Page 1 of 3
The keyboardist in my band (we're prog rock) wants buy a keytar. I think they're really lame, but he insists he needs one in order to move around the stage and get everyone more excited. What do you guys think of keytars?

Also, you can check out some of our songs to get a better sense of our style and how the keytar would fit in if you go to knaves13.com

I really don't think it would fit, but maybe I'm wrong?

EDIT: I also hear that you can only play with one hand on the keytar. Is this true?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Dude, keytars are freakin' sweet.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
how i see it ppl who play keytars r keybroad players that want to feel like a guitarist but they cant play guitar at all
Quote by hell_monkey

We're not crazy shred. We're like Jazz Fusion mixed with Led Zeppellin mixed with Tool and Pink Floyd.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
I think keytars are so cheesy beyond cheese which in turn makes them sick.You rarely see a band with a member on the keytar these days.It would be a good novalty kinda thing for the band and get the audience more interested IMO.
Quote by Daryl_Summers
I think keytars are so cheesy beyond cheese which in turn makes them sick.You rarely see a band with a member on the keytar these days.It would be a good novalty kinda thing for the band and get the audience more interested IMO.

I REALLY don't want to be a novelty act. I'm the one who's the most against the keytar because I'm kinda an artsy fartsy type. I compose classical music and stuff so I care about looking classy, not stupid and cheesey.
I saw the vids...

...get me a keytar NOW!
Quote by dudius

afterward i thought about it and was like "wow, i just jerked off to a chubby girl sucking off a horse. i'm disgusting".

then i watched that segment again
If I see a "keytarist" in a band, it'lll make me want to stay for a show, actually. Keytars are pretty cool IMO.
Quote by 'Leviathan'

Not lame!

That's actually pretty lame and cheesy in my opinion.
Quote by StrokeMidnight
That's actually pretty lame and cheesy in my opinion.

It's Jordan Rudess, such words have no effect on him.
Quote by Mudmen190
Dammit this thread needs a poll!

How do I add one?

Sadly, even after being with this forum for like 3 years I still don't know how to add a poll.
I can understand that your keyboardist wants to move around on stage, it must suck for him/her to see you guys jumping around having fun when he has to stand behind his keyboard.
Quote by synopsize

Hmm...badass?

that guy looks like he's never gotten laid in his life.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
that guy looks like he's never gotten laid in his life.

So true.

i say get one
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
Keytars are badass. Get one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm

*Has smoking hot girlfriend
*Has awesome band

Guitarists are just a little haughty now that they aren't the only one with a cool looking thing strapped around their necks.
I don't even shred
Quote by 'Leviathan'

Not lame!

Just about to show a pic pretty close to that actually.

When I saw DT last summer the keyboard solo wouldn't have been half as epic (I rarely use this term, it truly was epic) if Rudess wouldn't have whipped out the keytar.
Do it, try it out for a show or two, then decide.
I say go for it.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
I think your keyboard-ist should go for it... it's something different and it's also liberating for him. If he doesn't like it then he can go back to a traditional keyboard, but if he likes it why ruin the fun?

EDIT: You guys are also Prog Rock... that just screams keytar to me
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Last edited by Hesh_09 at Nov 19, 2008,
Here's one thing to consider. The keyboardist from the band can't play any leads.
Last edited by StrokeMidnight at Nov 20, 2008,
Page 1 of 3