Hi,
I am doing design tech at school this year and i'm making a guitar. But the design project has to be innovative. So what I decided to do was make a a device that lets you control a digitech whammy (or any other midi controllable pedal) with a whammy bar. what do you think of this idea?
any feedback would be appreciated.
: Ibanez RG5xx & up club

Ibanez RG570 signed by Paul Gilbert

Dunlop Crybaby 535q

Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100 combo

Monterey Strat copy

Carvin V3 combo

Profile Stratocaster
Cool, but don't do it with a whammy pedal - why digitalise the effect that you're already making with the bar?

It might be better to do it with a Wah effect or something, but then you'd still be adjusting pitch with the bar, so all in all, maybe a seperate system not attached to the bridge would be appropriate.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. The thing I design has to "solve a problem" so i'm saying in the portfolio that controlling a whammy pedal with a whammy bar gives you the control and radical changes of pitch of a floating trem with the simplicty and sustain of a fixed bridge.

Dunlop Crybaby 535q

Monterey Strat copy

Carvin V3 combo

Profile Stratocaster
Quote by drac-taclar
Thats exactly what I was thinking. The thing I design has to "solve a problem" so i'm saying in the portfolio that controlling a whammy pedal with a whammy bar gives you the control and radical changes of pitch of a floating trem with the simplicty and sustain of a fixed bridge.

so you mean a fixed bridge guitar that has a lever (that isn't actually a whammy bar) connected to a pot which functions the same as the footpedal on the whammy?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
so you mean a fixed bridge guitar that has a lever (that isn't actually a whammy bar) connected to a pot which functions the same as the footpedal on the whammy?

If he does, (I think so), then there will still need to be a spring set-up to ensure that the bar returns to the neutral position, right? I may get shot down for even suggesting this, but using the mechanical system from the Rock Band guitar that makes it return to neutral (I've never taken apart one of the controllers, dunno how they work; I assumed two springs pointed down through the body at even levels to ensure return to neutral) might be a good idea to save effort in developing a spring system of your own.
Quote by Mazzakazza
If he does, (I think so), then there will still need to be a spring set-up to ensure that the bar returns to the neutral position, right? I may get shot down for even suggesting this, but using the mechanical system from the Rock Band guitar that makes it return to neutral (I've never taken apart one of the controllers, dunno how they work; I assumed two springs pointed down through the body at even levels to ensure return to neutral) might be a good idea to save effort in developing a spring system of your own.

but the pedal doesn't return to where it is and he's also got to address the fact that the whammy only goes up or down, not both on the one setting (or can this be changed with the midi input thing?) and even when he's going up in pitch he'll be depressing the bar.

it'll be unatural for most players.

I'm not trying to **** on the idea I'm just explaining where the problems will be.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Ah, I see what you're saying now, i didn't realise at first.

TS, you got any ideas for that?
Maybe adding a distortion switch to the guitar?
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Thanks heaps for all the responses. I'm gonna see if it's possible to mod the pedal so it can go both ways. And with the springs, it will return the pot to the neutral position. If i can't mod the pedal, I might even look into using a one way spring hinge system similar to those used in mouse traps. I could even put two pots in, spinning in opposite directions and you switch between which one you use, depending on whether you want to make the pitch higher or lower.

Dunlop Crybaby 535q

Monterey Strat copy

Carvin V3 combo

Profile Stratocaster