As you may or may not know (prolly not), my family moved to England (Aston, Birmingham to be exact) temporarily a year and a half years ago. We originally were to stay a year (23 June 2007-8 July 2008), but we liked Aston so much we stayed for a few months more. Coming back to America, it's like i've lived in Aston my whole life! Everyone won't shut up about my accent (it developed quickly oddly enough), I spell it "Aluminium", I say petrol instead of gas, and I have stopped listening to most of my former fav bands like AC/DC (I heard they're touring from my mate Henry) and Van Halen in favor of Queen, Early Zeppelin, The Who, and a little Hank Marvin and the Shadows. (WTF? I know...)

Point of thread: Anyone else ever experience (or are experiencing) something where you leave, come back later, and everything is different?
.......(_____)
.........( V )
../l-------\/
./ l 666 ll
.- ll.....ll

Evil Cow

I lurk, almost never log in, and like Hank Marvin and the Shadows.
Quote by LimoZeen
I have stopped listening to most of my former fav bands like AC/DC (I heard they're touring from my mate Henry)

FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!
Quote by srq89
WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!WIN!

fix'd.

But yeah, I wish I had the opportunity to live overseas for a little while like that. What are some of the differences between living in England and living here?
spamwise speaks the truth...

i moved from the city to a hick town to the city... i developed an accent...

nah but ive missed **** at school after holidays etc
eg. they arent talking...or theyre goin out etc etc
So you're practically British now? Sucks for you...

At least you don't have to torture yourself with AC/DC anymore.
Ha... yeah...

When I visit the states (Live in Japan-dad in Marines) for the summer when I get in the car I always get in on the drivers side and buckle up and everything and my cousin is just standing there like whats?
Wow. I think I'm gonna move to England so I can get myself an accent.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
do i want an english accent? hmmm.

*weighs hands like a scale*

pussy ... having people actually understand what i'm saying ... pussy ... having people actually understand what i'm saying ...
#DTWD
You liked Birmingham?!? I've decided, due to that, that you must have a mild form of retardation .
Quote by jmilli2
You liked Birmingham?!? I've decided, due to that, that you must have a mild form of retardation .

brum aint that bad, he could have been in Liverpool

altho i dont think anyone will like his terrible pseudo brummy accent now
i like my cockney one, it is hilarious if i do say so meself
Quote by jimmyslashpage
No, but how great is early Zeppelin?

t3h s3x. Especially on vinyl. My house's maid had had this "broken" record player in her closet. Turns out all it needed was a new belt thingy. I never realized that vinyl sounds...better somehow than mp3s. Must investigate why.

Quote by Spamwise
What are some of the differences between living in England and living here?

For everyday conversation, it really depends on where you are. I was in Aston, and the thick Burm accent is damn near impossible to understand if you're not a native. My dad always complained that he could not understand his supervisor. Then he went rather far North with some of his mates to this hotel for a weekend. He understood everyone there.

In Milwaukee, nearly everyone has "the hahnk", a mix IMO of some sort of Canadian and German accent. In short, England is a lot more diverse when it comes to speech.

Back in Aston, the people I knew didn't really give a crap about the election over here and the USA in general, but there was a small amout of hate towards the US. At my school, all the students and teachers were Barack Obama diehards. The election was everything.

About kids my age (14-15), I almost miss the douchebags here compared to the gangsta rappper kids over here. Wait, I take that back about the dbags, but bottom line it's worse. Kids here just seem a little more or less hateful. I really don't appreciate it, especially with my long hair.

EDIT: jmilli2, take that back. I met some good people here.
.......(_____)
.........( V )
../l-------\/
./ l 666 ll
.- ll.....ll

Evil Cow

Last edited by LimoZeen at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by Minkaro
Congratulations. You've become a better person.

Quoted for truth.

I'm pleased you liked it here though, even if it was only Birmingham...

Imagine if you'd gone somewhere nice!

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Quote by imthehitcher
brum aint that bad, he could have been in Liverpool

*mouse hovers over ban button*

my finger might slip

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
*mouse hovers over ban button*

my finger might slip

Dont do anything crazy...

I mean...

Calm down, Calm down!
Aston? Tony Iommi described that place as hell on earth... but yea, glad you like it anyway

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by DanRev
Dont do anything crazy...

I mean...

Calm down, Calm down!

TS, did you catch any football whilst you were here? Aston Villa is arguably the best team in Birmingham (which isn't really an achievement, considering West Brom are their closest competition).
Selly Oak > Aston .......

:<
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
this accent you returned with... is it a generic British accent you often find on US TV (pip pip tally ho and all that) or have you returned to the US with a proper Brummie accent?
Also, good on you for spelling aluminium correctly
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Definitely not a generic accent. I'd say it's a definite cross between the WI hahnk and a brum accent, but seriously leaning towards brum. Only a couple words come out sounding not quite brummie. I hit puberty while there, which may or may not have contributed to me developing an accent. Just a thought.
.......(_____)
.........( V )
../l-------\/
./ l 666 ll
.- ll.....ll

Evil Cow

How can you like aston, its one of the worst places in birmingham. but still birmingham is a nice place...sort of.

Quote by Fiddler
Selly Oak > Aston .......

:<

Damn right!!!
Quote by akack
We beat you 6-0 you stupid mother ****er.

"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society"