I just got my first tube amp and I can't wait to use it. I ordered a cab from Avatar, and I'm still waiting on that, so in the mean time I'm stuck with my solid state. But I have been reading about proper tube amp care, and the fact that my head doesn't have a standby switch is starting to worry me, considering everything I've read about tube amps always says "make sure you use standby to warm up your amp" as the #1 rule. Why doesn't my amp, the peavey classic 30, have a standby switch? And is this going to cut down on the life of the tubes? I've read some stuff about "rectifier tubes" not needing a standby switch, but this is always mentioned in passing and without any real detail.
Thanks
Steve
just leave the volume on zero let it warm up, while you tune up. and then raise the volume.

lower the volume before turning it off to get into the habit of having the volume on zero for the next time.

if you take a break during a set, you might want to turn the amp off, depending on how long the break is.

it's better wt a standby, but dont worry about it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You shouldn't really have a problem. Just treat your master volume like a standby switch.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Stand-bys are not required to protect your valve amp, they're just a handy mute function. For some reason people seem to think that it protects against cathode stripping. Cathode stripping only occurs in transmitting valves that are run over 1,000Vdc. Valves in guitar amps are receiving valves and are run at 700Vdc or less and cathode stripping does not occur.
Your amp will be fine.
yeah, standby switches are not really that necessary, shocking cold tubes with high voltage and cathode stripping CAN technically happen, but I've never really heard of it happening. If you're amp is tube rectified, there really is no point at all as the high voltage will not even hit the plates until the rectifier tube is sufficiently heated for operation and thus the rest will be as well.