Well me and my friends were just jaming around on an a minor blues progression and they were all soloing around the whole neck and stuff but i seem to be pretty much stuck in a a minor pentatonic position. So i was wondering if i should learn all the pentatonic and what other scales could i learn to use improvise over this progression? also whats a good jazz progression to practice over and what scales should i use there?
Learn whatever takes your fancy man. Try and learn the whole neck but ideally try and work out how each "box" is linked - you have six strings and 2/3 notes per string, in each "box" there's gonna be a lot of repeated notes and octave intervals between "boxes". Once you got that figured out it's really easy to play the whole neck.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Dean Performer DSE
Vox AD30VT
Line 6 Toneport UX1
maybe try learning every position of the pentatonic then try soloing both across the strings and up and down the neck, best to start on just a couple of strings at a time douing it this way. its quite hard to explain because it mostly comes from experience but you should try to follow where you are in terms of the scale (root note, 5th etc) rather than just remembering what frets and shapes you use to play that scale
for the blues stuff, lewiji nailed it. practice all the patterns. first work on playing between pattern 1 and 2. then pattern 2 and 3. etc, until you can flow between all of them fluidly. in terms of other scales, a natural minor, mixed with blues is my favorite sound for a minor blues progession. if you can do it right, itll sound quite tasty.

you would need to be more specific in terms of a good "jazz" progression. theres so much too that term, its impossible to just give you a "jazz" progression. take some tunes out of the real book. jazz is a whole different world than blues. of course there are scales to play- most of the modes, altered dominant etc, and those come with practice. but the jazz to me, is more about seeing the chords. when i solo in a jazz context, i concentrate on arpeggios, chord tones, and chromatic approaches to these. be more specific with what you'd like to do in terms of jazz, and maybe i can help you
"These are the words you wish you wrote down. This is the way you wish your voice sounds; Handsome and smart. My toungue's the only muscle on my body that works harder than my heart"
Learn the notes on the fretboard.
+
Learn the notes of the scale.
+
Play said notes of scale on said notes on fretboard.
=
Win.

Rule of thumb, if the progression is minor, you can use just about any scale with a b3 (If you want to go more in depth on what scales to use, ask away ). Learn which ones sound best to you by practicing and hearing yourself
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Nov 20, 2008,
Learn all the positions and link them. The best way to link them is learn the scales up and down each single string. Then on 2 adjacent strings. 3 adjacent strings etc. Practice going up and down the scales in different sequences. Also its a good idea to practice a new key every day. This way you just don't get effortless playing the A minor pentatonic then get totally lost when it comes to playing in any other key. Also learn the blues scale(minor pentatonic with an added b5)
Andy
As far as jazz is concerned it would be a good diea for you to learn the major scale and its modes. Just learn it all over the neck in the same way as the minor pentatonic and then learn about the modes of the major scale.
Andy
I played with the CRAZIEST blues guitarist last night, absolutly insane. Knew nothing about theory, it was so hard to play with him, he was hands down amazing though.. just blew my mind how good he could be without even knowing the names of the chords he was hitting
Generic improv repost:
First off, improve your phrasing.

Try to phrase yourself like a singer. Think of it as if you're singing with your guitar. Listen to some singing melodies and try to copy it on your guitar.

Next learn 2 or 3 shapes from a pentatonic scale. Try to become good at moving between each shape and try to be able to play 4 or 5 notes on the same string. This will help your phrasing majorly.

When you get good, play over some backing tracks. You should be able to hear the chord progression and hear which notes are stressed (first beat of every bar). On these stressed notes, try to play chord tones of the chord playing.

Also, learn your theory.

You shouldnt be afraid to use other guys licks (like when uncreativity hits), but you shouldn't ever overuse licks. It's unoriginal, cheap and improvisation sounds so much better.

So i was wondering if i should learn all the pentatonic and what other scales could i learn to use improvise over this progression?
Pentatonics are fine. If you want some more spice in it, add some random out of scale notes, just make sure you hit something consonant on the first beat of every bar and try to resolve on something consonant. After a while you'll find some nice out of scale notes.
also whats a good jazz progression to practice over
The most well known jazz progression is a ii-V7-I. Right after that is Iadd13 - vi (or VI7) - ii7 - V7. Both these progressions are used alot in jazz, usually with a couple of key changes.

The best jazz progressions though are alot more complicated and original than this though. Giant steps is probably the most famous bebop jazz progressions, maybe you should take a look at the sheet music to it?

what scales should i use there?
The thing about jazz and improvising is that most jazz guys play something different and specific for each chord. This is called playing the changes. Usually minor modes are played over minor chords, major modes over major chords, dominant modes (superlocrian, mixolydian and so on) over dominant chords and diminished modes over diminshed chords. It's sort of complicated and advanced, but heres a good thread on it: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=997405