alright i have a 1966 SG and am getting a new amp. not quite sure but somthing with tubes this time. my question is what pickups should i get i want to replace both humbuckers. i play everything from system of a down to clean as a whistle. what i really want is somthing that can make distortion sound great on some high notes like the intro to sweet child o mine. stock pups right now get real grungy.
(will take tips on the amp too. under 500 usd please)
also how do i remove the pots without damaging my finish? i know there is a nut under the knob but i cant get the knob off. i tried pulling.
1966 SG is REAAAAAAAALLY Vague.
I presume its the Epiphone '1966' SG.

Don't waste your money on pickups until you get a decent amp, and wait a while after that, its not worth the investment for something so minor to your tone.

I can't be arsed looking at US dollar prices but look at used Marshall JCM 800's and Orange Tiny Terrors.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
1966 SG is REAAAAAAAALLY Vague.
I presume its the Epiphone '1966' SG.

Don't waste your money on pickups until you get a decent amp, and wait a while after that, its not worth the investment for something so minor to your tone.

I can't be arsed looking at US dollar prices but look at used Marshall JCM 800's and Orange Tiny Terrors.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-JCM800-2203-Vintage-Series-100W-Tube-Head-101875854-i1145877.gc

as you can see usd is not worth much anymore. 2,200.00 lol tad more than 500 ill keep looking.
Thats why I said used....

E-Married to Funny_Page
Bare Knuckle Pickups are amazing. Oh, and they'll nail the sweet child o mine tone - they're scatter wound so they're toppy like that without sacrificing fullness. For Slash'd tone, try the Stormy Monday set. For something more versatile that'll get you heavy as well as bluesy, try something from the "vintage hot" range - probably the Black Dog, although the VHII does the Brown Sound thing beautifully and the Abraxas humbucker is gorgeously smooth.
If you can't stretch that far, try the Duncan JB and Jazz combination. Not only does the Jazz give great cleans and the JB nail a great classic rock tone, but you find that combination a lot - even on Jackson guitars. It'll definitely do your metal needs, then.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Thats why I said used....

If you can find me a JCM 800 for 500 bucks PLEASE let me know!
I would recommend trying your amp before you buy pickups. Only buy new ones if you still don't like your tone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I paid £251 for mine

£251 = $371.105

Simple.

E-Married to Funny_Page
if you are getting a jcm800 just becareful about getting one that's has it's transformer blown or about to die.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
The thing about that 'sweet child o mine' tone is it has absolutely nothing to do with the pickups. Slash uses Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups because they're about a slow-output and tonally vapid as you can get, since he likes to get all of his tone from the amp. That's why he can play a Les Paul and a Mockingbird and they'll sound exactly the same - all the tone is in the amp.

I would advise check your new amp, see how that sounds. Chance are so long as you get a medium-gain tube amp (Marshall and Orange would be the best choices for this), you're going to get the tones you want.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
what would be the cheapest tube marshall head that isnt crap? im assuming any tube from them is not crap though. mg cough cough
Quote by yanko693
also how do i remove the pots without damaging my finish? i know there is a nut under the knob but i cant get the knob off. i tried pulling.

any answer to this?
Quote by PedroLesPaulVM
If you can find me a JCM 800 for 500 bucks PLEASE let me know!

Craigslist or local ads. I saw a 50 watt early 80's JCM 800 combo for $700cdn, I'm sure there are better deals out there. Also saw a Craigslist ad from a guy in L.A. selling his 5150 head for $350 cause he needed money badly for rent. Times are tough, people are losing jobs. If you have money to spend nows the time to get deals.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst