The American made is more expensive, right? Is it also better? Why shouldn't I buy a Mexican made Fender Jazz Bass?
New track on soundcloud.com/ahlers or on my profile.
Feedback much appreciated.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Hi my name is Chen im 16 years old from Israel.
I love playing Guitar and writing if I have the time[...]

As of now I am banned because of racism against albinos
Quote by IndianRockStar
The American is better. Sounds better, feels better. Better neck support, better QC, many reasons.

+1

The Mexicans are pretty much the low level Fender stuff, however some of the more medium range Mexican stuff is pretty damn good!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
I've got a Mexican one but I'm going to use it mainly to experiment with. Change the pickups, neck, ... But overall I like it.
Quote by Jimmy94

"I like dark jazz like OPETH"
"you should listen to BETWEEN THE BURIED IN ME"
"that is not real jazz"
"LOL R U KIDDING ME HNNNNGGGG"
Sure, it get what you're saying. But I mean.. it's still a Fender. It's still a pretty good bass, right? Take this one, for example:

http://www.thomann.de/dk/fender_mex_deluxe_jazz_vw.htm

Is this a good way to spend 722,- Euros (approx. 900 USD)?

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

I have a Mexican and it's good, not as good as the American but if you're tight on cash then it's a good pick.
The American is better. Always buy the best that you can afford! Buy once, cry once.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by Ahlers
Sure, it get what you're saying. But I mean.. it's still a Fender. It's still a pretty good bass, right? Take this one, for example:

It's a good bass, but I wouldn't want it for $900 USD. After all I see them on eBay all the time for $300-$500. It's always amazing to me just how expensive Fender basses are in most of Europe. In the states, you can pick up MIM Fenders for really cheap most of the time (around $350 on average).
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Ahlers

hmm. yes. but if you can afford it's American Deluxe counterpart, you will be very, very well off.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
American for sure. They don't make many quality products in America, but guitars are one of them
But in what way is the American made better? And have you actually tried both types, or do you just love the American Fender because you are Americans?

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

I love my MIM P-bass, but after going to a shop and playing an MIA Precision, mine seriously feels looks, feels, and sounds like a toy (At least before I modded it). Necks better, finish is better, electronics are better, bridge is better, pick-ups are better, tuners are better. It's just better.
The American bass is better in absolutely every way, period. Every element is better on the American. Every one. There's nothing that's the same or better on the Mexican. The one you showed was the deluxe one with active electronics and better pickups, but the deluxe version of the American trumps it even more.

Here's an itemized list:
The pickups are better on the MIA than the Standard MIM
The finish is better on the MIA than the Standard MIM
The neck is better on the MIA than the Standard MIM, with graphite support
The wood cuts are better on the MIA than the Standard MIM
The hardware is better on the MIA than the Standard MIM

We good?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I'm not American and I agree 100% with Fitz, so it's nothing to do with patriotism.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
American is definately better, and it has nothing to do with us being from America.

American standards are hand made at Fender's own factory here in the US, the Mexicans are made in factories in (Shocker!) Mexico using cheaper woods, hardware, and electronics.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
American is definately better, and it has nothing to do with us being from America.

American standards are hand made at Fender's own factory here in the US, the Mexicans are made in factories in (Shocker!) Mexico using cheaper woods, hardware, and electronics.

as a citizen of both lands, I declare that the American is better.

but, I will say this, if you don't want to shell out the extra, an MIM is still pretty damn good.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Ahlers
The American made is more expensive, right? Is it also better? Why shouldn't I buy a Mexican made Fender Jazz Bass?

You shouldn't buy a Mexican if you have enough money to buy an American. Theres nothing wrong with MIMs, there is just more right with MIAs
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by DeltaFunk

Actually, it's not just some random Mexican factory; it's a specific Fender factory in Ensenada owned by Fender. Most of the components are actually cut in America (except the electronics) and are sent to the Ensenada plant for construction and finishing.

Lakland and Gallien-Krueger are very similar with their plants in Korea and China, respectively. The overseas plants are company-owned and overseen, and made to the same specs as the US product. The only differences are price-point and slightly wider tolerances with fit and finish.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Japan has it's own Fender plant, Fender Japan is almost it's own entity.

But I will say that MD88's missing a huge point - the quality of wood that's sent to Mexico is significantly lesser than the American instruments. Yeah, it's alder or ash, but the amount of pieces and amount of figuring is of significantly less quality. It's not as simple as shipping American parts to Mexico to be assembled on the cheap. Just look at a trans finish on an alder MIM instrument. Same thing goes with the quality of the tuners, nut, etc.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Japan has it's own Fender plant, Fender Japan is almost it's own entity.

But I will say that MD88's missing a huge point - the quality of wood that's sent to Mexico is significantly lesser than the American instruments. Yeah, it's alder or ash, but the amount of pieces and amount of figuring is of significantly less quality. It's not as simple as shipping American parts to Mexico to be assembled on the cheap. Just look at a trans finish on an alder MIM instrument. Same thing goes with the quality of the tuners, nut, etc.

Well, on the MIM Standards it's not even alder or ash- it's poplar. I know the woods aren't as nice on the MIM instruments, and the finishes definately aren't as good. I've owned several MIM basses, a MIM guitar, and a MIA Precision, and I must say the Precision soundly beat every one of them in quality and construction department.
Poplar? Really? Specs sheets say Alder.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Poplar can't be too bad, allegedly it was good enough to nail to Jesus to a plank of it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the MIM's are Alder, even some of the Squiers use Alder.
Quote by Ahlers
But in what way is the American made better? And have you actually tried both types, or do you just love the American Fender because you are Americans?

The main reason the American instruments are better is because of better wage laws. Since the workers in the US are being paid as much as they are, the instruments are of a MUCh higher quality. You will not hear of many professional musicains who use equipment that isn't made in America or Japan.
Quote by thefitz
Poplar? Really? Specs sheets say Alder.

Yup, mine's alder.

I bought mine cause at the store I went to it was half the price of the MIA and I only had around a 500$ price range. I can't see why anyone would opt for a MIM over an MIA for any reason other than money.

Quote by Anjohl
You will not hear of many professional musicains who use equipment that isn't made in America or Japan.

You can't limit yourself to America and Japan, pretty much any developed country= a good instrument.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
Last edited by dingmydong at Nov 21, 2008,
Quote by Captain Insano
Poplar can't be too bad, allegedly it was good enough to nail to Jesus to a plank of it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the MIM's are Alder, even some of the Squiers use Alder.

Alder... wasn't he the first drummer of Guns N' Roses? And now Fender's making guitars out of him... poor guy.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Alder... wasn't he the first drummer of Guns N' Roses? And now Fender's making guitars out of him... poor guy.

Har har.

They may have upgraded to alder for the MIM's; I have no idea. I bought my MIM Jazz 4-string brand new back in 2004. The sticker on the pickguard said "Poplar body", the Fender website said poplar, Musician's Friend said poplar.... but if they upgraded to alder, good for them!

Alder and poplar sound very, very similar. The only differences are that poplar is slightly heavier, and tends to have nasty greenish streaks in it. It also costs a lot less.
Mine's a 2006 and it has an alder body, its a pretty light bass altogether tbh.

MIM shouldn't be written off. Fender Standard series basses are the workhorse of thousands and thousands of bands. They work well, feel pretty good, sound alright (Jazz bass' bridge pup is a little nasal) and theyre cheap enough so if you lose/get robbed/break the neck, it doesn't cost the earth to replace.

I would never tour with a £1000 bass. Far too risky! Especially when all it takes is someone to pick up your case and walk off. £1000 of amplification is a bit harder to rob

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Not bringing out a nice bass to gigs for that reason is like not bringing your hot and kinky girlfriend out on a date because other guys might hit on her.

I proudly bring my bass, sometimes basses to gigs. But then again, I'm not too worried about people stealing it from me. I think there's a good enough level of respect with local bands, and besides, if anybody tried something I'd suck the spinal fluid out of their left eye socket.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Ywah, i know what you mean. You want to show off your nice bird. In my home town, then yeah, i'd bring her out.

but around the country, where noone really knows you and the other bands might not like you, then no. I cantr afford £400 yet allone £800-£1000

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9