alright ive been posting about my bad tone and presumably bad tubes now....

i tried the pencil tapping test (or rather plastic pen) and no pops or crackles. however i get this crazy loud buzz hum and crackling noise without me touching anything.

while i was in the amp i decided to change one of my preamp tubes (one that had a dimmer triode.....just one dim one lol...i figured it was the bad tube and i would replace em all after i bought some new pre's). it made my cleans a little better which was unexpected. however the nasty noises did not go away. they chilled for a second and came back. it was relaxed until i suppose the tubes warmed up all the way.

the tone's fine, its just a horrid noise now. so what is it? power tubes, pre tubes, problem with amp (god i hope not).

when i add a lot of bass and the pre is cranked, it tends to fart a lot but if i turn down the pre and add more master volume it handles it just fine.

EDITED: made shorter cuz i practically wrote an essay.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Last edited by giternator at Nov 20, 2008,
This "bee attack" is called hum. It's 60hZ hum, and every guitar is prone to it, to a degree. It becomes more noticeable when you turn up loud, and have a lot of gain on. Also, single coil pickups are very susceptible to it.

A good idea would be to shield your guitar, using the guide at guitarnuts.com, and use the tape at stewmac.com.

BTW, the brightness of tubes is not necessarily an indicator of their health. And I don't believe your hum problem is rooted in your tubes.
lol im not that ignorant man. i know what 60 cycle hum is. i know what it sounds like i can recognize it. this is definitely not it. this is far worse that. i always had that 60 cycle hum but this is far louder and far different. the amp didnt make this much noise. AND did you forget that this noise was being produced without the guitar even plugged in. yes i realize turning it up creates more noise and thats natural for tube amps but this is extremely excessive and 60 cycle hum does not pop or crackle, it hums.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
hey i think my tubes have gone bad too. Ive had them for about a year and whenever i turn the actual standby switch off (to just leave the power on) it pops. Is this an indication that my tubes are bad? Sorry for such a nooby question but its my first time dealing with tubes and such.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
^No.

After a quick bit of research, this sounds like a problem with the circuit. There may be a bad resistor or a cold solder joint, probably around the places where there's alot of voltage. It sounds like it shows itself when the amp is nice and warmed up.

Do you have a guitar amp tech near you? If he's competent, he should know how to check for cold solder joints and such..
yeah i know i wrote a whole essay and i suppose thats not your fault either. dont blame you.

but im just new to tube amps is all. so i wont know how to recognize a bad tube quiet yet. yeah i know if the amp is fluctuation in volume and generally sounding like crap thats a good sign but it actually sounds pretty decent except when i crank the pre which leads me to assume its simply bad pre tubes and the power tubes are fine since cranking the master totally just makes it louder and own lol. i have a preamp volume which is what i mean when i crank the preamp. i maxed that out with the gain just to test which of the tube sections was failing. i normally only run about 3/4 of the gain and half the volume on the pre.

this massive noise problem is only since last night when i was testing to see if i had bad tubes since i had noticed that cranking the pre made it sound really bad. im pretty sure running teh amp with the guitar unplugged is not a problem.

i read that running the amp unplugged and if it squeals (which it did....however only once when i tested it using this method several times) it means bad pre tubes or microphonics basically. but the tapping test came up negative for pops and crackles.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by forsaknazrael
^No.

After a quick bit of research, this sounds like a problem with the circuit. There may be a bad resistor or a cold solder joint, probably around the places where there's alot of voltage. It sounds like it shows itself when the amp is nice and warmed up.

Do you have a guitar amp tech near you? If he's competent, he should know how to check for cold solder joints and such..

thats directed to jpgilbert701 correct? altho i do get a pop too when i flick the power on (not the stand-by). also you can hear the tubes crackling while they warm up which i assumed is normal since they are just warming up, it kinda does that a little bit while im playing too tho so idk if thats just normal. jebus its sounding more and more like i just better take this to a tech.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
heh dam....and here i was thinking all i needed was a tube change. maybe that deal i got on this amp did come with a price >_>. i got it for 1300. im not sure if it always did that crackling tho. i had it for a while while i waited for my custom cab to come in.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
i know a guy i think. wouldnt happen to know anyone in los angeles would you?

im going to the Amp Shop if you got nothing tho. made a relationship with the owner who is also a tech when i went amp shopping. he had so many nice amps i kept coming back until i started annoying him cuz im just some kid who wont buy anything . he had oranges, bogners, engls, vintage marshalls, and some rare odditys like heritage amps. mostly just orange bogner and engl tho and for w/e reason some line 6 stuff lol.

but he said to me that if i ever needed someone to work on my amp even if i didnt buy from him, he'd do it.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
any idea how much this might run me?

also is touching a preamp tube with bare hands a bad idea as it is with power tubes? what do i wipe it with to be safe? i used alcohol and i hope thats not a bad idea.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
is running my mp3 player thru the guitar input a bad idea. i did it a couple of times to work teh speakers a bit when i didnt have time to play thru the thing and i was busy with say laudny and hell who wouldnt want to do laundry to say some bass heavy pantera cranking thru the house lol. but is that a bad idea?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
have you tried plugging your amp into a new outlet in a different room?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Where is your noise suppressor in your chain. All amps have some sort of noise when you turn them up even when there is nothing plugged in to the in put. My VH100 has awful noise even at low volumes but I chucked a Decimator in the Loop and now is quite as any thing. If your NS is in front try it in the Loop, and if its in the Loop try it in front. If your using your amps distortion it should definitely be in the loop. remember that it should always come last in your chain (except for delay/reverb).
Sig What?
Quote by giternator

Nope. I only go to guitar shops when I'm there, never repair places.
Probably quite a few, LA is a big city. Check along Sunset Blvd - tons of shops there.

Quote by giternator
is running my mp3 player thru the guitar input a bad idea. i did it a couple of times to work teh speakers a bit when i didnt have time to play thru the thing and i was busy with say laudny and hell who wouldnt want to do laundry to say some bass heavy pantera cranking thru the house lol. but is that a bad idea?

I've heard of people using this method to break in new speakers, but I feel it doesn't have the same effect as using a guitar. There are other ways to break in new speakers.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-315954.html
Quote by JLT73
have you tried plugging your amp into a new outlet in a different room?

no i have not. i will definitely try that now.

hey that link u gave me is for a webe speaker and talks about speaker "doping". what exactly does that have to do with the way im breaking in my speaker. if its any consilation i wont be doing that anymore since its somewhat broken in a sweeter now and i can do the rest with time.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by darth awsome
Where is your noise suppressor in your chain. All amps have some sort of noise when you turn them up even when there is nothing plugged in to the in put. My VH100 has awful noise even at low volumes but I chucked a Decimator in the Loop and now is quite as any thing. If your NS is in front try it in the Loop, and if its in the Loop try it in front. If your using your amps distortion it should definitely be in the loop. remember that it should always come last in your chain (except for delay/reverb).

i never needed a noise suppresor before since i could deal with the small amount of noise i was getting. its pretty much impossible to even get feedback with this amp even with the gain dimed. but a noise suppressor doesnt solve the problem of my tubes crackling as they warm up either. so obviously this isnt sounding like an easy fix.

this type of thing makes a guy want to go back to solid state amps -_-. such a pain.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
hey that link u gave me is for a webe speaker and talks about speaker "doping". what exactly does that have to do with the way im breaking in my speaker. if its any consilation i wont be doing that anymore since its somewhat broken in a sweeter now and i can do the rest with time.

No, if you read it all, using spray on fabric softener shaves off hours the break-in time.

Quote by giternator
this type of thing makes a guy want to go back to solid state amps -_-. such a pain.

Don't let one bad experience get ya down.
i had a similar problem wants, turns out the input jack of the amp was shorting out.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by giternator

im going to the Amp Shop if you got nothing tho. made a relationship with the owner who is also a tech when i went amp shopping. he had so many nice amps i kept coming back until i started annoying him cuz im just some kid who wont buy anything . he had oranges, bogners, engls, vintage marshalls, and some rare odditys like heritage amps. mostly just orange bogner and engl tho and for w/e reason some line 6 stuff lol.

but he said to me that if i ever needed someone to work on my amp even if i didnt buy from him, he'd do it.

There's a dude in Long Beach off 7th st.... Took my Bugera to him to get fixed. He's a lil strange but he knows his stuff.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Last edited by occub at Dec 13, 2008,