Page 1 of 2
i'm not sure if any of u kids have seen the g3 live in denver video, but it seems like yngwie hogs the entire stage the entire time, when they were all jammin together he had like 300 solos and vai and satch only had like 5 lol. anyways i was jw if any of you guys had seen this before and possibly thought the same thing.
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Gays aren't discriminated against, they just can't get married, big ****ing deal.
thats yngwie for ya
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
well not to mention his solos were all just like exactly the same. no feeling, just him picking as fast as he possibly could before vai finally decides to interrupt him b/c hes trying to steal the show
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Gays aren't discriminated against, they just can't get married, big ****ing deal.
Quote by lewymcgee
well not to mention his solos were all just like exactly the same. no feeling, just him picking as fast as he possibly could before vai finally decides to interrupt him b/c hes trying to steal the show

Yngwie is a huge prick, but ignorant posts like this piss me off. Just because he's incredibly arrogant it doesn't mean he's not a skilled player and has 'no feeling'. Yngwie is one of the more [near] mainstream virtuosos.
im sure theres a few on youtube, but i just got mine off torrent, really tho its not worth ur computers bandwidth, the only one that does a real good job is vai, i sure as heck wasnt impressed with malmsteen, and i was surprised to find that satch's performance was rather rubbish
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Quote by BGSM
Yngwie is a huge prick, but ignorant posts like this piss me off. Just because he's incredibly arrogant it doesn't mean he's not a skilled player and has 'no feeling'. Yngwie is one of the more [near] mainstream virtuosos.

ummm his improv solos had pretty much zero feeling, i dont care how skilled or fast he is, he was just doing arp runs as fast as he could. dont get me wrong, hes an incredible player, but his improv is nothing compared to vai or satch. and it is true tho, he seemed to be trying to hog all the attention at this venue. have u even seen the vid?
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Quote by lewymcgee
ummm his improv solos had pretty much zero feeling, i dont care how skilled or fast he is, he was just doing arp runs as fast as he could. dont get me wrong, hes an incredible player, but his improv is nothing compared to vai or satch. and it is true tho, he seemed to be trying to hog all the attention at this venue. have u even seen the vid?

How do you play "with feeling," and why does playing fast mean you have none?

Guitar isn't all about playing fast, but those people who constantly belittle it as "having no feeling," tend to just be jealous that they can't play with speed. Shredding is a technique, not so different from hammer-ons, or slides, or using the vibrato arm. It gets a certain sound. How does that translate to "zero feeling?"
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by lewymcgee

Yes, I bought the DVD.

I hate all of this crap about 'feeling' - I found Yngwie's solos more moving on that performance that Joe's (and I'm a huge fan of his - see avatar). They don't have to be slow to evoke emotion... and at that moment when I was watching the DVD, I obviously preferred to feel dazzled by Yngwie's playing.

EDIT: ^ Thank you.
The feeling debate again? *sigh* If you rate solos by the amount of emotion put into them, then Lil' Wayne is the best mainstream soloist of all time.

Back on topic. Sounds like Yngwie.
Quote by BGSM

Yeah, he does seem arrogant, but after the jam on that DVD (G3 '03) you can see him out the back with Joe and Steve, and he doesnt seem arrogant then. You can tell he has heaps of respect for them too.
Quote by BGSM

i think if all yngwie WAS doing was picking as fast as he could, that definitely qualifies as unemotional. I believe the guy you quoted was referring to that one performance, not yngwie' career as a whole. Don't be so ignorant yourself
Quote by littlephil
Yeah, he does seem arrogant, but after the jam on that DVD (G3 '03) you can see him out the back with Joe and Steve, and he doesnt seem arrogant then. You can tell he has heaps of respect for them too.

Can't remember that bit, but it could well be his stage presence. His arrogant manor on stage is a lot better than a shy 20 year old that's shredding, standing still and staring at his guitar neck...

EDIT: ^ Tell me how that was ignorant.
Slow playing and lots of bendz = Emotion

His stage antics are so over the top compared to Vai or Satch. It's all over dramatic and stereotypical RaWk N rOll with him destroying the guitar and what not.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by Gunpowder

Guitar isn't all about playing fast, but those people who constantly belittle it as "having no feeling," tend to just be jealous that they can't play with speed. Shredding is a technique, not so different from hammer-ons, or slides, or using the vibrato arm. It gets a certain sound. How does that translate to "zero feeling?"

ok i can understand that this playing with feeling thing has probably been beaten into every gutiarists brain, but i thought this was a time to bring it up again. i could distinguish not one of yngwies improv solos from any of his others, he was clearly just trying to sqeeze every little note he could into his given ammount of bars. it was just pointless shredding.

and dont even try to suggest that im jealous b/c i cant play with speed, if anything i wish i would devote more of my 5-6 hr/day practice sessions to less metal and speed and more to jazz/classical/non speed oriented stuff.
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Quote by Gunpowder

shredding is not a technique, it's a style of playing. If my memory serves me correct, they played Puprle Haze, and while Joe and Steve played really fast solos, they contrasted the quick parts with slower, more melodically carefuly played notes, whereas Yngwie, as always, though "**** that" and just ripped it up, playing way too many notes that didn't really fit at all. THAT is what makes it "zero feeling", the fact that he plays without taste, and plays fast only to show off, or jerk off, or whatever.

EDIT: sorry, my mistake, they played Little Wing, not Purple Haze, and Yngwie reaaaally crapped up the solo in that song. as much as I like neoclassical stuff, I just dont like Yngwie.

Did paganini only write ridiculously hard stuff, just because he could?

NO

And i can garantee you he had twice the talent Yngwie has.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Nov 20, 2008,
meh, that's yngwie. he's a prick who thinks he's talented. he is to a certain degree, but he doesn't really challenge himself too much. he thinks a classical run here or there is enough.
Quote by CoreysMonster
shredding is not a technique, it's a style of playing. If my memory serves me correct, they played Puprle Haze, and while Joe and Steve played really fast solos, they contrasted the quick parts with slower, more melodically carefuly played notes, whereas Yngwie, as always, though "**** that" and just ripped it up, playing way too many notes that didn't really fit at all. THAT is what makes it "zero feeling", the fact that he plays without taste, and plays fast only to show off, or jerk off, or whatever.

Thank you. I think that just about sums it up yo.
Quote by IbanezSA160a
videos please?
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Yeah, he's one of the most unmusical "virtuosos" I've ever heard.

and LOL at him singing Voodoo Chile
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by lewymcgee

Music is art. Art is relative. If he chooses to express himself by playing fast, that's his business. Saying it has no feeling is completely arrogant.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Quote by Dimebag Dave
Music is art. Art is relative. If he chooses to express himself by playing fast, that's his business. Saying it has no feeling is completely arrogant.

or it could just be that Malmsteen completely failed in his artistic objective to convey anything other that "look how fast I am" through his music.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
or it could just be that Malmsteen completely failed in his artistic objective to convey anything other that "look how fast I am" through his music.

Way to hop the bandwagon. You've obviously never listened to his discography, in which, it contains slower, more melodic passages. A lot of his material is rather intriguing; I suggest listening to most of it rather than saying he's a tasteless shredder like most of the anti-shred people on here.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Quote by Dimebag Dave
Way to hop the bandwagon. You've obviously never listened to his discography, in which, it contains slower, more melodic passages. A lot of his material is rather intriguing; I suggest listening to most of it rather than saying he's a tasteless shredder like most of the anti-shred people on here.

I actually don't mind shred, I just think his music is extremely boring, and I've listened to two of his albums (Rising Force and i forget what the other one was) I think that's enough for me judge whether or not I like his music. Don't assume that everyone expressing a popular opinion is hopping on the bandwagon, that's seriously one of the lamest arguments ever.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I actually don't mind shred, I just think his music is extremely boring, and I've listened to two of his albums (Rising Force and i forget what the other one was) I think that's enough for me judge whether or not I like his music. Don't assume that everyone expressing a popular opinion is hopping on the bandwagon, that's seriously one of the lamest arguments ever.

Indeed it is your opinion; however, you do have a rather large gap of knowledge if you've only listened to two of his albums. And yes, I can assume, since most of the ignorant people on here tend to claim similar arguments when clearly they've only heard Far beyond the Sun. Don't tell me what I can and cannot assume.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Quote by Dimebag Dave
Indeed it is your opinion; however, you do have a rather large gap of knowledge if you've only listened to two of his albums. And yes, I can assume, since most of the ignorant people on here tend to claim similar arguments when clearly they've only heard Far beyond the Sun. Don't tell me what I can and cannot assume.

Dude, if I don't like two of his albums, there's no way I'm going to waste time listening to any more of it, I know it's a difficult concept for fanboys to swallow, but generally if you think that one of the artists most recommended albums sucks, you're probably not going to like any of their other stuff.

Last.fm
Yngwie reminds me of a sports car that drives insanely fast but thats it. Everything else about it sucks big time donkey dick.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Dude, if I don't like two of his albums, there's no way I'm going to waste time listening to any more of it, I know it's a difficult concept for fanboys to swallow, but generally if you think that one of the artists most recommended albums sucks, you're probably not going to like any of their other stuff.

Like I said, a lot of his material is intriguing; but you refuse to listen to it. Hence you lack knowing what good material he has, making your comments on his music void. The endless cycle of ignorance continues.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
The people who appreciate Yngwie's music are those who look to his technique and recognize the little subtilities of his playing. People who don't look for these minute and subtle details only see mindless self-indulgent shredding. No one is wrong, they have different tastes. David Gilmour, for instance, and Yngwie Malmsteen both are two of the greatest electric guitarists ever to have lived. But you can't compare the two 'cause their motives and priorities for playing guitar are different. Emotion comes from the listener, not the musician.

And lol at the dude who said jazz and classical were slow forms of music.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
I'll get around to listening to Malmsteem when I've COMPLETELY exhausted the discographies of EVERY single other shredder and listened to their songs and learnt them on guitar.

So you Yngwie fans can expect me to give a **** sometime around the year 3012.

I'm not dissing his music.

I'm deliberately avoiding it in favour of Steve Vai.
Quote by Dimebag Dave
Like I said, a lot of his material is intriguing; but you refuse to listen to it. Hence you lack knowing what good material he has, making your comments on his music void. The endless cycle of ignorance continues.

Not really, I listened to enough to know what he's about, you're forwarding the fanboy argument that since I haven't listened to his entire discography I have no idea how good he is, this is a completely asinine argument that no one is going to take seriously, god fanboys piss me off so much.

Hey I have an idea why don't you recommend a track of his that you find to be his most interesting/best whatever, and I'll listen to it, since I'm apparently so ignorant.

Last.fm
Quote by Gunpowder

Playing with feeling comes from the heart, it has emotion, and every note is as carefully considered as the last one. Shredding can be done with emotion, like Mr. Vai..
Or it can be just a mindless sequence of scales, played up and back down, without caring what notes you play, as long as it's fast, like Mr. Malmsteen. Check out 3:58 how he decides to do the first solo part, and then fucks up all the emotion in the song, with his mindless shredding. (I must say, that I don't like the following solo by Vai either, Satch does a better job!)

So, yes, emotion CAN be put into fast playing, but you have to carefully consider what you play. Playing scales up and down as fast as you can isn't an option!

Cheers!
Quote by Dimebag Dave

This thread is about his performance in Denver, not his discography. Regardless of whether he has slower more melodic stuff in his discography(which i have listened to, and yes he does have it on his studio work), he failed to show hardly any of it in the said performance.
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Not really, I listened to enough to know what he's about, you're forwarding the fanboy argument that since I haven't listened to his entire discography I have no idea how good he is, this is a completely asinine argument that no one is going to take seriously, god fanboys piss me off so much.

Hey I have an idea why don't you recommend a track of his that you find to be his most interesting/best whatever, and I'll listen to it, since I'm apparently so ignorant.

Your original argument:

Quote by Kid_Thorazine

He doesn't play fast in all of his music. You're wrong.

I'm not forcing you to listen to him. If you don't like his music, by all means, don't listen to it. But making absurd comments on someones artistic ability is just a failure on your behalf. Anyone that uses the term "fanboy" is also a faggot from my perspective.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Page 1 of 2