Hey guys, I love reading about deep thinking, and psychology related stuff. So I was wondering what exactly are dreams, or how do they work? I know they are obviously a series of events or images that randomly go through your mind, but I mean a dream really really feels realistic sometimes... What kind of state is your mind in, is your mind tricked that it is real? ANything on this topic that you want to comment on is appreciated, or any good site for this kind of stuff is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Wait until you lucid dream, that stuff is rediculous. You realize you're dreaming, and you can manipulate your dream to whatever you want and it feels realistic. Very cool thing to experience.
R.I.P. Jeb
07/31/08

FREEZER BURN s YELLOWFRIZBEE
I actually lucid dream fairly often, I just dont really understand what dreaming is or what kind of state your brain is in when it happening
we just went over this a couple weeks ago. basically, the brain can't distinguish between what it sees, and what it remembers. while you're awake, you know which is which, when you're asleep, your brain is essentially tricked into believing the images you see are real.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by Freezer Burn
Wait until you lucid dream, that stuff is rediculous. You realize you're dreaming, and you can manipulate your dream to whatever you want and it feels realistic. Very cool thing to experience.

ever since i took my first psychology course i've been waiting to have a lucid dream...still haven't...
Quote by yamakid17
I actually lucid dream fairly often, I just dont really understand what dreaming is or what kind of state your brain is in when it happening
Me too as a matter of fact. But the control I have over the dream only goes so far, like for example, I can only do things that I could realistically do in real life.
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
just got a lecture on this in psychology. No one is 100 percent sure what dreams are. A common belief is that they are your mind rearranging random memories to make some sense.

btw, Lucid dreams are awesome, you can self induce them by doing dream checks, i.e. looking in a mirror, or pinching yourself. Just make a habit out of it when odd events occur in real life, you will then do it in your dream and be able to control it.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by stilt37
ever since i took my first psychology course i've been waiting to have a lucid dream...still haven't...

There are ways to train yourself to do it. Check wikihow
R.I.P. Jeb
07/31/08

FREEZER BURN s YELLOWFRIZBEE
I place a lot of importance on my dreams. I will make choices based on my dreams. I find my dreams have a certain feeling of being more rational than my everyday thoughts. If my mind wishes to create a scene for me to interact with, it must be for a reason. Almost like my dreams are training my mind to be more at peace with events which may trouble me in "real life."

For example, I would always dream about walking into my class relaxed and confident. Openly speaking to people and doing well in class. This give me the confidence from MYSELF that somewhere inside me, I could cope with any worries round school.

Enjoy them, they're fantastic things.
i don't know much about the technical stuff. but something weird did happen to me involving a dream.
(I know, this sounds pretty minor and kinda stupid, but here goes)

I once dreampt that an old friend who I hadn't talked to for months added me as a friend on facebook. It was one of the few things I could clearly remember about this dream. I forgot about it for most of the day, until I checked my email late that night, (I hadn't checked it in a few days) and seeing that he had indeed added me as a friend.

I know, its a dream about a simple and trivial thing, but is it not strange that I saw something happen in a dream before I saw it in real life?

another weird thing.
I had one of those dreams that you forget almost entirley when you wake up (I mean, you know you had a dream, but you can't remember what it was about). anyway, i put it out of my mind, and about thirty or forty-five minutes after I had woken up, I saw my cat. right as I saw it, i felt a strange feeling in my head, like the feeling I had as I dreampt. I can't describe it, but it was freaky as hell.

so, there's my share on dreams.