hello all of the vast minds of UG,
I currently have a windows XP computer that stopped reading disks from both the CD drive and the DVD drive. Now this is a problem.
Before that I did a disk cleanup and deleted some files. Although I wasn't really paying too much attention to the files I was deleting.
1. Is there anyway I deleted files to boot up the CD's
2. How should I go abouts fixing this problem
thanks
You might have deleted the drivers. Do some research and download them again.
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
O CANADA!
check your BIOS settings, something might have triggered the drivers to disable. I know thats happened to me a few times
My computer does system restore checkpoints, would that do anything to help if i restored to an earlier date. And if anyone knows what happens when you do that?
system restore is a great tool. it keeps ur files u saved/overwritten but uninstalls programs. i doubt doing a system clean up did this. is ur HD sata? if so ur IDE controller might be busted.

but system restore can honestly not hurt. u can even revert back before u restored if it didnt work.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Right click any shorcut to "My Computer" and click 'Manage'. In the new window, click 'Device Manager', in the left hand list. Expand the tree for 'DVD/CD-ROM drives' and tell me what's listed and what the icon looks like - or just take a screenshot.
Quote by acersucks
Right click any shorcut to "My Computer" and click 'Manage'. In the new window, click 'Device Manager', in the left hand list. Expand the tree for 'DVD/CD-ROM drives' and tell me what's listed and what the icon looks like - or just take a screenshot.

I think you're on to something.
There are Little yellow circles with ! in them, like somethings wrong
Try that and guide Windows to search online for the driver. If this doesn't work, tell me what the model/number is in the list and I'll try to find a firmware update for you.

Oh and try this:
put in any cd into your drive and open Command Prompt, (WIN+R), type 'cmd', then hit 'Enter'
Now depending on what you're drive letter for your optical drive is, type the following:
(in my case, my dvd-drive is E:, so: )
C:\> cd /d E:\
E:\> dir

And tell me if it can read the contents of the CD/DVD, or what message you get.
Last edited by acersucks at Nov 19, 2008,