I just got a new external hard drive literally like 3 hours ago. I plugged in and transferred some stuff to it, then unplugged it. I go to plug it back in and transfer new stuff onto it, and it won't even come up as being connected to my computer. I've tried every USB port on my computer, so what could be the problem?
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
happened to me too... if its possible, uninstall the drivers it installed, and try reinstalling them.... or just wait it out. keep it plugged in, then restart your computer while its plugged in.
Quote by Patty-cakez
happened to me too... if its possible, uninstall the drivers it installed, and try reinstalling them.... or just wait it out. keep it plugged in, then restart your computer while its plugged in.

How do I go about doing that?
Quote by Snuffles

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Maybe it's not plug and play? Reinstall whatever drivers came with it.

Quote by Survivalism
You...unplugged it without ejecting it and turning it off?

If you did this, you're retarded. At least turn it off before unplugging it.
I got it from newegg.com

I didn't get any software with it, and it says it's plug and play.

I went to the products website and it's the most unuseful thing I've ever seen. I have like 50 gigs of stuff on there now and won't be able to get it back possibly, so im pretty pissed.
Quote by Snuffles

Quote by drop-dead666
Quote by offspring_punk
I got it from newegg.com

I didn't get any software with it, and it says it's plug and play.

I went to the products website and it's the most unuseful thing I've ever seen. I have like 50 gigs of stuff on there now and won't be able to get it back possibly, so im pretty pissed.

Alright, try another computer maybe?
Quote by Avedas
Maybe it's not plug and play? Reinstall whatever drivers came with it.

If you did this, you're retarded. At least turn it off before unplugging it.

If you do THAT, you're retarded. That's the exact same thing as unplugging it. You're cutting the power when it could be right in the middle of writing something, then it gets corrupted and your drive is hosed.

Always, always eject it.
You're*
Quote by Survivalism
If you do THAT, you're retarded. That's the exact same thing as unplugging it. You're cutting the power when it could be right in the middle of writing something, then it gets corrupted and your drive is hosed.

Always, always eject it.

Hmm, yeah. I don't use my external for anything more than holding pictures, music and movies. Half the time it's not interacting with my computer at all.
Well, my computer restarted at some point of me being gone, and when it came back on, it didn't work. So at that point, I inplugged it. It also doesn't have a power switch. The only way to turn it off is to unplug it.
Quote by Snuffles

Quote by drop-dead666
I don't know what OS you're using, but on most Windows (not sure about Vista) there's a setting you can toggle whether you want any connected hardware to require to eject it safely from the desktop before unplugging it/ turning it off.
Quote by offspring_punk
Well, my computer restarted at some point of me being gone, and when it came back on, it didn't work. So at that point, I inplugged it. It also doesn't have a power switch. The only way to turn it off is to unplug it.

Oh, that sucks. My computer randomly restarts all the time. My external has a power switch though.
Quote by st.stephen
I don't know what OS you're using, but on most Windows (not sure about Vista) there's a setting you can toggle whether you want any connected hardware to require to eject it safely from the desktop before unplugging it/ turning it off.

I have XP Pro, so how can I mess with that?

Also, it's a SimpleTech by Fabrik 320 gb external.
Quote by Snuffles

Quote by drop-dead666
It's very possible that you bought a faulty hard drive. Hard drives are the most fragile components of a computer and have the highest failure rate in manufacturing.

I've heard the most durable are made by Iomega.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
does it show up in the device manager?

if it does but it isn't reconised it may be a file system error.

it happened to me, i formatted it to the nfts file system using the g-parted partitioning tool on a ubuntu live cd and it worked after that.
restart your computer
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
I've restarted my computer multiple times, had it plugged in when it restarted, had it unplugged when it restarted. I don't know any technical terms and how to format and all that good junk. It worked when I first plugged it in, now it doesn't. I'm just trying to figure out a reason.
Quote by Snuffles

Quote by drop-dead666
Okay...double post...but weird...I unplugged everything again and plugged it all back in, and it now works...so idk what the problem was.
Quote by Snuffles

Quote by drop-dead666
Quote by offspring_punk
I've restarted my computer multiple times, had it plugged in when it restarted, had it unplugged when it restarted. I don't know any technical terms and how to format and all that good junk. It worked when I first plugged it in, now it doesn't. I'm just trying to figure out a reason.

To open Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

can you find your hard drive when it is plugged in?

EDIT:nevermind then