I want to buy an A/B switch so I can utilize both of my amps. One has killer cleans, but the distortion isn't as good as my other amp. This amp, however, doesn't have as good of a clean sound. Could I put it at the very end of my pedalboard signal chain? That way I could use the effects in my board with both amps? Will this have any negative effects on either amp going from one to the other (for example, having the dirty amp on and to the desired settings, and the clean amp on and to the desired settings, and then using the A/B switch as a channel selector?) The dirty amp is solid state and the clean amp is tube. I just want to make sure this is safe and reliable before I buy a switch.
Last edited by hhr at Nov 20, 2008,
you should be fine

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Personnaly I would seperate the effects in what you use on the clean amp and what you use on the overdriven amp, because switching will be a little bit complicated. For example, if you use reverb on the clean amp and you don't want it on the other one, you got a problem.
Of course if you use the same effects on both you can set it wright before you plug into the amps. Can't imagine why it should damage the amps or something.
If you use a lot of effects I suggest using a noise suppresor.
Hope this helps
That works well. If you wanted you could split some of the effects, so things like chorus or reverb would go to the clean amp and delays could go to the dirty amp, for example.

What amps are they?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Marshall MG (let the flaming begin) and a Crate V18-212. In my defense, the MG's distortion is heavily altered from stock with an EQ and distortion pedal, so it doesn't sound bad at all.
Quote by hhr
Marshall MG (let the flaming begin) and a Crate V18-212. In my defense, the MG's distortion is heavily altered from stock with an EQ and distortion pedal, so it doesn't sound bad at all.

But hey, whatever suits you. Why not run the EQ and distortion into the Crate? I get the impression you simply don't know how to tweak it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I can't duplicate the distorted sound that I'm looking for out of the Crate amp...even with the EQ pedal. Its still too warm and just overdriven...not super distorted.
Quote by hhr
I can't duplicate the distorted sound that I'm looking for out of the Crate amp...even with the EQ pedal. Its still too warm and just overdriven...not super distorted.

That probably requires a better distortion pedal. I'm guessing you need a more metal-voiced distortion? You could always run a metal muff, although somebody on here probably has a better idea than that.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

You could indeed buy a better distortion pedal to drive your crate even harder.

But to answer your question... If you're running an EQ and distortion into the Marshall MG you would go

Guitar > AB Pedal (1 side goign straight to Crate) > other side goes to EQ > Overdrive > Marshall
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
OK, I was actually wanting to put it at the end of the signal chain as it exits my pedalboard, so that I can use my board on both amps (I would separate them, but some effects I would use on both; like flange and delay). So would this method work?

Guitar>Pedalboard(with A/B switch as LAST PEDAL)>A side to Crate amp for cleans>B side to Marshall for distortion
I actually place my AB swicth before certain effects in my chain. usually I have tone, EQ, Wah and Distortion pedals before the ABY box, then I have the delays effects specifically for the clean after the AB box. Just to avoid unwanted tone sucking for BOTH amps.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.