ok so i got the crate v33 head in the mail today and plugged it into my marshall half stack and played around with some of the settings and here is what i think of it.

CLEAN CHANNEL:
the clean channel is actually really nice. it's quiet and has verry little hum. it has a kind of voxish tone, like and ac30 with a little more punch.

OVERDRIVE:
not so good, the overdrive channel is really thick and very muddy and with the shared eq it's hard to get a good sound from it when switching channels on the fly.

EQ SECTION:
i find the treble to be a bit much when it is past 3 or even 4 at the most.
the middle control is very useful it adds allot of meat to the over all sound.
the bass is a bit much especially through a 4x12 cab, it adds alot of bass to quick. id say past 3 it starts to rumble.

PRESENCE BUTON
this adds allot of upper treble frequency it can get a little ice picky in the ears when you have it on.

BOOST:
this adds way WAY more punch when you need to cut through for a solo or bump you volume up. it adds a nice upper mid when engaged.

REVERB:
the reverb on this amp can get really thick past 3 or 4. it starts to become muddy past 5.

i would suggest you buy new tubes if you own this amp because the stock sovtek's suck balls. they have absolutely no life in them, the response is horrible. i highly recommend a matched set of jj el84's and tung-sol 12ax7's or mullard 12ax7's. it will add alot of life into this amp.

fell free to add anything i missed. or ask a question about it.
Cool, but have you replaced the tubes yet?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
no i have not. im ordering them today. my friend has the same amp and he replaces all the tubes with what i recommended above. it was like a night and day difference.
^rlly?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
try these settings:
clean - wherever
gain - 7
treble - 4.5
mid - 6.5
bass - 5
od level - not quiet!
presence and boost - off

those are what i use with my palomino, and the overdrive really opens up when it's turned up. you're right that the presence makes the amp a bit harsh. also try putting the od level on 10, and adjust your volume with the gain control. let me know what you think. also, i agree that new tubes make a HUGE difference insound
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
ok so i got the crate v33 head in the mail today and plugged it into my marshall half stack and played around with some of the settings and here is what i think of it.

CLEAN CHANNEL:
the clean channel is actually really nice. it's quiet and has verry little hum. it has a kind of voxish tone, like and ac30 with a little more punch.

OVERDRIVE:
not so good, the overdrive channel is really thick and very muddy and with the shared eq it's hard to get a good sound from it when switching channels on the fly.

EQ SECTION:
i find the treble to be a bit much when it is past 3 or even 4 at the most.
the middle control is very useful it adds allot of meat to the over all sound.
the bass is a bit much especially through a 4x12 cab, it adds alot of bass to quick. id say past 3 it starts to rumble.

PRESENCE BUTON
this adds allot of upper treble frequency it can get a little ice picky in the ears when you have it on.

BOOST:
this adds way WAY more punch when you need to cut through for a solo or bump you volume up. it adds a nice upper mid when engaged.

REVERB:
the reverb on this amp can get really thick past 3 or 4. it starts to become muddy past 5.

i would suggest you buy new tubes if you own this amp because the stock sovtek's suck balls. they have absolutely no life in them, the response is horrible. i highly recommend a matched set of jj el84's and tung-sol 12ax7's or mullard 12ax7's. it will add alot of life into this amp.

fell free to add anything i missed. or ask a question about it.

What speakers in the cab?

On the Clean channel: Yes, it is very, very voxish, but a lot brighter. Hard to tame that epic top end.

On the overdrive channel: I actually like it a great deal more than the clean because of it's darker voicing. Saying it's not good because it's 'muddy' (what the hell does that even mean?) is just saying you don't like the voicing. I don't think you'd like an Orange OR80 if you don't like darker voicings.

This is what I'm currently running channel two on: Gain at 5, master at 1, treble at 8 middle at ten, bass on three, boost on, presence on, no reverb, boosted with an OD.

Killer blues toanez.

The stock tubes are fine, putting new ones in will just make things clearer a bit. Not as big a difference as using good speakers, sorry.

Use some greenbacks or CL80's or CL70's. Or other similarly voiced speakers.

I personally do not use channel switching EVER, so the shared eq is not a problem for me.
i have celestion heritage g12's in my marshall 4x12 and yes good speakers help to tame some of that treble but remember speakers are only as good as sound being supplied to them.
And tone is subjective.