunch
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Quote by Andy2k64
les paul for the classic rock but a strat is versatile and correct me if im wrong but frusciante uses a strat

wtf are you talking about.
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Honestly, I have a strat, and a LP...

Do I like one better?? It changes from day to day. Each one can do many things very well, but there are many differences too.

It all comes down to personal preference, or the easiest answer.

Buy both lol =p
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Strats & LPs are two very diferent guitars.

It's been my experience that Strats tend to be on the lighter side, so they could be considered more comfortable to play for extended periods. The play nicely enough, really bright sounding, very versetile. The HHTs have a bucker in the bridge, which adds even more versetility. Fender necks are typically narrow I've found, so if you've got sausage fingers like I do they can be tough to play.

LPs on the otherhand are heavy guitars typically, which adds to the sustain qualities of the guitar. Also aiding in the sustain dept is the sweptback headstock in contrast to the relatively straight head of the strat. Nothing sustains like a Les Paul. The necks on the LPs are usually pretty fat and have a D shape to them. Good for Dudes with chubby fingers.

Honestly, you should go for which ever guitar feels best in your hands. Bottom line.

Good luck.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Page 1 of 2