Okay, so I want a 5150 but not only are the combos very hard to find on craigslist, I hear that the stock shettfield(sp?) speakers are bad, so I am wondering if I should just get a head and cab although I think thats a little more expensive.

A big issue is volume, I hear that the combo takes less volume to get to that sound you want but I don't know how much higher I would need to go if I went head/cab. Would it be way too loud to play in a bed room setting if I went head/cab? Would getting a 1x12 or 2x12 cab make that issue as quiet as possible?

I see a head on craigslist for 450$ which seems like a great deal, although it has groovetube tubes in it it says... what are those? Is this a good price?

So yeah, thanks in advance

edit: Also, what kind of cab might you recommend thats about 200-300 dollars? Also, for metal if that helps
i have a combo. very old 5150 I. For a bedroom setting i have to keep it pretty much at 1 or below on the volume (for comfortable practicing). maybe 2 for when no one's home and u absolutely wanna rock out.
The combo is 60 watt and the head is 100 so the head would be even more crazy loud.

If you are only using it in the bedroom then it really is overkill. but hey its up to you. The speakers aren't THAT bad i don't think. Groove tubes are just a brand of tubes (probably referring to the power tubes i think).

The combo takes 5 pre amp tubes (12AX7 type) and 2 power tubes (6L6 type)
The head takes 5 pre amp tubes and 4 power tubes.

But to get that acclaimed tone no matter what u get it has to be very loud. when quiet it is a bit squishy and u have to rely on pre amp gain instead of power tube drive. You won't get the most out of a 5150 at bedroom levels.

People say good things about Vader cabs. though i don't know anything about cabs really.

Spelling of the speakers is Sheffield.

Hope that helps dude.

Oh also if u get a head/cab version then u can use an attenuator which goes between the amp and the speakers and allows you to turn the amp up heaps more without the increase in volume, resulting in that proper tone but at lower volume.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Quote by 123-Trav
i have a combo. very old 5150 I. For a bedroom setting i have to keep it pretty much at 1 or below on the volume (for comfortable practicing). maybe 2 for when no one's home and u absolutely wanna rock out.
The combo is 60 watt and the head is 100 so the head would be even more crazy loud.

If you are only using it in the bedroom then it really is overkill. but hey its up to you. The speakers aren't THAT bad i don't think. Groove tubes are just a brand of tubes (probably referring to the power tubes i think).

The combo takes 5 pre amp tubes (12AX7 type) and 2 power tubes (6L6 type)
The head takes 5 pre amp tubes and 4 power tubes.

But to get that acclaimed tone no matter what u get it has to be very loud. when quiet it is a bit squishy and u have to rely on pre amp gain instead of power tube drive. You won't get the most out of a 5150 at bedroom levels.

People say good things about Vader cabs. though i don't know anything about cabs really.

Spelling of the speakers is Sheffield.

Hope that helps dude.

Oh also if u get a head/cab version then u can use an attenuator which goes between the amp and the speakers and allows you to turn the amp up heaps more without the increase in volume, resulting in that proper tone but at lower volume.

Thanks, dude. How much does an attenuator run for? Or is there a way to improve the speakers in the Combo?