Page 1 of 2
for recording.

tell me pro's and cons, and why you think which is better!

(btw for recording vocals,bass,guitar,and drums.)
Mac may have garage band, but there is one key design flaw.

THERES NO RIGHT CLICK!!!!
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
macs for recording and graphic design, pc for everything else.

now please, go away.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Mockstairwell

Lol, I hate that too.
Quote by evortre
Lol, I hate that too.

Alt+Shift+Cmd+F4+Up arrow+click

thats how you do it i think
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by Mockstairwell
Alt+Shift+Cmd+F4+Up arrow+click

thats how you do it i think

Acctually I believe you do alt+click lol
Quote by Mecler
Or buy a two button mouse?
That's not very hard.

I don't think Mac makes two button mouses.
Quote by evortre
I don't think Mac makes two button mouses.

Then use any old mouse, it doesn't have to be from apple
Quote by TakeDownJBrown
Then use any old mouse, it doesn't have to be from apple

If your using an updated Mac, it uses a USB ended mouse. Which I think only come in Mac
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
2008 Ibanez AEG20E A/E Cutaway
2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro
Amps:
Epiphone Valve Jr. Halfstack BitMo Trio Modded
60W All Tube Egnater Renegade Head and Cab.
Wow, none of you are apparently Mac users. The mouse that the iMac comes with has a right click! It looks like one big button but it's really two. You just have to set it up in the preferences menu. On the macbook you have to ctrl+click.

Anyway, I would go with a mac. They are more expensive, but also run more efficiently on the same amount of ram. I use my 24'' iMac for recording through Apple's Logic pro and it has a very nice, clear sound, even with my current sub par interface. It's also nice because you don't have to worry at all about setting up drivers.

I have had windows all my life up intil 3 or so years ago, and I can't say that I'll ever own one again.

The best thing you can do is go to an apple store and talk to the people there, they're usually decently educated, and try one out. Not everyone likes the different operating system, so just see how you feel about it.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Last edited by think11270 at Nov 19, 2008,
Quote by think11270
Wow, none of you are apparently Mac users. The mouse that the iMac comes with has a right click. It looks like one big button but it's really two. You just have to set it up in the preferences menu.

Anyway, I would go with a mac. They are more expensive, but also run more efficiently on the same amount of ram. I use my 24'' iMac for recording through Apple's Logic pro and it has a very nice, clear sound, even with my current sub par interface. It's also nice because you don't have to worry at all about setting up drivers.

I have had windows all my life up intil 3 or so years ago, and I can't say that I'll ever own a windows machine again.
'

Thank you for giving me a good answer!

How much did yours cost in all?

interface and all? and may i get a sample of some recordings?
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
You're welcome!
All of my recordings are done on my 3 year old macbook
and a cheapy presonus inspire interface (200$, about to upgrade) with an AKG condenser mic. (180$)
http://www.myspace.com/ryanspencermusic
Listen to the track titled "family and friends'

but I just got a brand new iMac which I haven't done any full songs yet,
but so far with a few tests I've done it sounds much better than the old macbook.
just look around in the store section of apple.com for prices.

Quote by evortre
If your using an updated Mac, it uses a USB ended mouse. Which I think only come in Mac

nah i got a cheap one from wal-mart and it wasnt mac
Quote by think11270
You're welcome!
and a cheapy presonus inspire interface (200$, about to upgrade) with an AKG condenser mic. (180$)

but so far with a few tests I've done it sounds much better than the old macbook.

Oh gosh. Not even 30 seconds into the song. Sounds GREAT! Do you use an EQ?
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
Right clicking on a MacBook is not hard you just do a 2 finger tap on the trackpad so no need to push ctrl

Get a MacBook if you have enough money
Well thanks man, I appreciate it a lot.

Yeah, but not a whole lot. I like the acoustic guitar to do most of the talking.
I just throw a little bit of reverb, double the tracks and pan them opposite sides.
Then put the vocals right in the middle.

Also garageband that comes with the apple computers is pretty good to get started with if you're unfamiliar with recording programs. And it comes with some sweet loops

ha i should be an apple rep. I'm a fanboy.
*sigh.

Quote by think11270
You're welcome!

so thats $1780 for the laptop if it had minimum stats, and a few grand for the imac?

brass tacks, man, what did each of these cost? you know you can add it up.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by think11270
Well thanks man, I appreciate it a lot.

Yeah, but not a whole lot. I like the acoustic guitar to do most of the talking.
I just throw a little bit of reverb, double the tracks and pan them opposite sides.
Then put the vocals right in the middle.

Also garageband that comes with the apple computers is pretty good to get started with if you're unfamiliar with recording programs. And it comes with some sweet loops

ha i should be an apple rep. I'm a fanboy.
*sigh.

LOL yeah, I think I'm going to save for a Mac instead of a new guitar. I need the comp upgrade 10x more. lol..

but hey mate, i'm going to add that your space!
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
Quote by Mockstairwell

You can buy two-button Mac mice.
Quote by redneckrebel
Wow...just wow

A clapstack? My life is complete.
Quote by think11270
You're welcome!

Woah, great stuff, that sounds awesome

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by Zugunruhe
so thats $1780 for the laptop if it had minimum stats, and a few grand for the imac?

brass tacks, man, what did each of these cost? you know you can add it up.

actually included the mic and software, the minimal stat macbook is $1100. If not that then $1200, and likewise for the iMac. soo...thats a grand total of $1480-$1580.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
I say pwnd/owned alot, and n00b even more frequently.

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
Either one is a good choice, and I would only say PC because it's the type of computer I grew up on and am most comfortable with.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
All of you saying there is no right click are idiots.

Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by SRX700
All of you saying there is no right click are idiots.

Yea, but mighty mice suck...

To right click you still need to click on the farthest possible point on the right side of the mouse.

Apple's designers are hit or miss...the Mighty Mouse...huge miss...
If you want to use a desktop, build your own computer.

If you want to use a laptop, get the MacBook Pro and nothing less.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I have been on mac since 1990, I have a PC as well (using it now) but I would go Mac.
Quote by Mockstairwell

spoken like someone who has never used a mac before
Quote by Mockstairwell

AND IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO BUY A TWO-BUTTONED MOUSE!

Quote by evortre

Yeah, you're right. USB mice only "come in Mac." It's not like the 'U' in 'USB' stands for Universal.

Seriously. How have you even logged onto this website tonight? That, coupled with the fact that you're asking "PC, Mac, or Macbook," as if those things are somehow mutually exclusive, I'd say don't get a Mac. You'll never figure it out.

Quote by thelurker
Macs don't have Minesweeper.

Yeah, you have to spend a whole two minutes downloading it. What a fucking ripoff.
You're*
Quote by Jugthug42

To right click you still need to click on the farthest possible point on the right side of the mouse.

Maybe you just got a crappy mouse? I don't have to go to the far right for it to work.

Quote by Survivalism
AND IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO BUY A TWO-BUTTONED MOUSE!

Look 5 posts above yours.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by Jugthug42

Two things.

One- get a mac for recording, it's worth it in the end.

Two- I right clicked from my mighty mouse in a comfortable manner onto the 'quote' button in your post to open it in a new tab, just to prove how easy it is. Right clicking is a breeze, and after the first 10 minutes with my mighty mouse, I have missed the right click maybe 15 times? And I've had it for about a year and a half. Most of those misses were due to intoxication as well.

Two and a half- The scroll wheel sucks. Get used to not using it, because it WILL break and then work intermittently.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Mockstairwell

You can use a PC mouse with a mac btw.

I think the new mac mouses have right click anyways, but i'm not 100% sure.
If you have a Mac, you can get Logic and that's all you need to know.

Logic + Reason = all you'll ever need for recording.

You can also get Cubase or Pro Tools for Mac if that's your preference.

Macs also tend to get along better with hardware such as interfaces and whatnot.

As far as the right clicking issue, any USB mouse will work with a mac, or you can just ctrl-click. If you think you can't right click on a mac, you obviously haven't used one since 1995.
I really don't get why people slate Macs for not having right-click. Firstly, most Mac software is coded so you hardly ever have to right-click. Secondly, Control-click has the same effect. Thirdly, get this, ANY OLD MOUSE WILL WORK! I have a knackered old £10 Packard Bell mouse plugged into my Macbook and you know what, it works perfectly.

Rant over with, I'll say what I said in the other thread about this a few days ago, Macs are great for recording. They use RAM (which is the important thing for recording) much more efficiently than a Window-based system of the same spec, same with processor speed. I have a 2.4GHz Macbook with 1Gb of RAM, which isn't exactly a great spec, but it can handle recording 8 tracks simultaneously, and can play back millions without overloading as long as you haven't gone over the top with plugins on each track (little tip, instead of having a different reverb for each track, put one on an aux fader and send everything you want reverberated to it, saves a hell of a lot of processor power)

And yes, Logic is Mac only, and I think it's the best option for home recording (IMO Pro Tools only comes into its own on an HD system with decent plugins, the ones you get with M-Powered are awful compared to the Logic ones)
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
everyone's speaking like you have no budget. now i dont know how limited you are but if you anything like me, youve seen all these mac enthusiasts and decided its the only way to go. thats very wrong. if money is no object tp you and you can spend that much, im sure Macbook Pro is great. but if your considering saving some money and just going with a mac thats a couple years old (iBook for example) then id just get a PC since they're not as expensive as the high end Macs but still work great. (btw im writing this from a Mac)
I hate my sig
Page 1 of 2