hey guys !!!! i m learning to play the guitar and basically from the net . its been a year but my progress hasn been much so now i trying to take it in a focussed manner . i have a big doubt though , recently i started practising chromatic scales for speed , soon i shal start on the other scales like majors , minors and pentatonic ending with appregios..... what i want to know is if i should start this on an electric? would it actually help if i built these skills on an electric or should i build them on an acoustic first ( cos i own only an acoustic)........ please guide me
it doesn't really matter man

if you only have an acoustic right now, play them on acoustic. Electric guitars are just generally a little easier to play for speed.
yah i thought so too but i m not sure ... i thought it mite help cos i ll be learning to mute out all the noise if i use an electric , also maybe cos of all the videos i watch for inspiration and lessons ...thy are all always on electric guitars and look easy(till i try to play em on my acoustic!!!!!!then it feels insanely difficult)
Biuld them on your acoustic, your fingers will get stronger quickly. and with your comment about learning to mute out all the noise, i guess that is true, but with the acoustic you will learn to fret your notes better as you can really hear it when they ar'nt fretted well.
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
+1 on building on acoustic, although having an acoustic and an electric would be much better. I've been playing electric for years, but just got an acoustic a couple of weeks ago. I've been going over some stuff on acoustic, and I've noticed that it helps when I pick my electric up afterwards. My playings gotten much cleaner the past few weeks.
Quote by sheshank
hey guys !!!! i m learning to play the guitar and basically from the net . its been a year but my progress hasn been much so now i trying to take it in a focussed manner . i have a big doubt though , recently i started practising chromatic scales for speed , soon i shal start on the other scales like majors , minors and pentatonic ending with appregios..... what i want to know is if i should start this on an electric? would it actually help if i built these skills on an electric or should i build them on an acoustic first ( cos i own only an acoustic)........ please guide me

Practicing chromatic scales, or any other scales for that matter, does NOT help you build speed so you don't need to worry about that.

Speed is not a skill, it's a reflection of your skills - if you play accurately, in time, can synchronise your hands, have good finger dexterity and stamina and good fretboard knowledge then you will be able to play fast...the better those things are the faster you will be able to play. However, there's no such thing as practicing speed, however you can practice the things that govern it.

It doesn't really matter which guitar you do stuff on, in all honesty there's not a great advantage to be had from forcing yourself to play on an acoustic...just play whichever guitar you feel like.

As far as scales go, they're not for building speed - scales are a musical tool to help you play music. Now, most exercises will follow scale patterns simply because they'll sound more musical and will also help you get used to the sound of a particular scale. Those kinds of exercises will also help you with your picking accuracy and also fretboard knowledge if you've learned the scale itself rather than just patterns. However, there's very limited benefit in practicing straight scale runs, you can make far more productive exercises from them.

The chromatic exercise you've been practicing is a great warmup and it's also good for helping build finger independence and dexterity but that's all. Musically it's got next to no benefit and it teaches you very little in a practical sense. Also don't just paly it straight, make sure you mix up the fingering sequence to get the most benefit from it.

If you want to understand them then have a look at Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ few things are a bit vague, doing chromatics etc does help you build speed, providing you are doing it accurately and thinking about what you are doing. However doing chromatics everyday for the next year will make you amazing........at doing chromatics. You only get good at what you practice, practicing legato you get good at legato etc.

The speed will come from being accurate at what you are playing and you will gain more confidence, but you have to start somewhere and playing scales up and down, it may not be very musical but is a great way to learn to be more accurate when fretting and picking notes, is a great place to start.
ok!!! great feed back........ thanks !!i see wat u r saying when u say playing the scales wont help, why i really decided on this approach is cause i ve been playing since a year but i really didnt learn much musically ...as in .. i played a chord and then the next chord that followed in the song witjhout knowing why.... so recently i went on a theory reading spree an learnt a lot of stuff..... so i came to the conclusion that i need to improve in two sections
1)build strength and dexterity(hence chromatic) i.e. physical aspect of playing
2)get familiar with scale patterns etc so automatically my hands will be comforatble moving in those patterns
if i get thro this then i thought my speed wud ve def got better if not great .
plus chromatic scales helping me practise alternate picking also .... dunno if my approach is wrong......