Got my new guitar last night and "hot rodded" already.

I swapped a Gibson 496T Alnico in the bridge and ran a push/pull coil tap to the volume knob. I also ran the neck to the coil tap. This thing will pull out SOOO many different tones. Also threw on some black vintage Gibson SG knobs. I think it's officially my new favorite guitar. I'll try and post up some video clips later today. Feel free to share some love/hate/pointless comments

EDIT: Here's the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_GPtT5j1fE
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Last edited by ianae86 at Nov 20, 2008,
damn thats awesome...i always liked the squier jagmaster...something about it is more respectable than a ****ty squier strat...and a gibson 496 alnico humbucker?! damn. i'd almost wonder why you'd put such a good pickup in a cheap guitar...well it must make it sound alot better...pretty sweet guitar, never seen anything like that before.
what did the knobs look like before you swapped them?
Quote by dbl93100
damn thats awesome...i always liked the squier jagmaster...something about it is more respectable than a ****ty squier strat...and a gibson 496 alnico humbucker?! damn. i'd almost wonder why you'd put such a good pickup in a cheap guitar...well it must make it sound alot better...pretty sweet guitar, never seen anything like that before.
what did the knobs look like before you swapped them?

Thanks man! Yeah, the Jagmaster's are definitely heads above the rest of the Squier lineup in terms of build quality. Maybe this is the first in what will hopefully be a long line up well built Squier instruments.

As for the picukp, I got a good deal from a friend of mine who had it lying around used

And the original knobs were really cheap little white ones. I didn't like the feel or the looks of them. Thanks again for the props!
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
I like this type of guitar Fender makes actually it's the only Fender I would ever consider buying. You did a nice job on it I can't wait to hear it. I wish i could take it for a spin! LOL
Looks lovely, Hows the action and what were the stock strings?
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by johnro6659
I like this type of guitar Fender makes actually it's the only Fender I would ever consider buying. You did a nice job on it I can't wait to hear it. I wish i could take it for a spin! LOL

Thanks a lot! And just so you know, I posted a link to the video in the first post. Here it is again though, in case you missed it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_GPtT5j1fE
Nothing worthwhile in the playing, but at least you can hear the differences.

Quote by xander307
Looks lovely, Hows the action and what were the stock strings?

The action feels pretty good for not being adjusted. They had 9's on it from the store (no thanks) which I swapped out to some 10s. I'll let those hang out on the neck for a while and see how it adapts. Overall I'm pleased with the factory setup. Maybe a SMIDGE high after the 15th fret but extremely playable.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by na10tbolt
I love Jagmasters and that takes the cake.

That's awesome to hear, man! Thanks a ton! I knew I had to do something besides the inevitable pickup swap, haha. If it's gonna hang with my bizarro strat, it's gotta' stand out :P

SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Sounds great I can't believe I missed the link to the vid. I myself used to play very light stirngs 8s I moved up to 9s maily because I have so many guitars the bulk packs didn't come in 8s and I save some dough buy buying the bulk packs. I am not crazy about 10s myself they are too heavy for me. I tried several Jagmasters and I couldn't find one I liked. How did it sound before you modded it. That might be my problem. I got a nice set of Gibson burstbuckers I would love to try in one.
Hey to each their own, haha. Sorry if it seemed like I was dissing people who used 9s, they're just not for me. The stock bridge pickup wasn't bad. A little muddy if anything. I think I'm actually gonna throw it in my old 80s Jackson bridge. The old pickup in that has gone microphonic so I'm curious to see how the stock works out. I'll be sure to post a vid of the Jackson once I swap it. As far as the rest of the feel, it's all about finding the specific one that works for you. Even a guitar as mass produced as this still has little variances between models. Keep looking if you really want one, I'm sure you'll have some luck
SLAP energy drinks ftw.