Hey all,

I had a thread completely dedicated to my quest for a new amp....

According to my price range we decided on the Vox Valvetronix 50W.

One problem... I completely forgot about searching for a used amp! So I look on Craigslist today and found several used tube amps for good prices....

Got in contact with one guy. He has a Fender Cyber Twin 100W.... he says its both tube and solid state. I think he wants to sell it for 300 bucks. Heres what he said:

it is both tube and solid state it has less then 10 hours on it in near mint condition have not changed the tubes no need to yet 100 watts i just cant play anymore so just want to sell it

So, are the Fender Cyber Twins any good? I know the old Fender Twins are great amps but this one has the word cyber in it....

Any info on it would be helpful. Ill keep an update on what I get back from the other amps I emailed different guys about.... Im especially stoked about hearing back from a guy selling a Vox AC30 for 500 bucks

EDIT:

Got another email from a different guy. Heres what he tells me about his amp:

1964 Fender Super Reverb amp, 4X10" Fender speakers in a combo amp package with 40 watts. All tubes including 6L6 and 12AX7's. Reverb and tremelo with controls on front panel. 2 channel input with total of 4 inputs, Brite switches for each channel. Tilt-back side legs. Footswitch for reverb and tremelo effects (on/off). Black tolex with silver grille- cloth.

Hes asking 500 bucks for it.
Last edited by aaronob at Nov 19, 2008,
I would ask about the condition of that Super Reverb, if you can get an all tube amp instead of a hybrid at the same price, go for it.

The AC30 would be tits though...

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by edbert
I would ask about the condition of that Super Reverb, if you can get an all tube amp instead of a hybrid at the same price, go for it.

The AC30 would be though...

Well, heres a photo.... kinda hard to see the condition though. And I think emailing him and asking him if its in good condition wont really tell me anything.... Hes selling it for his stepdad. He said he played through it and sounds fine though but he had to ask his stepdad about it. Not sure if the seller plays guitar though.

Quote by pak1351
Damn, decision time. Lucky you

Could ya help me out? Lol.
If we're thinking about the same amp, which we may not be, it sucks. Hard. They made us play through them at camp for performances, and everyone complained of the tone. It was harsh, grainy, thin... but that was just the distortion. I don't know how the cleans are.

Edit: Nevermind, after seeing the pic, I don't think we are.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
If we're thinking about the same amp, which we may not be, it sucks. Hard. They made us play through them at camp for performances, and everyone complained of the tone. It was harsh, grainy, thin... but that was just the distortion. I don't know how the cleans are.

Edit: Nevermind, after seeing the pic, I don't think we are.

Well, its a tube amp. Arent tube amps supposed to have great sound?

Also, which one are you talking about? The Cyber or the Super Reverb?

This is good info.... if it is the same amp youre thinking of then I should reconsider.
So I went and looked up the amp, and it was in fact the Cyber Twin. But it looks different from the pic you posted.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=480867X
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by aaronob
Well, heres a photo.... kinda hard to see the condition though. And I think emailing him and asking him if its in good condition wont really tell me anything.... Hes selling it for his stepdad. He said he played through it and sounds fine though but he had to ask his stepdad about it. Not sure if the seller plays guitar though.

Well if it works fine the worst that you would have to do is possibly replacing the tubes. It's too bad you can't check it out/play it before you buy, but it seems like a good buy to me nonetheless. I'd wait to see if any others pop up first though.
Quote by Sonicxlover
So I went and looked up the amp, and it was in fact the Cyber Twin. But it looks different from the pic you posted.

the one he posted was the super reverb
I really think that you need to be deciding between the AC-30 and the Super Reverb. Personally, I'd personally much rather have the '64 Fender, but I'd want to run it through it's paces before paying for it. If it's running good, it's probably going to be your best bet in the long run. Older tube amps are built like tanks, and usually wired point-to-point. This makes them much more serviceable if something does go wrong. You're usually looking at replacing one or two small components instead of whole boards. This is all assuming that the Vox AC-30 you're looking at is one of the more recent PCB models (at that price, I'd think so). An older amp like the Fender will also probably hold it's value better if you take care of it. It's been 44 years since the thing was made, and the resale value has only gone up, whereas newer amps decline in value quickly, and Vox is just going to keep cranking out more new AC-30s.
Quote by Stickymongoose
I really think that you need to be deciding between the AC-30 and the Super Reverb. Personally, I'd personally much rather have the '64 Fender, but I'd want to run it through it's paces before paying for it. If it's running good, it's probably going to be your best bet in the long run. Older tube amps are built like tanks, and usually wired point-to-point. This makes them much more serviceable if something does go wrong. You're usually looking at replacing one or two small components instead of whole boards. This is all assuming that the Vox AC-30 you're looking at is one of the more recent PCB s (at that price, I'd think so). An older amp like the Fender will also probably hold it's value better if you take care of it. It's been 44 years since the thing was made, and the resale value has only gone up, whereas newer amps decline in value quickly, and Vox is just going to keep ing out more new AC-30s.

Ok, so is the '64 Fender amp is 44 years old? Or is it a reissue possibly?

Quote by edbert
Well if it works fine the worst that you would have to do is possibly replacing the tubes. It's too bad you can't check it out/play it before you buy, but it seems like a good buy to me nonetheless. I'd wait to see if any others pop up first though.

No... I can go try it out. Ill drive to the guys house and try it of course before I were to spend hundreds.

But anyways, I asked him about the tubes and he said they were replaced in the last year or two.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Hm.... so the Cyber Twin is the bad one after all. Yeah, its not the one posted in the photo though. That one in the photo is the Super Reverb.

But what i dont understand is why the Cyber Twin is so bad.... arent Fender Twin amps supposed to be great amps? I just thought the Cyber twin was a regular Fender Twin except it has digital readings and stuff.
Last edited by aaronob at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by aaronob
Well, its a tube amp. Arent tube amps supposed to have great sound?

Why do people associate tube with good?

There are plenty of crappy and mediocre sounding tube amps.

The cyber twin is ok, I played one back when they were first released, a lot of fiddling to do though on those things.
Quote by al112987
Why do people associate tube with good?

There are plenty of crappy and mediocre sounding tube amps.

The cyber twin is ok, I played one back when they were first released, a lot of fiddling to do though on those things.

I dont know, I think because generally they are better than solid state.

Ok, on the 1964 Super Reverb... I found out its not a reissue... its an original. if that changes things. Do the speakers wear out or go bad and need to be replaced? I already know the tubes do.
Well, what kind of music do you play?
As said above, I'd say it's between the super reverb and ac30.
Speakers will probably be fine, in the reverb, and it's a steal at that price, especially if it's really original. It might need a little maintenance though
Might need some maintenance down the road, but like I said, it'll probably last you even longer than a new reissue model would. And the Cyber Twin isn't necessarily a bad amp. Steve Winwood has been using those live I think. I could be thinking of a different model, but I'm pretty sure that's right. But they have almost nothing in common with the old Twins. It's a solid state modeling amp, a good one at that, but the only real similarity with the old Fender Twins and Twin Reverbs is the name.
Quote by aaronob

Ok, on the 1964 Super Reverb... I found out its not a reissue... its an original. if that changes things. Do the speakers wear out or go bad and need to be replaced? I already know the tubes do.

No, the speakers should be fine. Seriously, buy that amp now. It's an insanely good price.
Quote by pak1351
Well, what kind of music do you play?
As said above, I'd say it's between the super reverb and ac30.
Speakers will probably be fine, in the reverb, and it's a steal at that price, especially if it's really original. It might need a little maintenance though

I play mainly classic rock. I dont play any metal though or hard screamo stuff. I want an amp that is versatile and has a good all-around sound; something that I can develope my own style/sound with.

Ok, so Im going to offer the guy with the Super Reverb a lower price. I am low on funds and if he doesnt come down I dont think Id be able to afford it. So lets say it comes down to new Vox Valvetronix and Fender Cyber Twin..... Cyber Twin would be the better amp, right? As long as its in great condition and all....
Yeah, the Cyber Twin is probably a much better modeling amp than the Vox, but low to mid gain classic rock tones aren't really where modeling amps shine. I still think you're much better off with an all tube amp like that old Fender. If you're really tight on money, don't discount some of the lower wattage tube amps. Those things can get surprisingly loud, and unlike modeling amps, turning them all the way to 10 is actually a good thing.
That super reverb doesn't look like a 1964.

I don't really know that much about Fenders but I'm pretty sure that 1964s were still blackface panels (I know 1965s were for sure) and that looks like a silverface and if its being sold for $500, its more likely a 70s-80s (maybe late 60s? Imgooley might be able to say more on that one) model.

The '65 blackface SR is a pretty famous amp and a vintage one in mint condition will cost at least $1500 if not $2000+.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 21, 2008,
Quote by al112987
That super reverb doesn't look like a 1964.

I don't really know that much about Fenders but I'm pretty sure that 1964s were still blackface panels (I know 1965s were for sure) and that looks like a silverface and if its being sold for $500, its more likely a 70s-80s (maybe late 60s? Imgooley might be able to say more on that one) .

The '65 blackface SR is a pretty famous amp and a vintage one in mint condition will cost at least $1500 if not $2000+.

Hey, man! Good eye! Yeah.... Id say thats definently silver face.....

So I searched and looked for what it could be. Its definently not older than the late 70s because after the late 70s they were 70 watts, not 40 watts. I also found a little database and the silver face Super reverb was made in 1968. So I think its 1968. Found another article too that said silver faces are worse than black faces.....

Ok, I have another option: a Fender Hot Rod Deville. The guy claims it was made in the US. How are those ones?

Quote by pak1351
Good luck to you man. I hope you can get that reverb

Thanks. Me too.
Even a silverface Super Reverb is probably going to be better than anything Fender makes now in that pricerange. Alot of the difference between early SF and BF Fenders is just hype. And considering that a BF Super Reverb would probably cost you at least 3x more mainly just because of the color of the front panel, I myself would rather buy a silverface Fender.
Quote by Stickymongoose
Even a silverface Super Reverb is probably going to be better than anything Fender makes now in that pricerange. Alot of the difference between early SF and BF Fenders is just hype. And considering that a BF Super Reverb would probably cost you at least 3x more mainly just because of the color of the front panel, I myself would rather buy a silverface Fender.

They have different circuits though, dont they? And the 1965 Super Reverb is considered to be the best of the Super reverbs, and its a black face.

UPDATE: Called the guy who was selling the Vox AC30..... its already been sold! Darn. So that just leaves me with the Hot Rod Deville and the Super Reverb (which I now believe is 1968)
Quote by Stickymongoose

Except that they changed the circuit and silverface amps sound different from their blackface and tweed counterparts? It's not just because of the front panel that black face amps cost so much more.

http://blueguitar.org/new/schem/fender/modnotes/mga-bf_vs_sf.pdf
^Thats a good article. So if i get this silver face and lets say I know about electronics, I could easily change the circuit board and make it more like a black face circuitry-wise?
Probably, yeah. But there's nothing wrong with a silverface.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by aaronob

If that pic is the SR, then it isn't a 1964. A 64 would be a blackface, not a silverface.
Hey all,

Just a little update.... havent seen the old Super Reverb yet. My dad wont take me out there. Im still working on him.

However, I found a Fender Concert reverb here in town..... the tubes have been changed recently and the guy is asking $390....

Towering tube tone with genuine valve reverb and tremolo.
Fifty watts of pure, glowing, purring 100% tube power delivers unbelievable richness, presence, sustain, and musical distortion. Blackface-style normal channel produces ringing, warm clean tones while the thermonuclear drive channel proves that an amp by itself can be all the tonal enhancement you need. Add 4 - ten-inch Eminence speakers and all-tube reverb and tremolo for a full range combo that'll leave you awestruck with your own fabulous tone. 1/4-power switch for low-volume in', effects loop, and included 4-button footswitch.

Fender Concert Reverb 50-Watt All-Tube Amp with 4x10" Eminence Speakers Features:

50W all tube
Four - ten-inch speakers
Tube reverb and tremolo
Normal and drive channels, footswitchable
1/4-power switch
Effects loop
You COULD live without it. But do you WANT to live without it? Do what you want. Your ears will love you for it.

What do you all know/think about this one? Any good?