Page 1 of 2
ok so my drummer and i were jamming today, and just as were packing up to leave two cop cars pull up in front of his house. i made the obligatory "i didnt do it" joke, but it turns out, yeah, i did do it. well, part of it, at least.

the cops were answering a disturbance call because somebody apparently called to complain about us being too loud. happens all the time, i know. but the thing is, weve been jamming together for a few years now, and my friend has been drumming for four years. there isnt anyone new in the neighborhood so we dont know why anyone would have a problem now as opposed to back then.

anyway, the cops told all five of us that they could give us all tickets for participating in the noisemaking. since there was only two of us with instruments, i guess that it just applied to us.

a third cop comes.

they ask my friend to play the drums just so they can hear how loud it gets. so he does. they say its way too loud and if hes gonna make that much noise then he either needs to soundproof his garage or get a noise permit.

what the **** is a noise permit?

we cant soundproof the garage, cuz that costs two thousand dollars or some **** that we cant afford, and they said that a noise permit is like a one time thing.

so basically for all you tl;dr people, my friend cant drum anymore because the next time someone calls with a complaint theyre gonna make him pay a fine. what do we do?

in other news, we found a vocalist.
Play even louder

Fu*k you society
Trust me I'm a doctor

A doctor with a mustache
sucks man! this is the second thread i've read today about neighbours being dicks about noise complaints
It doesn't cost 2 grand to soundproof, just get a s**t ton of old matresses and pillows and blankets etc and cover the walls with em. That's what we did and it's whisper quiet even with the PA and mixing board cranked with a live drummer, a halfstack, and a full stack blasting.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by mathieupM13
Play even louder

Fu*k you society

Get the entire Pit to come play a huge F*** You concert for your neigbors and the cops at your house.
i made a deal with my neighbors to not practice before or after a certain time so they're cool about it. douchebag cop in our little village/town stopped by one day to brag about gear and tell us to keep it down, he was half way cool about it and couldn't really do anything since no one complained. sound proofing can be done cheaply man, old carpet, mattresses, bubble wrap all put on the walls makes a world of difference and for the most part it's all free if you know where to look.
Mass genocide within your neighborhood. Don't forget Africa.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
in the words of spinal tap...
"these go to 11"
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
same thing has happened to me... we got a warning too...

as for what to do...

either rotate houses that you practice at... if you have 5 members and practice once a week.. that's only like 1 a month that you have to worry about..

other option is put a letter in all your neighbor's mailboxes saying that you will be practicing on such and such date and if they have a problem you will gladly not play (of course not gladly tho) also, give them your phone number so they can call you first, and not the cops. let them know that you will turn down without the cops showing up.

there's also practice studios you can rent fairly cheap, depending on how often you practice.

otherwise, cheap soundproofing = matresses and carpets up against the walls.. think MASS. go dumpster diving in carpet store dumpsters.

also, maybe try playing in a room in your house.... garage doors basically act as a giant drum head... go inside and put a bed up against the window and you should be all set..
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
haha that sucks. i thought that it doesn't matter how loud you are, they can't do anything about it... untill 8 (or ten?) oclock. then its a disturbance of peace. at least thats what the pig told me.... i guess it depends where you live. i dunno. ill shut up now.
Whatever it is you do, DO NOT CLICK HERE! ! it will bring the end of the world upon us all!!!! I swear you click it, and you will end o.O
play with brushes. anyway, an overly loud drummer can instantly ruin a band.
I have no opinion on this matter.
After our first complaint, Me and my cousin played incredibly loud to the point where our lame neighbors moved away and the cool neighbors moved in.

Turn the volume up to 11 and let nature do the rest. It always works.
Quote by mathieupM13
Play even louder

Fu*k you society

this. and congrats on the singer!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by inhatredofme
i made a deal with my neighbors to not practice before or after a certain time so they're cool about it. douchebag cop in our little village/town stopped by one day to brag about gear and tell us to keep it down, he was half way cool about it and couldn't really do anything since no one complained. sound proofing can be done cheaply man, old carpet, mattresses, bubble wrap all put on the walls makes a world of difference and for the most part it's all free if you know where to look.

Someone using their brain. Nice.

Unless you wanna get a sh*t ton of fines, I'd suggest following this guy's advice.
That 'rebellious teen phase' is only 'cool' when you're a teen. In the normal world, it just gets you in a position to be unable to practice. If you guys are serious, you should probably all chip in to get soundproofing done. That's why my last band did.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
buy a bunch of those foam things and just put it all arround on the walls.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Find a new place to jam.
Sometimes we jam at our guitarists place until like, 11:30(we'd go later, but our drummer doesn't have his after-midnights yet on his drivers liscence) No one ever complains.
One time our drummer was staying at the guitarists place, and we went to like 1:30. Then we saw a van drive by and stop across the street. Then it drove off. We assumed they were checking who to call the cops on, so we rushed to put everything away...The cops never came.
Quote by Lopez72
Get the entire Pit to come play a huge F*** You concert for your neigbors and the cops at your house.

Quote by inhatredofme

yeah we have a deal where we cant practice after 6:30 but it was only 4:30 when they came. it was apparently a different neighbor
good idea!

Quote by Garou1911
It doesn't cost 2 grand to soundproof, just get a s**t ton of old matresses and pillows and blankets etc and cover the walls with em. That's what we did and it's whisper quiet even with the PA and mixing board cranked with a live drummer, a halfstack, and a full stack blasting.
Quote by jetfuel495
what the **** is a noise permit?

A noise permit is this genius invention by the law system that makes people not care that they can't sleep due to your racket. You should get your hands on one, they're pretty nifty.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Yeah, the deal thing is a good call too. When we first moved in we explained everything to our neighbors about us being musicians and gave them each of our cell numbers. If it was too late or too loud they would call and let us know, they were so cool and appriciative about it they spent half a Saturday afternoon on the phone with us while we tweaked the levels so they woulden't be bothered.

Just be respectful and understand that not everyone likes their music at ear shattering levels. They'll probably be a lot cooler then you'd give em credit for.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by GrungeJunkie
kill your neighbours. Decaying corpses make great stage props!!!

Works especially well if you play in a black metal band. You can go all Gorgoroth with it, except the crucifixion will be real.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by jetfuel495
oh yeah and btw its my friends house that we jam at, and his garage has a **** ton of power tools hanging off every wall so we dont know how wed do all the ghetto rig soundproofing, but weve thought about it before

It's not too tough. you'd have to spend a little dough, but get some large plywood sheets, make "feet" for em so they can be free standing, and screw the matresses into the plywood. Then you have temporary soundproof walls that you can put up and take down when you need to. That's how we had it set up wayyy back when (course the other guitarist is a carpenter so that helps ).
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Garou1911
It's not too tough. you'd have to spend a little dough, but get some large plywood sheets, make "feet" for em so they can be free standing, and screw the matresses into the plywood. Then you have temporary soundproof walls that you can put up and take down when you need to. That's how we had it set up wayyy back when (course the other guitarist is a carpenter so that helps ).

this sounds like a good idea ill look into it
You call city hall and ask them what the legal dB limit is for your neighborhood. You then tell the cops they can't give you a permit until they measure you with a dBmeter and you go over.
1.) Find out which neighbors are bothered and calmly tell them that they should call you first before the cops. make them know you are a respectful and intelligent person, they'll be much cooler to you in the future.

2.) make a deal with them on when you can and can't practice

3.) take advantage of times when they are out of the house and practice then

4.) tell your drummer to quiet the **** down. any drummer worth his salt knows how to play with dynamics. even if he doesn't you could always get him brushes
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
Buy your drummer brushes, and play Jazz versions of your own songs, which to be honest, you should be doing anyway.
Quote by GrungeJunkie
kill your neighbours. Decaying corpses make great stage props!!!
They make good soundproofing too.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
In my hometown, no one really gives a **** how loud you are.

Of course, the houses are usually about 50 yards apart.
Theres plenty of cheap ways to soundproof something, egg cartons, carpet, etc. idk if this stuff works because Ive never tried but I think its worth a shot in your case.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Page 1 of 2