I want to get an electric guitar but am strapped for cash.

Is it at all possible to run an electric guitar into a home theater amp and speakers? Its a very powerful system with a good amp and has four big speakers.

I was looking around for some sort of pre-amp to make this sound better and to be able to add distortion/effects and i came across THIS.

I assume I would need a splitter of some sort to make the mono sounds go to both channels - a mono out split to two RCA input jacks. Do you have any suggestions for this?

Will this work? and if so, how is it going to sound? I have no expectations of the worlds best sound here but I am basically looking for a way to produce acceptable sound very cheaply until i can afford a real amp setup

Any input/advice would be awesome

Matt
in a general sense
yes this will work (my first amp was a surround sound system)
as far as putting pedals into it, i probably wouldnt
especially distortion
you dont want to ruin a good sound system
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Thanks

I don't understand why distortion would ruin my system. I play metal loud though it basically all day and that is usually a heavily distorted sound
^^ well its your system
give it a shot
it wont be amazing tone but better than nothing
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
but seriously lol I don't want to ruin it. It just sounds like you know that distortion is bad for a home theater system and I wanted to understand why.

I'm keen to hear about your experiences with this. How exactly did you connect your guitar to your system when you used to do it? did you only play clean?
i only played clean
and i plugged into the mic input
the amplifier had reverb on it and an eq
so i tweaked that a bit

i never tried a distortion pedal in it cause i got an amp shortly after for my bday

but if it acts anything like car speakers
overdistorting/ over powering them can really **** them up

edit: your guitars signal is gonna be a different frequency than the music you listen to, and generally metal bands use a noisegate to cut down the distortion a bit
Glimsom wrote:
You may need to buy/make a cable to fit the jack, but otherwise it should be fine. My uncle did it, it sounds loud, for lack of a better word. but it'll definitely work as long as you have the proper cable(s)/jack(s).
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
long long time ago, my first "amp" was an old stereo system my parents had. I have no idea how I rigged it but it did beat the crap out of it, lol.

Maybe you should try this instead:

http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/

You parents (?) will love you for it and the sound great for $40 (in headphones of course).

I've never seen that behringer before so I wouldn't know.
^Nice idea.

If you're set on using your stereo system then you should understand that the speakers are not designed to amplify a guitar signal, so you may put some strain on the speakers, but it should be fine as long as you don't turn it up too loud. Distortion through the speakers should also be fine, except for the reason above.

This is because HiFi speakers are designed to amplify a wide frequency and a guitar's audio spectrum is quite narrow and concentrated. But don't turn it up and you won't do any damage, as far as I know.
Wow, this thread is full of misinterpreted information.

As long as the amplified frequency falls within the capacity of the speakers, and the power amp isn't putting too much power to them, there will be no problems at all.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Haha.
Ok, everybody stop listening to metal on thier stereos. Heavy guitars will ruin your systems!

Seriously, you'll be fine.
Last edited by 667 at Nov 20, 2008,