hi.
when u are making a demo how many songs should u include in the demo? if your average song is 4 mins lets say.
and u just want to send this demo to various record labels
Three best songs, if your sending them to record labels, put your best first and make sure lyrics start within 30 seconds, no long slow intros.

EDIT: Also if your band has some diverse songs put some of the different songs on there too, to show how wide a market you can appeal to.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Last edited by Tenacious D'er at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by Tenacious D'er
Three best songs, if your sending them to record labels, put your best first and make sure lyrics start within 30 seconds, no long slow intros.

EDIT: Also if your band has some diverse songs put some of the different songs on there too, to show how wide a market you can appeal to.

+1
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
Roses Are Red
Violets Are Blue
I'LL F*CK YOU WITH A RAKE!

God I love the demotivationals thread...
^^ Most record companies don't accept demos anymore actually. Most of their signings come from word of mouth from other bands on the label or shows like the X Factor.

It's getting increasingly hard to get ones foot in the door =|
Generally true.

A few basic points, though....
1. Three songs max. If they want more, they'll ask. Statistically, they'll listen to the first 10-20 seconds and then chuck it. (note.... that's how long you have to hook them in, so get right to the point in your songs!) You could have 100 songs on it. They won't get spun.
2. DON'T show them that you can do metal, country, funk, etc. Give them what you do best. They need to know where to put you in their marketing framework if they are going to invest in you. Save your diversity for later.
3. Get a name and number of the person at the label that you're going to send it to. First, it will add a personal touch. Second, it will let you know whether or not they'll accept unsolicited material. You might find that you need the help of a well-known reputable manager, entertainment lawyer, agent, etc. in order to get them to receive it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.