hi, i have been playing for about 7 - 8 months and i SUCK really hard
the only song i can play (excluding the solos) is Fear of the dark by Iron Maiden
every time i want to practice a song i realize its very hard and i stop playing it and look for an other
i just want to ask u guys if u can give me some songs to learn that may improve my skills
thx
Back In Black - AC/DC

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
PRACTICE! don't depends too much on just playing alot of songs to get skilled. scales, alt. picking, tipping, ect. work on basic skills. playing iron maiden for 7 months won't get you too far.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Boss pedals drain power like a girlfriend drains your bank account.

GEAR:
4 string warwick corvette $$ BO

acustic 200 head & 410 cab
Quote by DanielFX
the only song i can play (excluding the solos) is Fear of the dark by Iron Maiden
every time i want to practice a song i realize its very hard and i stop playing it and look for an other
i just want to ask u guys if u can give me some songs to learn that may improve my skills
thx

The first song I learned was Soothsayer by Buckethead (sans the shredfest, obviously)...check it out, experiment with the minor scale, play the verses and chorus (especially if you have delay / wah / distortion pedals ), etc.

A couple of the first full songs that I learned that still remain my favorites to play due in part to sheer funnitude include Contagion and Elder Misanthropy by The Black Dahlia Murder, czech 'em out

If you're not into any of that, The Trooper (Maiden) or Cowboys From Hell (Pantera) may be tailored to your liking.

Edit: Also, Six by All That Remains is a great (and fun) metal song to practice..tremolo picking, palm muting, string skipping, a nice little solo, etc. Just remember..practice slow at first if you can't play it full speed!
Last edited by Skatality at Nov 20, 2008,
Practice and start doing things that you're not good at and keep doing them until you get good at them
yeah, just practice thats where i went wrong, the only help ive had is someone showed me how to read tabs, & i was off, but after 2 years of just tryin to play songs, i've gottan back to what i need to learn, now i'm learning scales and techniques, and its helped alot

if you want some good songs to start with
hells bells-ac/dc
smell's like teen spirit- nirvana it ain't to bad
simple man- lynard skynard
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
thx aloooot
for all of you
Last edited by DanielFX at Nov 20, 2008,
Ive been playing for about 7 months now and what really helped me out was downloading guitar pro. You can slow down the music note for note and play along with it. I make sure to practice at least an hour a day. Your not going to progress much without practice. Yea its frustrating as hell the first few months or maybe still is for you since you havent progressed enough. But youll get to a point where your fingers start to do what you want them to and it becomes fun. Stick with it and really apply yourself to do it each day.
Quote by mchnhd4
Ive been playing for about 7 months now and what really helped me out was downloading guitar pro. You can slow down the music note for note and play along with it. I make sure to practice at least an hour a day. Your not going to progress much without practice. Yea its frustrating as hell the first few months or maybe still is for you since you havent progressed enough. But youll get to a point where your fingers start to do what you want them to and it becomes fun. Stick with it and really apply yourself to do it each day.

+1 to the whole idea of using Guitar Pro..totally worth looking into. Guitar Pro has a ton of sick features, but one I'll mention here..you can play the song back at any speed that you're comfortable with..pretty bomb
i face the same problem as you most often than not but then the one thing that keeps from getting frustrated is that i keep trying new stuff on the guitar ......... so i temporarily abandon songs but a month later i find it a lil easier to play than i had the first time cos playing some other song has improved my skills slightly...... but then at some point of time u ll really need to practise a song hard to get good at it ...... its more of a mental war , u gotta force urself to practise it.
Quote by Skatality

Edit: Also, Six by All That Remains is a great (and fun) metal song to practice..tremolo picking, palm muting, string skipping, a nice little solo, etc. Just remember..practice slow at first if you can't play it full speed!

Whoa now, OP said he can barely play one song, and you're throwing one that requires a decent amount of technicality to pull it off well. Even if he plays this super slow, it's probably going to discourage him more than trying a simpler song
Quote by DanielFX
thx

then you're obviously playing songs too hard for you.
You havent made any improvements in those 8 months? go back and learn the basics, they should help you, and learn to alternate pick (if you havent).

Before you learn a song you practice, practice string skipping, scales, chords, alternate picking, tremolo picking etc etc.

Try learning Sweet Child O' Mine, you might be able to tackle the solo but if you cant then thats OK, the whole song is pretty hard for a beginner.

or if you really wanna push yourself, stairway to heaven's solo, imo its not really hard, just keep practicing.

or if you really think you suck...
Plain White T's- hey there delilah
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
you should download guitar pro 5, its the best computer program ever made :P you can practice by playing along to songs, it makes it easier to learn and read tabs, you can download different guitar exercises and play along to those, and you can write your own music and play along to it
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard