Page 1 of 5
so i was in english class today. were readin the book of mice and men. it was my turn to read in my group of four, consisting of me and 3 black girls. this book is loaded with cuss words such as the f,b,s,d words, and apparently, the "N" word. walp, my turn to read, the word ****** shows up. i read it allowed, they get offended, i get wrote up and sent to the office on claims of racial slurs. now, if the words like **** show up, its ok to say, but the n word shows up, dont you dare say that. makes me mad. anyone have any similar experiences to give this thread a point other then to blow off steam?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
I think I speak for everyone when I say: Send that story in to a newspaper, seriously. That's so epic I don't know where to begin. I can just imagine that:

Teacher: Read this book out loud
You: *reads it out loud*
Class: racist!
Principal: You racist son of a bitch, reading the book we distributed in class out loud!
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Nov 20, 2008,
Of course they were offended, they're girls! You should have called them niggeresses.
Dude that's Bs and if you show them the book they should let you off.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
So you had to read the word 'n!gger' from a book and you got sent out?

That's kinda stupid.
Just tell them you were just reading straight outta the book. Then they SHOULD understand.
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
It's in the book.... bloody women, eh?
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by A7xRGods
So you had to read the word 'n!gger' from a book and you got sent out?

That's kinda stupid.

I agree complaints to the local news FTW
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Just explain that the word was in the text if you get in trouble. Vast amounts of literature uses the N-word. Your school should understand, or they wouldn't set the book in the first place.

The people who reported you were idiots.
Weird, I had to read that bit too. I left the N word out though.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by blackflag49
Did they not see the word in the text?

That's dumb.

i think they should have seen it, or they werent paying attention. idk maybe they thought it was "inappropriate" to say it
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
you were soooo set up for that
either way you shouldnt have said it but still you were set up
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
You were reading what you were asked to by the teacher, they don't have a case on you, not a hope.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by fender4482
i read it allowed

This proves that there is no god.

Well, your school sucks it seems.
I never had such problems.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Weird, I had to read that bit too. I left the N word out though.

I had to read it and just said it as it was printed. Nobody said anything... probably because nobody was retarded at the time.
Well, they're incredibly stupid, and stupid people's opinions don't count.

ololololol then fredz opinyun dont cownt huhuhurr
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Are you sure the word was really there?
Maybe you have a unique hybrid of dyslexia and Tourret's that causes you to read curse words
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
You probably should have just not said it considering the situation you were in but you obviously were reading from the book as asked, if the girls are offended they should be asking why the school allows books with thoses kinds of words in the class
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Quote by fender4482
so i was in english class today. were readin the book of mice and men. it was my turn to read in my group of four, consisting of me and 3 black girls. this book is loaded with cuss words such as the f,b,s,d words, and apparently, the "N" word. walp, my turn to read, the word ****** shows up. i read it allowed, they get offended, i get wrote up and sent to the office on claims of racial slurs. now, if the words like **** show up, its ok to say, but the n word shows up, dont you dare say that. makes me mad. anyone have any similar experiences to give this thread a point other then to blow off steam?

sue the school.
Thats high school for ya. Its better in college. No one gets offended at language that easily. If you are reading it from a book, then it has literary merit which is protected under the first amendment, even sexually explicit material that is detailed in novels is fully protected under the first amendment, and based on supreme court rulings: a book may not be censored if it is of literary merit, even if it contains contains graphic language or sexually explicit material.
Last edited by in2thesun88 at Nov 20, 2008,
Hey, you're that n!gger guy!

Anyway, just explain, nobody is that unreasonable, surely?
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Honestly if they get offended they ARE ******s
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

Totally go to the news and throw a fit about this. I took an African American Lit class in college and there were many times when reading aloud or writing papers that I had to use the n word. It's literature. The author put it in there for a reason and a purpose, skipping over it skips the impact of the word. The media will have a field day with this. What were you reading btw?
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
Quote by Putrefaction
Honestly if they get offended they ARE ******s

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
seriously take it to a paper and if you can do it again and if the teacher says somethin say "im not a fin racist i hate all you fin a$$holes equaly so f off and die"
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
That's completely hairbrained. I would tell your principal that unless they remove the write-up from your record, you're going to go to the news.

My father used to be a journalist, and that's the kind of story they thrive on. Your principal will know better than to attract such negative attention to his/herself.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Quote by fallingforever
Totally go to the news and throw a fit about this. I took an African American Lit class in college and there were many times when reading aloud or writing papers that I had to use the n word. It's literature. The author put it in there for a reason and a purpose, skipping over it skips the impact of the word. The media will have a field day with this. What were you reading btw?

It's 'Of Mice & Men' by John Steinbeck. It's a book that is a part of the AQA exam board's English Literature GCSE syllabus.

We didn't get in **** about it, but then again there were no black kids in our group.
NOPE.
I was Crooks when i was reading it in class. I read the line "cause i'm black" then everyone in the class laughed at me and made jokes about it for the rest of the year.

Quote by Kensai
I think I speak for everyone when I say: Send that story in to a newspaper, seriously. That's so epic I don't know where to begin. I can just imagine that:

Teacher: Read this book out loud
You: *reads it out loud*
Class: racist!
Principal: You racist son of a bitch, reading the book we distributed in class out loud!

You do.

...or, for me, at least
Quote by charvel_man
It's 'Of Mice & Men' by John Steinbeck. It's a book that is a part of the AQA exam board's English Literature syllabus.

I see absolutely no reason why you should have skipped over the word. I believe there a few points in the book where Steinbeck uses that word. It's a) a time period difference and b) meant to make a point. Go to a newspaper
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
You should have really said that one word LOUDLY, then paused and stared at the girls. That at least would have made the trouble worth it.
Page 1 of 5