Okay, first off, heres my story:
In GC looking at pedals, now I'm not much of a pedal guy so I start talkin to the nearest guy working on the floor, and we I said i was looking at the MXR 10 Band EQ, and the NS-2, and he says that if I get an EQ then I wont need a noise suppressor because the EQ will cut out noise. At first, because i know nothing, I assume this guy is probably right, he sounds like it and all......
...But then we start talking about amps, and heads in perticular, and then the first thing he takes me over to check out was a Line 6 spider III......so now my faith in him is totally shot.
so I ask you, is he right? or should I just ignore GC workers?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Well an EQ can take out some unwanted noise if you EQ certain freq's to 0, but it's probably not as good as a noisegate.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
It's hard when you know nothing and go to GC though.
You always leave feeling slightly mindraped.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
they are all idiots.....trust me i go there all the time they sold me 2 , thats rite 2 broken guitars.....the necks were all screwed up b/c they stored them in a place that was too humid
I went to Guitar Center a while back to get a Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ and a sales clerk told me they went out of business and didn't make anything anymore. Every music gear website I've been to still has them (including guitarcenter.com) so I don't think he had any idea what he was talking about. So in my experiences I wouldn't listen to people that work at Guitar Center.
Okay, dont trust GC people...got it...but was he right about the EQ vs noise suppressor thing?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

No an EQ wont replace a noise gate. The people hired at places like guitar center arent hired because they know what they are doing. The turn over in sales people is pretty high. So they just basically look for warm bodies. Any body actually qualified probably wont lower themselves to work for a place like that.
Now correct me if I am wrong but an EQ will cut or boost what ever frequencies you have modified on the EQ all the time as long as the EQ is on right? A noise gate only cuts the high frequency hiss and hum when the signal from the input drops below a certain threshold like when you stop playing.

So altering your EQ to eliminate the hiss and hum would be affecting your tone when you are playing where as a noise gate would only be active when you aren't playing. I am going to have to say the guy is wrong.

Do I have that right or am I missing something?
I dunno about you guys and your luck with the gc dudes. I always go for the old grey beards that work there.

I swear, I've had convos with the older guys about how fender has slowly declined, about how les pauls are starting to become a cult following, how the older Ibanez models were possibly the best guitars ever made, how boss/roland work and distribute, how a pick changes tone, how tube amps really work, why dimebag preferred solidstate amps, why no one remembers that led zeppelin was metal and they cut their mids, and the origin of rock and roll as we know it.

Seriously. Talk to the older guys.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
That is funny, many are just plain idiots, however some of them are good. Try to get a good sales person at ANY shop, not just guitar shops. You can tell the salesperson that you want to deal with someone else if you think they are dicks, then it also looks bad on them and soon they get fired.
a good EQ can do a lot of noise suppression, but essentially that just means youre tone is getting better.
noise gate cut out excess hum and feedback, making youre tone a lot punchier
sadly though, the noisegate can reduce your gain a bit
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.