Hello.

Essentially I'm looking for advice. Abit about me, I'm not the best player, have been playing electric on and off for 5 years now (haven't played for a while though, like 3 months or so) and am looking to get into acoustic playing.

The dilemna is which? I've always loved the sound of classical guitar and nylons in general, but I also really love folk and other soft music which would warrant a steel string. I can only really buy one atm until I move and would like one where alot of practice will tender some efficency at a reasonably quick pace (After 5 years my fingers are hardly useless after all)

Ideally something to accompany soft singing.

Any suggestions?
I like steel strings much more than nylon, and I would also recommend them to you since you've played electric for 5 years
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Thats a tough one for me....I play both folk guitar and classical guitar, and of course I use a steel for folk and a nylon for classical. Not knowing how well you play I would recommend the steel.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
I'd say steel purely based on your wish to progress relatively quick in the genre.
On the other hand, nylon is more different from electric than steel.
It's a tough choice, but based on ur wishes, take steelstring
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
well, in my experience, steel strings are alot harder, meaning they don't vibrate that much, while nylons vibrate alot and are alot softer, thus they are harder to play, so for you, i recommend a steel string guitar, especially if you are used to play electric, steel will be the easyest to get use to.

I played classical guitar for about 6 years, before i began playing electric, and i have gotten more used to the electric, so it is easyer for me to do finger picking on the electric than on the classical.. even though i have only played electric for about 1½ year..
Steel is usually the best choice. I only use my nylon stringed when I play my Bossa, Jazz and Classical. If you're not going too much for those styles, buy a steel string.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Classical Nylon string guitar is really well-suited to fingerpicking and the wider string spacing is quite different than a standard guitar's. I'd go for the steel-string accoustic first as it's directly compatible with your electric.
Moving on.....
Thanks guys. Hmm interesting, what you say about the nylon I mean, is it really difficult to get a sound out of it?

Iam interested in finger picking too, ala Jethro Tull and some acoustic version of Blind Guardian songs and such.

Hmmm it gets harder to choose. :S
Quote by Sarissa
Thanks guys. Hmm interesting, what you say about the nylon I mean, is it really difficult to get a sound out of it?

Iam interested in finger picking too, ala Jethro Tull and some acoustic version of Blind Guardian songs and such.

Judging from this I would say steel strings, but you should try out both and then decide.
Ah it's the lack of trying that's the problem, no music store near here and I'm not able to travel much atm.

I played some acoustic before, the problem wasn't so much with the neck but with the sheer size of the body. Hmm...

EDIT: I'm guessing strumming chords on one is completely out?
Last edited by Sarissa at Nov 20, 2008,
I was in the same place you were a while ago. Trust me, go steel.
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
Quote by Sarissa
Ah it's the lack of trying that's the problem, no music store near here and I'm not able to travel much atm.

I played some acoustic before, the problem wasn't so much with the neck but with the sheer size of the body. Hmm...

EDIT: I'm guessing strumming chords on one is completely out?

On strumming: not by any means. Few things sound as lively and gorgeous as a nicely strummed acoustic. The size might be daunting at first but you'll get used to it.
unless you really want to try your hand at classical, steel. most contemporary music has a fuller sound and better ring on steel.
Quote by Sarissa

It sounds to me like you're looking for something in between steel-string folk and classical, based upon your interest in Jethro Tull. Ian Anderson gets his sound with a small-bodied steel string...I believe his choice axe is a OO-style Martin (check out the Ian Anderson Signature Martin for a take on this). He also plays most of his stuff in DADGAD, although he capos up to the 3rd or 4th fret, so I guess that would make the tuning...uhhh...you work it out.

He's emulating a song-style that's kind of pre-classical...more like old British Isles folk/minstrel-type stuff. I'm a big fan of his, and I have several of his pieces in my live acoustic repertoire. If you haven't heard it, check out "The Secret Language of Birds" solo album by Ian Anderson...sweet!

Also, his style is actually more based in playing with a flat-pick...he does some hybrid pick-and-fingers stuff, but mostly he just plays what are normally regarded as fingerstyle patterns with a flatpick...lot's of cross-picking involved, and he's fookin brilliant at it!
maxtheaxe brings up a good point. Accoustic's need not have jumbo bodies! The Double O he mentions is what they call a parlour sized body I think.
Moving on.....
I am venezuelan and here playing steel string is a rarity. For latin stuff nylon is better
Ruinas Circulares
Parlours look awesome.

Also, dear god forgive me, Classical and Flamenco are really looking cool too...

Can't I just play in minor harmonic on a steel string and try to look cool? :S