With Christmas coming up and a 50 watt tube amp on my wishlist, I was wondering which overdrive pedal is good to use with a tube amp to give you that crunchy tone. I was willing to spend near 50 to 70 dollars but have no problem going under it . I'm thinkin the Blues overdrive Boss overdrive or the Bad monkey. Do I even need one thanks.
every overdrive pedal is good to use with a tube amp, that's what they're designed for. overdriven solid state amps sound garbage.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I play through a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver as my 'overdrive' pedal, it gives out some great overdriven marshall/fender-ish blues sounds. Good for some crunch, but not so great if distortion is what you're looking for.

It's also a couple bucks out of your stated price range, but it's a great pedal.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Quote by GNRjungle87
What amp are you getting...?

I'm getting either a Crate V18 V33 V50 and I've tried it and absolutely loved them I'm leanin towards the V33. I don't really need to hear that it sucks im getting it anyway it sounded great.
Quote by brownsfan456
I'm getting either a Crate V18 V33 V50 and I've tried it and absolutely loved them I'm leanin towards the V33. I don't really need to hear that it sucks im getting it anyway it sounded great.

Lol, I won't be telling you it sucks. I really recommend an Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer, I got one a coupe of weeks ago, and it really tightened my tone up.
Oh man, the TS-9 is a great pedal. +1.

There's a reason SRV played through one.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
For your budget, the badmonkey is the best.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by brownsfan456
Any good my bad

Edit button.

And, no I wouldn't think so.
check out a bbe green screamer... ive never tried one but theyre going for 50 bucks at guitarcenter. check out some youtube clips
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
dont want to steal the thread but what drive pedal do you guys think is the most transparent?

like i really dont want "distortion" i just want to drive tubes to a natural breakup.
(i usually play blues, occasionally classic rock)
^Next time, start a new thread, but a clean boost is what you're looking for, something like an MXR micro amp, a exh LPB1, or a BBE Boosta Grande to name a few.
but wont boost still raise the volume? i want to be able to drive it at lower volumes.(ie for practicing at home)
You can't drive the tubes at low volumes. If you have a master volume on your amp you could turn that low and drive the preamp tubes, but it won't sound right for blues without poweramp saturation.

To drive the tubes at low volumes you need an attenuator.
If you're happy with the amps tones, then why do you need an OD? Do they have less gain than you need, or something?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...