Hey guys, I'll try to make these short since I do know you must get alot of these?

Firstly, I've been doing some googling and reading up on changing strings since I need to change the strings on my acoustic guitar for the first time. Just wondering, but I grabbed myself a pair of small thin head pliers, these will be sufficient for cutting guitar strings right?

Secondly, this is more of a string question. I know generally how the numbers on strings go as they represent gauge/thickness. Now I'm just wondering , but is there really any popular strings out there? I am tossing up between elixir and d'addario, but if someone could check out this link and see if there's any good names? http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=listProduct&cat=DISCOUNT+STRINGS&subcat=STRINGS+-+ACOUSTIC

Now I know alot of pplz have told me its personal preference.. but surely there must be a type of d'addario or elixir strings which are generally more popular overall? I'm looking for something that lasts long (although if its double the price for like 5% of the extra life this sort of thing i would pass over for cost-benefit reasons), and most importantly I'm after more of the nice, vibrant , sort of loud sounding strings as I do appreciate the tone/quality of what i play.

I notice there are different type of strings, like d'addario and elixirs some state phosphorous string, some say bronze or something? There seems a few diff types, what would the differences be and what would you guys recommend?

And Lastly but what sort of gauge would you guys recommend as being sort of in between? I'm new to guitar'ing but I feel like the lightest strings wouldn't do me justice either as I do like to practice and the sound I achieve and I am willing to put in the effort to hold down the thicker gauge strings. So i figured something in the middle? But what gauges would be considered medium/middleish?

Thanks in advance!

P.S is there any sort of cheap, basic maintenance to do when I take the strings off? Like I know pplz clean the fretboard but what sort of basic work can I do in that sense? Just some tissue and water and wiping dust away?
Honestly, you may be thinking a bit too much about this.

Try this: get some D'Addario .011's for acoustic guitar.

Then once you've played them, you'll know whether you like them.

When you next need new strings, decide whether you want to go heavier or lighter, and go for Elixirs.

Decide what you prefer.
Hey man, I'd recommend just going to your local music shop and asking someone there. They'll be able to explain what strings are better for what. Those pliers should cut the strings, I use scissors to cut mine and it works fine. At worst just start youtubing string types i'm sure theres demos/reviews of them
scissors? Wow. I can't imagine the number that a low e string could do on a pair of scissors.

I have a pair of dykes, but any cutting pliers will work. I've poked holes in my fingers enough that now instead of cutting the new strings, I bend them back and forth until they break flush with the tuner peg. Then I just use the dykes to finsh them off if the wound part of the string doesn't break clean.

As for what type/brand/size/etc, I agree that your best bet is to just ask the local shop what the most popular is. That's always a good place to start. You may want to bring your guitar with you so they can see what size strings you've got on there now. If you change string size, you'll need to make some adjustments to the truss rod and possibly the nut & saddle. You can usually avoid that by sticking with the same string size.
Quote by blue_strat
Honestly, you may be thinking a bit too much about this.

Try this: get some D'Addario .011's for acoustic guitar.

Then once you've played them, you'll know whether you like them.

When you next need new strings, decide whether you want to go heavier or lighter, and go for Elixirs.

Decide what you prefer.

So go with D'addario's to sort out my string gauge etc first, before finding one I like and going with the elixirs? So you'd say overall elixirs would be better strings than d'addario given I know the right gauge i need?

I did actually go into one music store to ask about which string types were more popular overall.. the response i got was the usual how everyone has strings they love and hate, and some love d'addario to bits but some think they are the pits and elixir is the best. So in the end all he gave me was a "go with your preference" answer. Now i know personal preference is a true point, but with all things in life usually the more popular/good products tend to be popular with a wide range of people. So I just wanted to go with that first, and if I don't like it I can try another brand/string sizes?

Yeah I'd rather not mess with the truss rods and internals since I know nothing about guitars and i'd rather cut back on costs (being the poor person I am) on having to pay someone to adjust things. Would just bringing the removed strings to the store suffice, I mean as experts are they be able to recognize gauge size without the strings being actually on the guitar? Its a fair drive... but due to my car circumstances taking a whole guitar is kind of hard (long story) so I'd take just the strings if that's enough?

Also is it just myth or proper advice when they say take one string off at a time rather than just all? And besides time, is there any reason why everyone usually cuts their strings rather than just unwind it off properly from the head? Is it just simply time?
Seriously, just change your strings already!

Walk into a shop and pick out a completely random set of strings that isn't made by a guitar manufacturer (who will only be making the strings so they don't have to pay other companies for strings to put on their new guitars) and PUT THEM ON YOUR GUITAR.

1. Take your old strings off
2. Put your new strings on
3. Tune up

It really is that simple.