My buddy who is going to play bass in my band plays guitar but we are both new to bass. How big of an amp will he need to play in a band setting, mostly practices cause when we get a gig we can mic all amps.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Id go 50w at least really. You always crank it when rehearsing, and it depends on how hard your drummer smacks his kit
by the way, don't mic bass amps, run direct from the line out, you get a better sound

edit: and NEVER run a bass through a guitar amp, you'll blow it
Quote by viper_mike
by the way, don't mic bass amps, run direct from the line out, you get a better sound

edit: and NEVER run a bass through a guitar amp, you'll blow it

not always.

ive never blown my amp with a bass.

i mean yeah your right theres always a chance
you could
you wont blow the amp, you will blow the speaker. and at low volume that will never happen.
Yea i knew not to run it trough a guitar amp, thanks for the tip about running line out
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

What the hell?

Depending on the size of the venue, you could get away with 160 for a small venue, but 300 watts is pretty much the golden number.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Ok so since playing bass through a guitar amp would blow the speaker, could you run a guitar amp as a head through a bass cab and have that work?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

That would work yes. It ight not sound geat but many people run epiphone valve juniors i think through bass cabs. But they do mod them a bit.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
mod them so they have more bass and less treble and mids? would an eq such as the fish and chips work to reduce treble and mids and increase bass?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by basspunk709
you could probably get away with like...anything between
25 and 50 watts.

What?

I've never managed to hear myself over my old drummer with anything less that 100 watts. I'd personally suggest 150 watts or more for the best sound over a drummer.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by basspunk709
you could probably get away with like...anything between
25 and 50 watts.

No

Quote by basspunk709
you could also get away with just running the bass through your buddys guitar amp

And another no...

To have a safe amount with decent head room you need a 250 Watt BASS amp atleast
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!