Hey I'm looking to spend about $200 on a good audio interface that will allow me to record guitar on my computer. Any suggestions on what to get? I've heard bad things about the M-Audio Fast track, and I don't know any other alternatives. Keep in mind that the $200 doesn't include the mic and the software.
Hello,

I've been getting good results using a Behringer V amp 2 running stereo through a Lexicon alpha with Cubase LE. Interface was only $80 USD. You recording electric or acoustic?

Regards,

James Erceg
+1 on acoustic or electric?

I suggest the Mackie Onyx Satellite firewire interface. It is a great unit but wont work on Vista. The PreSonus Inspire is another great choice at $200 and features just about the same as the Mackie but with lower end preamps and a few less connections.

The Fast Track USB units are quite a bit lower on the sound quality range but M-Audio makes great Vista drivers if you have that OS.

If you have an acoustic, be sure to save up another $100 for a mic or two. I suggest the MXL 990/991 pack for acoustics. The Shure SM57 works well for any type of electric guitar and is quite a nice mic to have around in any studio IMO.

Going below $150 will start dropping your sound quality. If you look into the USB units be sure it is a USB 2.0 connection or you will have some latency. The Toneports are 1.1 USB. EMU has the 0202 and 0404 which are both 2.0 USB.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 20, 2008,