Alright guys, I have no pedals, and I will be asking for many for Christmas. Wondering what kinds I should get for what I want to play.

First, my stuff now:

Guitar: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS (with DiMarzio Fred humbucker)
Amp: Line 6 Spider Valve 112 40W

I play lots of blues, jazz, classic rock, progressive rock, etc. Some of my biggest influences are Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Brian Eno, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, King Crimson, The Beatles, The Band, etc. So I'd like to be able to play a bit of a wide variety of sounds that is somewhere in this kind of mess.

As for a budget, I just wouldn't like to spend $150+ on a every pedal, but I guess I could on a couple if they're outstanding and far superior. Definitely not endless cash flow, but definitely not broke. And if I can't afford a couple now, I could always wait and save a bit, so... yeah.

So, what pedals of these types would complement my playing?

Overdrive
Distortion
Wah
Compression
Delay
Sustain
Reverb

Just threw those out there. If you think that I need or should have any other types of pedals, go ahead and toss them out there. Also, if you don't think that I would need one of those listed, say that too.

Also, I guess that I'll need a pedalboard. Any suggestions there?

Thanks a whole lot, everybody!
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS LT w/ DiMarzio Fred Humbucker

Gibson J45
you don't really need a pedalboard unless you're travelling with it.

you don't really need pedals if you're amp has built in fx.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
pedalboard=gator
delay=line 6 dl4, looking to get one myself, so many good sounds on there, and a good looper too, more bang for buck than boss
wah=try and get an old crybaby, they've got a good rep, but tbh i dnt know much about top end wahs, never really used em myself
compression/sustainer=ive heard good things about the boss one

also look into getting a fuzz one, fz-2 if you can find one, has some nice vintagey tones on there, and also some very modern ones if you ever wanna experiment that way
mxr flangers are also very nice, get you a great warm jet plane whirl and a water splash if needed

just promise to stay away from behringer. please.
Rickenbacker 620
ltd mh-1000
Fender jaguar

tu-2>>FZ-2>MXR Flanger>Ph-8>Line 6 FM-4>DD-6

Engl savage Head.
black start artisan 4x12
yo, get morley wah, they don't have push switches so you can use them like accents, and their tone is cutting and WICKED... OH!!! and if you're going pedal happy, get a Digitech WHAMMY pedal, it's the coolest effect EVER.
Compression and sustain are essentially the same thing and for that I can reccomend the MXR Dyna Comp. get the job done really well for about 70 bucks.
Sig What?
Always start with a Wah when you get into pedals is my philosophy. Although its not complicated it does take some [chord]ination (pun intended) to get a groove going with it. The standard Dunlop Crybaby wah should do you just fine or the 95Q which has a knob to allow you to adjust the sweep (about $20 more). I'm also going to recommend a mxr phase 90, present in a lot of 1970's music. See what kind of sounds you can get from those two and take it from there.
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2007 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Overdrive: I would say a tubescreamer, a maxon od-808 would fit if you want, also for a more transparent one than i've heard people rave about fulltone ocd's.
Distortion: Use your amp distortion, and if you don't like that than get a new amp. I'm not sure on the spider valve, its okay, i doubt it can get a really good tube sound though.
Wah: If you're looking to go cheaper, get a classic crybaby and then mod it, their crap on their own, but if you mod it than it can be awesome. Also for low gain check out Vox wahs.
Compression: I've heard good things on the MXR compressor (whatever it's called i forgot) i didn't really like the boss compressor i tried.
Delay: Analog or digital is the first question. Digital than boss dd-7 all the way, probably the best pedal they make. Analog you can go really really expensive and nice or you can go good but cheaper. The MXR carbon copy i've heard is good, also the ehx memory man looked intensely packed, but is all really expensive.
Sustain: This really is basically compression, most compression pedals use this as part of them, but the best trick is vibrato my friend.
Reverb: Again i think you should use the spider valve's (if it does, i think it does) but if you aren't satisfied with it or if it just plain doesn't have it, than just get a ehx holy grail, great pedal.

Really it comes down to if you like your amp or not. I tried it, it was pretty decent, beat the crap out of the standard spider, but i've heard mixed reviews otherwise from other people. If you really like it and are satisfied than get some pedals, if you want better tone in general than don't mess with pedals, get a new amp its WAY worth it.

also i'm adding one because its almost a necessity for a guitarist.
Equalizer (EQ): The mxr 10 band eq is probably the most important and the first pedal you should get out of all the categories you named.

hope that helps
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by xwearesinking
you don't really need a pedalboard unless you're travelling with it.

you don't really need pedals if you're amp has built in fx.

It just has chorus, phase, trem, and a couple echoes.

And without a pedalboard would I have a problem connecting them all to power, or can I sort that out another way?

Gibson J45
ive got a line 6 spider too,

ive tried the DIGITECH whammy and it failed, but go for a crybaby wah, everything else should be built in
I don't know about the Valve ones, but the SS Spider series doesn't like pedals at all...

I recommend trying out a pedal or two before you spend all that money only to find out that your amp doesnt sound good with pedals.
Quote by Deathcabforpat
Always start with a Wah when you get into pedals is my philosophy. Although its not complicated it does take some [chord]ination (pun intended) to get a groove going with it. The standard Dunlop Crybaby wah should do you just fine or the 95Q which has a knob to allow you to adjust the sweep (about $20 more). I'm also going to recommend a mxr phase 90, present in a lot of 1970's music. See what kind of sounds you can get from those two and take it from there.

+1 on the phase 90 get a script if you can find one for cheap.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Overdrive and Distortion - BOSS OD1 and DS1
Wah - Either the classic Crybaby or Vox, whichever one you choose....look for one with a fasel inductor
Compression/Sustain - BOSS CS-3
Delay - BOSS DD7 or Line 6 DL4 delay
Reverb - BOSS RV5

You may also wanna look into a BOSS Blues Driver since you noted you play blues and jazz.

To save you money and take up less space and such....I suggest a BOSS ME-50, costs around 400ish and it has all these effects and tons more, you can store and modify tones
Quote by SilverchairFan
Wah - Either the classic Crybaby or Vox, whichever one you choose....look for one with a fasel inductor
Reverb - BOSS RV5

You may also wanna look into a BOSS Blues Driver since you noted you play blues and jazz.

To save you money and take up less space and such....I suggest a BOSS ME-50, costs around 400ish and it has all these effects and tons more, you can store and modify tones

Boss, much?
delay:boss dd6(the new 7s really dont have much dif from 6s so sve some cash and go 6)
wah:crybaby, they're all great but i'd stay away from the zach wilde becausethe ZWwah is like soviet russia,'wah plays you'
fuzz, OD, dist, etc.: boss blues driver, ibanez ts9(praise to the ts9)
fun pedals if your into crazy stuff:digitech whammy(or boss pitch shiffter with exp pedal, you usually get more fun stuffs with boss pedals) digitech xtf flanger,mxr script phaser, i cant name any in particular but ring modulaters are fun stuff
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
Digitech is good if you have a power adapter for them, Otherwise I don't think that they work with the battery.
Their delay is really good, I had one once.. but the battery thing was an issue for me, so I sold it back to the store.
You should probably try out some chorus, the EHX Small Clone is pretty good.
As for distortion I like the Boss DS-1. and I don't know much about overdrives or the other pedals you want
dnt forget a tuner either, planet waves do a decent one
Rickenbacker 620
ltd mh-1000
Fender jaguar

tu-2>>FZ-2>MXR Flanger>Ph-8>Line 6 FM-4>DD-6

Engl savage Head.
black start artisan 4x12
Not sayin' you need these, but if you get these pedals, I recommend:

Phaser: Electro Harmonix Small Stone
OD: Fulltone OCD
'verb: Electro Harmonix Holy Grail +
Delay: MXR Carbon Copy
look at hardwire for some of that stuff such as reverb, and OD, after you get a Hardwire CM-2, you decide if you need any more overdrive and skip the DS.

Delay id have to say the same go the Digithech hardwire way, ive heard alot of people say how much theyve realized BOSS are tone suckers after switching to Hardwire.
Quote by SilverchairFan
best pedals goin

facepalm
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Thanks a whole whole lot everybody!

I'm going to go try these out soon.

Any other suggestions?

Gibson J45
Probably will go try these out in a couple hours. Any last minute suggestions?

Gibson J45
Quote by SilverchairFan
Reverb - BOSS RV5

worst pedal i have ever owned
my local guitar shop felt bad that they ever allowed someone there to sell it to me.
they gave me store credit which i put towards a boss dd3.

the CS-3 is a waste of $150
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Quote by roarinflames
worst pedal i have ever owned
my local guitar shop felt bad that they ever allowed someone there to sell it to me.
they gave me store credit which i put towards a boss dd3.

the CS-3 is a waste of $150

+1

Based on the bands you listed, the main things you'll probably want are overdrive, chorus, delay, and reverb. I'd say ignore most of these lists people are giving you, and just try out a whole bunch of crap, and see what strikes your fancy. Also, be sure and try stuff outside of just Boss, MXR/Dunlop, Ibanez, and Digitech.
Tuner
EQ
Maybe a Wah or delay
Noise supressor (if necessary)
I dont really see the need for much else....
If i were you I'd start by upgrading from your line6 amp.....but thats just me.

Oh, and if you want a pedal board you could build one that fits your stuff perfectly for about $20
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Nov 20, 2008,