I have been playing left 4 dead and got a little lag. So I went to some of the sites about it and people kept saying that "Type rate 20000 in console." would fix it.

Problem is, apparently i'm a computer nub cause I have no idea what that means, how to do it, or even what it pertains to.

Help pit please!
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I have been playing left 4 dead and got a little lag. So I went to some of the sites about it and people kept saying that "Type rate 20000 in console." would fix it.

Problem is, apparently i'm a computer nub cause I have no idea what that means, how to do it, or even what it pertains to.

Help pit please!

Don't do it. Console commands most likely won't help performance.

You should compare the specs on your computer to the games minimum and recommended specs, that should give you an idea where your rig is lacking.
try typing ~ in game, then "rate 20000" and finally enter
Quote by iceman95
ok
here's what you do
1. Take a fork, preferably metal.
2. Put some tomato sauce on it.
3. Let tomato sauce on fork dry.
4. Turn it in and call it: "The Spaghetti Massacre."

New guitar fund = beer/0
Quote by dark&broken
Don't do it. Console commands most likely won't help performance.

You should compare the specs on your computer to the games minimum and recommended specs, that should give you an idea where your rig is lacking.

I've read from multiple responses that it has worked for them. Can you explain what it is?
You know how windows runs on dos? Dos is basically the windows console, and by opening a dos prompt you can type in a bunch of commands to do stuff.

In-game consoles are basically the same, they give you access to a lot of functions of the engine that could be used for debugging/testing.
Quote by Guitarfreak777

Help pit please!

That means...go to the console and type "rate 20000." Almost exactly like what it says. I can only assume that means the in-game console, which, in my experience with FPS games, you find by pressing ~.
You're*
Quote by dark&broken
You know how windows runs on dos? Dos is basically the windows console, and by opening a dos prompt you can type in a bunch of commands to do stuff.

In-game consoles are basically the same, they give you access to a lot of functions of the engine that could be used for debugging/testing.

Alright cool,

So do you have any idea how I would set the rate at 20000 in console?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Alright cool,

So do you have any idea how I would set the rate at 20000 in console?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend using console commands unless you know what they do.

Would you mind putting a link to one of these sites? I'll have a look and see if I can figure out what it's supposed to do.
Quote by Guitarfreak777

Those all have to do with online play. It looks the rate thing is something for the speed of your connection.

In fact if you read far enough into the first link (it was on the first page that showed up), one guy specifically says not to set your rate that high, then says 900 is for dsl, 20000 would be lan. So this is just for online play, which, if the game is lagging online, there's likely little that can be done other than finding better servers or a better connection.
Quote by dark&broken
Those all have to do with online play. It looks the rate thing is something for the speed of your connection.

In fact if you read far enough into the first link (it was on the first page that showed up), one guy specifically says not to set your rate that high, then says 900 is for dsl, 20000 would be lan. So this is just for online play, which, if the game is lagging online, there's likely little that can be done other than finding better servers or a better connection.

It happens with almost (if not all) every server I play in.
Still, i'd like to set it to a lower number to see if it works. Could you tell me how to do that?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
It happens with almost (if not all) every server I play in.
Still, i'd like to set it to a lower number to see if it works. Could you tell me how to do that?

Before trying that, I'd suggest going into the games options menu, and finding the settings for online play (might be network or something?), and look for a connection speed option, make sure this is set properly according to your connection speed.

If that doesn't work, just search for how to open/enable the console for that game (every game is different for this, some let you do it from the box, others require editing a file to enable it), then once you can get the console open, open it, and type rate 9000 (or whatever number it is for you're connection type, you'll have to search that too, the first link said 9000 was for dsl, 20000 possibly for cable).