Not sure if this is the right forum but anyway,

My band is looking at an uncoming show in the U.S, and I have been trying to find out what sort of permits (work permit, visa) that we would need to get over the border. Everywhere I have searched just brought me in a circle, and couldn't find anything that really explained it to me. Anyone done this before and have some info for me?
I know here in America if you need a work permit to cross the border you have to go the courthouse and speak with someone. I would say that is the place for you too start though. Just explain the situation to someone there and I'm sure that you will get sent in the right directions. Assuming of course that Canada has courts and courthouses. Anyways good luck with it man, I hope it works our for you.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Quote by H_ngm_n
I know here in America if you need a work permit to cross the border you have to go the courthouse and speak with someone. I would say that is the place for you too start though. Just explain the situation to someone there and I'm sure that you will get sent in the right directions. Assuming of course that Canada has courts and courthouses. Anyways good luck with it man, I hope it works our for you.

Yeah, what this guy said.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by H_ngm_n

Canadian-American Relations take another huge step back
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Canadian-American Relations take another huge step back

Now that's funny I thought the same thing when I read it.

On a side note, would you need anything just to come over here and play once or twice? I don't need anything but a friendly nod to the border agent when going into Canada- how would they know what you are doing?
In general terms, you need a visa to work in the US. If you are even playing one or two shows.... you are working. You need a visa. How will they know? Well.... when they see a van load of people with instruments going over.... what do you think they'll assume? Lying will only make things worse. Especially if you get the wrong border patrol.

In general terms, visas need to be arranged well in advance. There is another kind of permit that you can get too, and I don't know the particulars, but it costs over a grand. Better have more than one or two little gigs.

Your best place to start will be with you local AFM branch. The musicians' union has all the info you need, along with resources to help you get all your paperwork in order, and even, I believe, can get you priority placement for your application.

http://www.afm.org/departments/canadian-office

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by H_ngm_n

*facepalm*
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Yeah, we have courthouses here. They're real architectural wonders.... imagine one igloo piggy-backing on another.... like a double-decker snow fort. We use new electricity technology to keep the polar bears out.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Except Global Warming is slowly melting our courthouses and our capital building, so we are looking for was to increase tourisim so we can afford to put a glass dome over our buildings
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Yeah.... if the hockey rinks all melt, our economy would crumble. We'd be the Ethiopia of the north.

CT

Once I went on a cruise and every night for supper, we would eat with this American family. They figured out that we live by a lake, and the woman seriously asked me if it gets warm enough in the summer to swim in it.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Your climate in Canada isn't all that different from what we have here in Minnesota.
On topic, you will need to recieve a work permit if you are getting paid for the shows.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Oh God I was waiting for someone to mention igloo's and polar bears.

Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by lbj273
Your climate in Canada isn't all that different from what we have here in Minnesota.
On topic, you will need to recieve a work permit if you are getting paid for the shows.

lol exactly. The majority of Canadians live by the border so most of us experience the same weather as many americans.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
Oh yeah? But in the summer, it is 91 degrees in Buffalo, but only 32 in Toronto!!

CT

You know, you can always work under the table. Really, here in WV all local place pay cash and take no taxes. Yeah that's illegal, I guess living here all of my life has given me a "don't care" attitude.
It's crossing the border that will get you hung up.

*pulls up to border patrol with van load of gear and greasy looking young guys*

".... and the purpose of your visit gentlemen?"

"Uh.... shopping...."

"Shopping?"

"Yeah... what he said...."

"Uhh.... step out of the car, please, guys....."

CT