So I want to start playing more jazz, I know a bit about walking(thanks to Sinans and JazzRockFeels write ups), but the thing is, I dont know any jazz bands/musicians/standards.

The furthest my jazz collection goes is Jaco Pastorius/Weather Report which is more Fusion than jazz.

Can you reccomend some songs, artists that I can try out my walking with? Preferably something simple so that I can go by a chord chart.

Also, some of the only names I know in jazz are virtuosoes/"solo artists" like Charles Mingus, Ella Fitzgerald, John Coltrane, Chet Baker. I don't know of any groups, will the bass playing be different to these artists than in groups(obviously in Mingus' case).

Thanks.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Just jam 12-bar blues. Simple, good for practice.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I've PMed you some links with the 3 volumes of the real book on. Good place to start with jazz. For walking I'd go with simple modal stuff like So What by Miles Davis and Impressions by Coltrane. I'd also look into some of the "classic" standards such as Autumn Leaves, All the Things You Are, Body and Soul, My Funny Valentine, Summertime, Stella by Starlight, In a Sentimental Mood, and On Green Dolphin Street.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Autumn leaves. The bane of all jazz students. But it has the classic jazz form and it is great for doing walk ups and done. Summertime is the same deal. (A foggy day) in London town is also a cool little tune to walk to.

If you want practice with a CD, get Jamey Aebersold's book and CD "Maiden Voyage" (vol 54). It has a music minus one CD and you can keep the key boards and drums and cut out the bass or just channel the bass to hear some ideas.
In all honesty I don't think All the Things should be attempted as quickly as people seem to do. Even though its a popular song it cycles through 5 keys and it's not the greatest piece to attempt unless you're already confident with the constant key changes.
Founder of Jaco society

Key changes make songs.

My band does a medley and we have it in 3 different keys just to make it sound better/fit the follow on song. None of the medley's songs are in their original keys anyway, apart from smells like teen spirit.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
walkabout - rhcp?

good bassline. i guess the whole song isn't really walking.

but i like to jam 12 bar blues and work different techniques including walking.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by sinan90
In all honesty I don't think All the Things should be attempted as quickly as people seem to do. Even though its a popular song it cycles through 5 keys and it's not the greatest piece to attempt unless you're already confident with the constant key changes.

I agree, but it still seems to be on the rotation for beginning jazz artists. Plus, it's a good way to test what you've learnt about walking lines with easier blues progressions and the like.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I agree, but it still seems to be on the rotation for beginning jazz artists. Plus, it's a good way to test what you've learnt about walking lines with easier blues progressions and the like.

I think All th Things should be the 5th or so proper tune to learn after sorting out the blues personally, but a lot of people seem to jump in with that first, then make a hash of making the cycling of the keys sound smooth.

EDIT: And be prepared to know the same standard in more than one key, for example Autumn Leaves is usually either in Em/G, Cm/Eb, Gm/Bb. You need to be able to change the walking patterns you might use quite often to fit the key and the range of the bass it's played on rather than just transposing an idea in one key to all the others.
Founder of Jaco society

Last edited by sinan90 at Nov 20, 2008,