OK, so I really love my spector, But the EMG single coils are driving me f***ing nuts. They hum. A lot. And it bothers me. I know, they're single coils, and single coils hum, but I want to change that. So, I've been looking into ways of eliminating hum, other than noise gates or suppressors, which mess with your sound too much for my taste. I'm intrigued by the EHX hum-debugger. So, I was thinking about getting one and mounting it inside the bass. Then I realized, wait: instead of shelling out 120 for one of those, why don't I built my own and mount that inside it. Problem is, I don't know how the things work. It sounds like it might be a notch filter to me, but I don't know much about this kind of stuff and I can't find a schematic or anything anywhere.

So, a few questions:
1. Does anyone know how the pedal works?
2. If it is a notch filter, is that all I need to put in, or are there other necessary components as well?
3. How would I install it, whatever "it" happens to be?
4. Would an on/off switch be worth putting in?
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
these things have intrigued me as well. What it is supposed to do is filter out all ground loops, or anything related to grounding that causes buzz. I'm not sure exactly how they work, because i think they are passive. You have to remember that Single coils will always buzz. That's 60-Hz for you. People have been looking for single coils to stop humming for yeares. That's when the humbucker and noise gates came about. P90 and single coil buzz were too much for some people, and not hot enough. I dunno what to tell you. Order one from musiciansfriend and try it first, this might not be your solution..
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
I hate when people oversimplify a pedal build...

That said: I have never heard of that pedal. Doesn't sound overly simple or easy to build, either. Buuuuut I DO have a schem/layout for a "45-90Hz hum filter" that I'll give you if you are interested. It's a fairly simple build.
^That does sound good. Where could I get my hands on it?
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sorry to not be of help, but aren't EMGs supposed to be silent. Perhaps you could shield your guitar?
^ You probably only have experience with the humbuckers. Those are dead silent. Their J-bass pickups still get some hum. Less than most passive j's, but it's still there.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kaosfire
Does shielding eliminate single coil hum?

Not entirely, but it reduces it greatly
Quote by Invader Jim
I hate when people oversimplify a pedal build...

That said: I have never heard of that pedal. Doesn't sound overly simple or easy to build, either. Buuuuut I DO have a schem/layout for a "45-90Hz hum filter" that I'll give you if you are interested. It's a fairly simple build.

PM me too while its uploaded, ive needed a project, that i'll auctlly use. thanks
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by kugelspot
OK, so I really love my spector, But the EMG single coils are driving me f***ing nuts. They hum. A lot. And it bothers me. I know, they're single coils, and single coils hum, but I want to change that. So, I've been looking into ways of eliminating hum, other than noise gates or suppressors, which mess with your sound too much for my taste. I'm intrigued by the EHX hum-debugger. So, I was thinking about getting one and mounting it inside the bass. Then I realized, wait: instead of shelling out 120 for one of those, why don't I built my own and mount that inside it. Problem is, I don't know how the things work. It sounds like it might be a notch filter to me, but I don't know much about this kind of stuff and I can't find a schematic or anything anywhere.

So, a few questions:
1. Does anyone know how the pedal works?
2. If it is a notch filter, is that all I need to put in, or are there other necessary components as well?
3. How would I install it, whatever "it" happens to be?
4. Would an on/off switch be worth putting in?

1. No
2 N/A
3. You'd probably have to expand your cavity
4. No

Personally though, I don't rush for the biggest waste of money I see. I, crazy person I am, like saving money so I would get this.
^ I was going to build my own to save money... Still $10 is even better, though Invader Jim's pedal sounds good too, you really need to get on uploading it, dude. Anyway, where would I put the shielding? there's no pick guard or any other convenient place to mount it. In fact, I don't think I could put it under the pickups without completely disassembling the body.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
so could you PM me the schematic?
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Me 3!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Why not just replace the pickups. Get real EMGs. EMG make very low noise active pickups, like with a battery in there and hum simply never happens.

I know EMG has licensed and possibly designed some lower end pickups to be branded with their name. Never heard any good of them.

Put something serious in there and forget it.
here it is:

should save jim from sending it out everywhere
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
^ Haha it happens, we all have some face palm moments, i've had plenty myself.
plus last time i checked, you always have your photobucket full, so i dont mind, i barely have any pictures in mine
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
So Jim, can you post a link to the schematic for us?
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
You mean the one Bobbert posted? Why? It's right there.

I forgot the site it was on. Might have been GGG. I think I remember MSPainting the watermark out of it, and it looks like the GGG style.
Quote by Ronsonic
Why not just replace the pickups. Get real EMGs. EMG make very low noise active pickups, like with a battery in there and hum simply never happens.

I know EMG has licensed and possibly designed some lower end pickups to be branded with their name. Never heard any good of them.

Put something serious in there and forget it.

They are real EMGs. Again, I remind you all that they are J-bass pickups, ie single coils. single coils hum, and it's damn hard to get rid of the hum in true single coils without

a. reverse winding one of the pickups and keeping them at the exact same level
or
b. some kind of electronics mod pedal, etc.

Quote by Invader Jim
You mean the one Bobbert posted? Why? It's right there.

I feel like an idiot. I missed the last two posts on the first page... this is embarrassing...

Anyway, thanks for the schem !
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kaosfire
Does shielding eliminate single coil hum?

It does get rid of a fair bit, but cause EMGs are active they do not need shielding.