We must come up with a debatable thesis statement about immigration to the US from 1865-1900 and I'm having trouble. I have to teach my class for 15 minutes. Any help is appreciated. btw, it must be about the immigrants' time in the US, not the time leading up to their departure.

I tried "Immigrants lived a life of hardship when they arrived in the US" but that's not exactly debatable; it's true
The nativist sentiment expressed against immigrant groups such as Irish, Chinese, Catholics, and others from 1865-1900 established a pattern of retribution and hostility that is inherent to other waves of immigrants such as Latinos today.
thats a tough time period, late 1700's would have been easier but oh well. How bout, something relating to the Anti-Chinese movements of the gold rush era? (1870 ish)
haha no way we're on the same chapter man!

here's what i'd do:

Ethnic clustering contributed to native hostility toward immigrants more so than any other factor.

this could work, since the argument has antitheses, like immigrant poverty (esp. the Irish) and the relative prosperity and longevity of German settlements, but you have a considerably stronger argument.
Quote by El Gigante
thats a tough time period, late 1700's would have been easier but oh well. How bout, something relating to the Anti-Chinese movements of the gold rush era? (1870 ish)

I can't zero in one one ethnicity.
Quote by H(i)SS
haha no way we're on the same chapter man!

here's what i'd do:

Ethnic clustering contributed to native hostility toward immigrants more so than any other factor.

this could work, since the argument has antitheses, like immigrant poverty (esp. the Irish) and the relative prosperity and longevity of German settlements, but you have a considerably stronger argument.

I don't think I would be able to teach a class for 15 minutes on that thesis. I also have to have 3 supporting facts with subtopics under them.

I appreciate your input and I feel like a dick by rejecting somebody's free help but I don't know if that would work. Feel free to convince me otherwise.