I'm planning on getting a new amp. I have a 5150, and although I like the LOLDISTORTYOURFACEOFFTONE, it's not the most versatile thing in the world. I plan on dabbling into some jazz, but I also like to play all kinds of rock and metal stuff, so versatility has to be there. Can someone who has experience with both amps gimme some sorta comparison? Thanks.

Tl;dr (though it is quite short)

I want an amp that has a pure clean tone that's good for jazz, a good rock crunch, and a tight death metal distortion.

EDIT: I still haven't gotten a new amp. Still kinda at that same impasse.

So what exactly is the difference between a DC and a caliber? Is a DC 2 recommendable? I found a guy that's willing to trade with me for my 5150. What's the usual going price on a DC2? Should I ask him to add some cash? How much, if so?

Thanks.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Last edited by abcdboy at Jan 11, 2009,
It can do everything pretty well, I got rid of mine since I couldn't get a good blues tone out of it, other than it's great. It has fantastic cleans, and on the gain channel it really excels at hard rock and metal tones.

BTW I had an F-30
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
It can do everything pretty well, I got rid of mine since I couldn't get a good blues tone out of it, other than it's great. It has fantastic cleans, and on the gain channel it really excels at hard rock and metal tones.

BTW I had an F-30

Hmm. I wonder how my RT150 will sound out of it. I'm getting super bluesy tones out of it when playing with my 5150.

Any more input?
Gear...
Don't know what that is, but it can probably do blues better than your 5150. It didn't do blues in the sense that the clean channel didn't sound good overdriven, if you just need a clean tone for some noodling it will do just fine.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I think it's the digitech multieffects thingy.

The clean channel is a bit dark and glassy (great for jazz if you cut back the treble). The F-100 is the best of the breed by a long-shot. I wasn't a blues player back in the day so I can't help you too much from when I did own one.

Vitchb has an F-100, seems like he's a blues guy. Definatly hit him up. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/vitchb/
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
F series is great for just about anything. I say try one out if you can.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I forgot to mention, the effects loop onboard is pretty lame. I can't remember if it's a series or parallel, I'm thinking parallel. It has a mix knob.

The dirty channel does take pedals in front of the amp very well though.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/mesa_boogie/f-100_head/index.html

Vitch and my review. I was a bit more of a tone noob at the time so be easy on me!
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by MESAexplorer
I forgot to mention, the effects loop onboard is pretty lame. I can't remember if it's a series or parallel, I'm thinking parallel. It has a mix knob.

The dirty channel does take pedals in front of the amp very well though.

Yea to both....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
So what about the Caliber amps? Anyone have any experience with those?

And I think I've been asking the wrong question with the F series...What won't it do well?

Thanks.
Gear...
i dunno much about the caliber series.. but i can tell you that the F-50 is definitely one of those distort your face of kinda amps, on channel 2 you cant get any really good mid gain/ blues tones at all, its just always sounds like theres too much gain, mesa amps from my experience are really "cold" amps compared to other tube amps ive played. The clean channel on the f-50 is decent but thats about it, its nothing to go crazy over.

i owned the F-50 for about 2 weeks and sold it, it really was that bad imho, but some ppl seem to love it, i bought a Laney which is a huge tone improvement, its so damn articulate even on higher gain and has pretty good cleans too

the express series (which replaced the F-50) might give you what you want, i think of the express as the lonestar with more gain, and the F-series as a mellowed out rectifier
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
The DC amps are great amps. The cleans on the DC amps are much nicer than the F-Series. To keep things short since I'm strapped for time, think of the DC amps as the link between the Mark Series and a Recto.
f30 will do all that and more... witha good od it can be all you face too. im verrrrry satisfied. sorry for the lousy typing im on my blackberry in math class...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
I think the F-series should suit you well. The clean is great if you have the right pick-ups, and a good jazz tone is defiantly achievable, i know a couple jazz type bands who use em'. Its also good for blues too, the gain control is where you'll get your versatility from, but you need to mess with your volume knob on your guitar to get the best blues tones. And for rock and metal its very good too, it can do pretty much any rock or metal tone you throw at it until you want very brutal tight metal craziness, as the low end gets a bit flaby.
But seeing as it can do pretty much anything well... its probably a good choice for you.
PS. I havnt yet tried a DC, but seeing as they are the predecessors of the F's, im sure it ticks the same boxes
Ahh...I'm still stuck between the two...

Will the F 30 be louder than the Caliber .22? Significantly?

So which amp would be better for death, super tight distortion, metal?
How about jazz?
Rock? Like the kind where it distorts/cleans up depending on your attack.
Which amp will I get a better OD tone out of? I really like Petrucci's OD tone.

Thanks.
Gear...
If i were you, id get the f-30, i hear they are a bit tighter for metal than the DC. Btw, it wont be a lot louder, but it'll be loud, louder than you'd expect.
Petrucci uses mark IV's, and F series are usually considered slightly more mark like than recco, so i think you'r ok there too. I would advice getting an OD pedal to go with the F series to tighten it up a bit though, well you'd wanna do that with the DC too, well pretty much any tube amp actully :P

Try and test them both, then see.. good luck
I had a Mesa/Boogie Studio Caliber .22 + amp.

It was really great for everything, it had the 5 band EQ and enough gain on tap for anything. Clean tones were really nice and shimmery. Very Fenderish is a sense, but a little bit more glassy. I'll tag that on because of the EL84s. Overdriven, the amp was very aggressive and in your face. Great for rock and metal.

Basically, you could do anything with those amps. Especially the ones with the graphic EQ.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'm kinda leaning towards the .22 right now because of price, and "glassy" cleans...I like my cleans glassy

Last questions: Will the .22 be loud enough for gigs w/ a drummer? Is the F 30? How much will I have to crank them? Are they heavy amps?

Thanks.
Gear...
Quote by abcdboy
I'm kinda leaning towards the .22 right now because of price, and "glassy" cleans...I like my cleans glassy

Last questions: Will the .22 be loud enough for gigs w/ a drummer? Is the F 30? How much will I have to crank them? Are they heavy amps?

Thanks.

She does have glassy cleans and handles the light stuff quite well. Also she gets pretty loud, should be just loud enough to get over a drummer. I didnt have her cranked up enough to see where she breaks up though. And they are pretty heavy for being so small..

As for metal..... They will only get there with a pedal...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
She does have glassy cleans and handles the light stuff quite well. Also she gets pretty loud, should be just loud enough to get over a drummer. I didnt have her cranked up enough to see where she breaks up though. And they are pretty heavy for being so small..

Alright, so what I've gotten so far: The f30 is more distortion oriented, and the Caliber series is more clean oriented. Am I right?

Hmm... What amps would be comparable to the f30? How bout to the Caliber amps? None of my local stores carry Mesa's, so I can't try them out...

Thanks.
Gear...
Quote by IbanezPsycho

My .22 was light. Everything was stock too.

It could do metal without a pedal. It's a 2 channel amp. It has plenty of gain on tap. You just can't pack on too much gain (The gain knob at 8-10). It'll feedback.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
My .22 was light. Everything was stock too.

It could do metal without a pedal. It's a 2 channel amp. It has plenty of gain on tap. You just can't pack on too much gain (The gain knob at 8-10). It'll feedback.

Interesting, Is the studio .22 different then the caliber? That could be the issue... I played a Studio .22 but when I research them the Caliber always pulls up with it..
To be honest, they will both do what you're looking for, don't think the F-30 doesn't have glassy cleans either. If i were you, id just pick the one which is a better deal.
At risk of being killed for necroposting...

I still haven't gotten a new amp. Still kinda at that same impasse.

So what exactly is the difference between a DC and a caliber? Is a DC 2 recommendable? I found a guy that's willing to trade with me for my 5150. What's the usual going price on a DC2? Should I ask him to add some cash? How much, if so?

Thanks.
Gear...
Anyone? D:
Gear...
Last bumb before I give up....
Gear...
I lied...I'll bump once more.
Gear...
The Lonestar is their best amp for mid-gain/low-gain lead/blues/jazz stuff, imo.

Maybe save up a bit, get one, and A/B between the 5150 and Lonestar?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I've actually tried out a lonestar. I love it, but it's not really (excuse the cheesiness) me.
Gear...