i've been playing guitar for about a year and half or so and i want to give composing my own stuff in the genre of blues, rock, maybe a hint of funk, but i don't exactly know where to start. any tips?

as far as music theory goes, i know a moderate amount. im no guru, but i do know a bit of it.
pick a few scales, fiddle around till you find a phrase that you like, then try harmonizing it.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by Freepower
Start anywhere you like. Sing a melody, find a cool chord, work from there.
This

Find a cool chord progression, probably using mostly dominant-like chords (X13, x9, x7, X7#9 X7b5 and so on). You know how to comp chords in a bluesy sort of style? EDIT: and make sure you're thumbing a sort of walking bassline with lots of chromatics and stuff.

Find a bluesy melody. Basically sing some low pentatonic and use alot of repetition. Transpose it and change a few notes so it's mostly consonant with the chord progression.

Improvise in the phrasing gaps.

Sing about what a horrible person you are for beating your lady and sing about drinking alcohol and sing about satan's minions trying to get you.

Instant blues song.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Nov 20, 2008,
Sing about what a horrible person you are for beating your lady and sing about drinking alcohol and sing about satan's minions trying to get you.

Instant blues song.

very good advice
Quote by nick_kcin
very good advice
Hell yeah, Robert Johnson FTW. Him and Son House are the only two delta bluesy guys I can spend more than 10 minutes listening to.
Quote by nick_kcin
very good advice

I also lolled at that quote

At least he's honest in a way. Just start with what you like. Like a melody, or a chord, or a sound or lyrics. Then record it and listen afterwards. If you don't like a part, figure out why. Go through theory, or listen to artists that come close to the sound u'd rather want, and analyze what they play (go through their tabs etc.)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??