I was wondering if anyone knows a mod specific to giving the DS-1 more output. I just bent it and gave it an oscillator mode, but the volume cut is so bad when I turn it on I have to turn the volume all the way up to get unity.
im not sure entirely, but look into the Keeley mods

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=10

it's supposed to make the DS-1 sound VERY nice, tone wise, but im sure it increases it's output
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Nov 20, 2008,
kurtlives91's mod is better and more versatile imho.

As for volume mods, I think that if you remove the volume pot from the circuit, the decreased load will boost the volume a bit (but then you'd be out of a volume control)...
I did a mix of Hansen's minimal mods 2 and 3 and found that my DS-1 is actually much louder than it used to be. Not as harsh, more subtle, but the volume is definately higher.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
I need a schematic or something. Showing me the pedal that sounds good doesn't help. Thanks though. I was actually thinking of contacting him and seeing what he thought.
Try LED's in place of the normal diodes. This should give a volume boost but it will affect the compresion.
Quote by Jahsoul
I need a schematic or something. Showing me the pedal that sounds good doesn't help. Thanks though. I was actually thinking of contacting him and seeing what he thought.

schematics are easy to find, just google search it. It doesn't help much unless you know electronics, though. The PCB board is labeled. So if it saids to replace D14, you desolder D14, pull it out and put the new on in and solder. Simple as that. I'll actually give you what I did with mine.
C = caps, R = resistors and D = diodes
C5 - .01uf
C11 - .047uf
D4 - 1n4001 (but just about any diode, including LEDs, will work, they'll just give you a differant sound)
R16 - 4.7k
R14 - 4.7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HbNUbGT33A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgFfK8dYfH4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89zdapSXfg4

initially, I wasn't too pleased with the mod, but after futzing with it enough, I've really warmed up to it, I really like it, actually. Plus, it's open to interpretation and other mods. I'm planning on getting another DS-1 just to do analog man's JCM mod.
Quote by Thomme
schematics are easy to find, just google search it. It doesn't help much unless you know electronics, though. The PCB board is labeled. So if it saids to replace D14, you desolder D14, pull it out and put the new on in and solder. Simple as that. I'll actually give you what I did with mine.
C = caps, R = resistors and D = diodes
C5 - .01uf
C11 - .047uf
D4 - 1n4001 (but just about any diode, including LEDs, will work, they'll just give you a differant sound)
R16 - 4.7k
R14 - 4.7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HbNUbGT33A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgFfK8dYfH4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89zdapSXfg4

initially, I wasn't too pleased with the mod, but after futzing with it enough, I've really warmed up to it, I really like it, actually. Plus, it's open to interpretation and other mods. I'm planning on getting another DS-1 just to do analog man's JCM mod.

Hate to break it to ya bud but none of those mods are making the pedal louder. Your just adjusting some filters, your accenting different frequencies but nothing is being boosted. All those mods are passive.
Quote by kurtlives91
Hate to break it to ya bud but none of those mods are making the pedal louder. Your just adjusting some filters, your accenting different frequencies but nothing is being boosted. All those mods are passive.

no, but the given mod makes my DS-1 louder sounding. It may not have a boost in signal, but it does make it sound louder, by giving it a more filled out tone. And it seems that at least someone was interested in it.

I would have loved to try out your's, but from your recordings, it seems to sound like a poodle puking.
Last edited by Thomme at Dec 2, 2008,
Well Thomme the "louder" is in your head as none of those mods are boosting your signals. More power to you though if you think you have made an electronics break through with your five component passive mod.

I clearly stated in my thread that I have a crappy recording system and the pedal does not sound like it does in the recording.

Many people have tried my mods and had great success, ask them there has been a lot. I tweaked that design for many many hours, do you think I would have bothered posting the extensive mod if it soundet like crap. Think buddy....think

Thanks for being mature...poodle puking.
Quote by kurtlives91
Well Thomme the "louder" is in your head as none of those mods are boosting your signals. More power to you though if you think you have made an electronics break through with your five component passive mod.

I clearly stated in my thread that I have a crappy recording system and the pedal does not sound like it does in the recording.

Many people have tried my mods and had great success, ask them there has been a lot. I tweaked that design for many many hours, do you think I would have bothered posting the extensive mod if it soundet like crap. Think buddy....think

Whoah there, Mr. Maturity. I'm not sure this is the proper way to handle someone's difference in taste, especially when their animosity is in response to your condescension. Did you think you were going to make friends, all "Hate to break it to you, bud" and stuff? No, I think you wanted to feel like the smartest man on the internet. So maybe just be nice next time, and you won't have to find out that not everyone thinks you're a pedal wizard.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
Quote by Invader Jim
Thomme, don't even fuck with this dude.

I second that.

EDIT: He is a pedal wizard.

All childish fighting aside, stop arguing, it's the internet. TO be honest, this Thomme guy is a bit cocky, so Kurtlives didn't do anything wrong.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by kurtlives91

actually, when I was scrounging the differant mods, I seriously considered yours. I was intrigued by your componant swaps. It came down to that or the Keeley Mod. Until I heard your clips. Seriously: $10 mic for computers, it works. So I started looking into the Keely mods and then found hansens. What can I say, I'm'a lazy man!

But I can tell you, I may not have done anything to boost my signal, but like I said, I boasted the right frequencies and lowered the loads in the right places, I guess, because it definately (and get this, I'm not saying that it scientifically is, I'm saying it SOUNDS! SOUNDS! LOUDER!) sounds louder. You may know your mods and all your caps and resistors, but honestly... it's hard to be talked down to by a guy who talks about modding pedals, but then records out the USB port on his Digitech. And then tries to tell me that the way my mod sounds isn't how a mod sounds. Biggest problem with the UG boards is people telling you that what you did flat out didn't happen because they're supposed to be the absolute ending authority on something.

So, you spent hours on your DS-1 mod, that doesn't make you the absolute god of DS-1 mods. I spent 12 hours reading, annotating and writing about Kiran Desai's Inheratance of Loss, but I'm not going to sit here and claim that I'm the end all authority on her book.

Just my opinion, though. Feel free to disagree, but I know what I hear. And I hear a pedal that sounds fuller, louder and better. Might just be that it sounds fuller that it sounds louder, though. Which, if that's the case, it still SOUNDS louder. It may not put out a more powerful signal, but it SOUNDS louder.
Quote by Øttər
I second that.

EDIT: He is a pedal wizard.

All childish fighting aside, stop arguing, it's the internet. TO be honest, this Thomme guy is a bit cocky, so Kurtlives didn't do anything wrong.
Takes two to argue. Nobody invited you to chime in, so you're feeding into it. I don't think Thomme came off cocky before Kurtlives butted in, I think he offered some kind of helpful advice. So clearly this situation can be seen in multiple lights.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
Quote by drewsta42
Whoah there, Mr. Maturity. I'm not sure this is the proper way to handle someone's difference in taste, especially when their animosity is in response to your condescension. Did you think you were going to make friends, all "Hate to break it to you, bud" and stuff? No, I think you wanted to feel like the smartest man on the internet. So maybe just be nice next time, and you won't have to find out that not everyone thinks you're a pedal wizard.

That's exactly it... you figured me out.

I can talk anyway I want to on the Internet, as can you.

All this talk of a mod that was boosting your signal was false. I had to clearly state it was false.

No foul play here....I got called out (for the wrong reasons) for my hard work and decisions to share with the community. I responded accordingly.

I don't care what people think of me....That's something most people should learn how to do.
Quote by drewsta42
Takes two to argue. Nobody invited you to chime in, so you're feeding into it. I don't think Thomme came off cocky before Kurtlives butted in, I think he offered some kind of helpful advice. So clearly this situation can be seen in multiple lights.

No I mean in other threads. I just don't like him much. However, the way he just handled this gave a me new respect for him.

Anyway, if you wish to discuss this further, just do it on my profile so I don't get reported for the spammage.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Thomme
actually, when I was scrounging the differant mods, I seriously considered yours. I was intrigued by your componant swaps. It came down to that or the Keeley Mod. Until I heard your clips. Seriously: $10 mic for computers, it works. So I started looking into the Keely mods and then found hansens. What can I say, I'm'a lazy man!

But I can tell you, I may not have done anything to boost my signal, but like I said, I boasted the right frequencies and lowered the loads in the right places, I guess, because it definately (and get this, I'm not saying that it scientifically is, I'm saying it SOUNDS! SOUNDS! LOUDER!) sounds louder. You may know your mods and all your caps and resistors, but honestly... it's hard to be talked down to by a guy who talks about modding pedals, but then records out the USB port on his Digitech. And then tries to tell me that the way my mod sounds isn't how a mod sounds. Biggest problem with the UG boards is people telling you that what you did flat out didn't happen because they're supposed to be the absolute ending authority on something.

So, you spent hours on your DS-1 mod, that doesn't make you the absolute god of DS-1 mods. I spent 12 hours reading, annotating and writing about Kiran Desai's Inheratance of Loss, but I'm not going to sit here and claim that I'm the end all authority on her book.

Just my opinion, though. Feel free to disagree, but I know what I hear. And I hear a pedal that sounds fuller, louder and better. Might just be that it sounds fuller that it sounds louder, though. Which, if that's the case, it still SOUNDS louder. It may not put out a more powerful signal, but it SOUNDS louder.

I am happy for you.

I spend my money where I see fit, if you would like to buy me a nice microphone please do so. Until that time I will continue to spend my money how I like.

I am very happy with my DS-1, I hope you feel the same about yours.

Please don't call my hard work/contributions crap and I can be pleasant towards you.
Quote by Øttər
No I mean in other threads. I just don't like him much. However, the way he just handled this gave a me new respect for him.

Anyway, if you wish to discuss this further, just do it on my profile so I don't get reported for the spammage.

I don't come here to make friends, I come here to be entertained, give advice and get advice. If you don't like me, so be it. The reason I come off as so cocky is because I've been playing guitar for 9 years now and I'll post a response to something and then a 14 or 15 year old will come rolling in and use forum acquired knowledge and claim that everything I just said is wrong, when in fact I EXPERIENCED IT. And then I argue.

So, I say you'll notice a differance with a pickup swap and then someone comes in and says, "you won't notice a differance, that amp you like it a pieace of ****, change it out, this guy's wrong, changing your pickups will make no differance."

It's like when I'm working and I'm selling a computer to someone and someone else walks up and says, "you don't want Vista, Vista sucks. It doesn't run right." "Well sir, have you ever used vista?" "No, but I know it sucks."

Quote by kurtlives91
I am happy for you.

I spend my money where I see fit, if you would like to buy me a nice microphone please do so. Until that time I will continue to spend my money how I like.

I am very happy with my DS-1, I hope you feel the same about yours.

Please don't call my hard work/contributions crap and I can be pleasant towards you.

I never said it was crap. I said the recording was crap. Because anyone who works with electronics in the fashion that you do should know very well that running DI from a Digitech in USB is going to sound like a poodle puking. I'm telling you $10 microphone from a computer store, you know? The little sticks? Then get Audacity for free, and you can record viable, usable clips. Seriously, it's $10, and you'll get decent recordings.

So, sorry if I offended you two in any way, I just can't stand people telling me that facts are lies and I come off as a dick sometimes.
Last edited by Thomme at Dec 3, 2008,